Windows 10: Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

Discus and support Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Pavilion laptop with Win8 recovery option. I've upgraded my Win8 to Win10 via the free option. Now I need a clean install (format c: equal).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ScothMcBeast, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

I have Pavilion laptop with Win8 recovery option. I've upgraded my Win8 to Win10 via the free option. Now I need a clean install (format c: equal).

Should I:
    1. Install Win10 directly from the usb flash I used to install my desktop? If so what happens with product key, can it be found and saved before I run down my laptop? Does it matter that I'm sharing an IP adress with the desktop = another (actually purchased) Win10?

2. Run full recovery on laptop and when win8 pops up do another upgrade? Is it still free?

3. other?

Thanks for help.

:)

ScothMcBeast, Dec 27, 2016

2. Hi! Can i activate windows 10 pro with windows 8.1 pro key?

I've activate my Win10. But not sure if it is by my Win8 key.

My step is:

1. Clean install Win8 on my C drive, and activate with Win8 key;

2. Use ISO burnt Win10 CD boot my VAIO, and upgrade install Win10, this is surely Win10 activated;

3. Use ISO burnt Win10 CD again to boot, and make a clean install, here is the key point, find a GENERIC key for your clean installation, my Win8 key doesn't work!! After installed, Win10 properties shows activated, I've tried to change key to my Win8 key,
    but always get error message.

Anyway, it's already activated, why need to change any more...

Before this step, I've tried with the same generic key to install Win10, but need activation again. The difference of no need change key only happened after my upgrade install Win10 from clean install of Win8.

Hope this helpful.

Cheers,

LeiZhou_UK, Dec 27, 2016
  3. windows 8 to Windows 10

The free upgrade offer expired more than a year ago.

No, you cannot use the Win8 OEM product key to validate a clean install of Win10.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Dec 27, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

Use this option. With Internet connection, if asked for product key, click on "Skip This Step" or "I don't have a product Key". Windows will be activated automatically.

topgundcp, Dec 27, 2016
  5. If that laptop has a Windows 8 OEM embedded key, it will be detected and used automatically. You won't be asked for a key of asked to select Home or Pro. The matching version is installed automatically. If you did the free upgrade your PC is currently activated with a Digital License. That same License will be used this time around. The key that goes with it is a generic key that everybody that did the free upgrade has. This utility will show you what's what.
    ShowKeyPlus
    If you did the free upgrade from the factory installed OS you should be fine to clean install of Windows 10 and not worry about a key. Windows 10 install media will read and use Windows 8/8.1 and 10 OEM embedded keys. If at some point you upgraded from Home to Pro, and then did the free upgrade, that throws a little wrinkle into things. If that's the case post back and I'll elaborate more on what to do in that situation.

alphanumeric, Dec 28, 2016
  6. JackK Win User
    If that laptop has a Windows 8 OEM Windows will be activated automatically, but if it has an hacked copy it wont activated.

JackK, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

1. Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key? - Similar Threads - Win10 updated Win8

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Activation of Win11 Clean install with Win10 product key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Win11 Clean install with Win10 product key doesn't work: Hi, I'm located in The Netherlands and running licensed Win10 Home English.I have 2nd Hard drive on which I want to do a clean install of Win11. Just to get used to Win11 and migrate slowly, app by app, to Win11.My PC meets all the requirements for Win11 and I had no hardware...
  4. Activation of Win11 Clean install with Win10 product key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Win11 Clean install with Win10 product key doesn't work: Hi, I'm located in The Netherlands and running licensed Win10 Home English.I have 2nd Hard drive on which I want to do a clean install of Win11. Just to get used to Win11 and migrate slowly, app by app, to Win11.My PC meets all the requirements for Win11 and I had no hardware...
  5. WIN10 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN10 product key: My hard drive died and I do not know my WIN10 product key to reinstall. I am not able to get through to MS to find out what to do. HELP before the temp install expires https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-product-key/132432a3-fc0a-4721-b5f9-0940542862c7
  6. Retreive preinstalled Win10 product key before clean format.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retreive preinstalled Win10 product key before clean format.: Hi. My computer stopped working (HP Pavilion x2). I wanted to clean format it. Few problem occured. When i installed Win from MS site i got at the end of installation message that windows wasn't ably to update boot settings. (I am not able to delete partitions and create...
  7. Clean install Win10 with Update?

Clean install Win10 with Update?: I'm one of those people who generally does a clean install with every new major Windows release. The reason for this is general housekeeping: removing old software no longer needed, clearing out drivers and other files no longer used, etc. I'm curious how this sort of install...
  8. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...
  9. Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?: Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once desktop appears automatically...
  10. Cannot view product key on clean install

Cannot view product key on clean install: Ok, the more I read the more confused I get. Here's my problem: Have a computer with OEM Windows 7, been on there a few years. It's becoming somewhat goofy and decided to do a clean install of Windows 10. So, bought an OEM cd of 10 from Amazon ( home version). Came today....