Windows 10: Win10 updated, now black screen and won't boot

Discus and support Win10 updated, now black screen and won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm using a HP Pavilion laptop, not sure on the specs. The other day an update was installed and it auto-restarted. When I went to restart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MissQ, Dec 13, 2016.

1. MissQ Win User

Win10 updated, now black screen and won't boot

Hello,
    I'm using a HP Pavilion laptop, not sure on the specs. The other day an update was installed and it auto-restarted. When I went to restart again it showed there were more updates to install. After a few minutes of them being installed it went to a black screen. Windows refuses to boot. Auto repair stalls then black screen, system repair disc hangs then black screen, win10 install cd hangs and then black, it won't read Windows from a usb. I've tried a HD from another laptop but it says no bootable device. I cannot access advanced options to attempt a repair. When I run the win10 disc the message appears "press any key to boot from cd" and then the HP logo appears with the circles, the cd sounds like it's running but after a minute it goes to a black screen and the disc stops spinning. I let it sit for an hour to see if it would eventually come up but nothing. I am stuck, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

:)

MissQ, Dec 13, 2016

2. Windows Creator update crashed my computer

You are correct, it's the newest update. My computer won't even boot now. Just a black screen.

AmyMcMullen, Dec 13, 2016
  3. Win10 won't finish/install or boot

Date 12/12/15. I updated Win10 last night using the Windows Update utility. The update never finished and there were no error codes. Now the computer (laptop) won't boot. It takes a long time to show a black screen with the Start icon and search window
    at the bottom. The mouse pointer is shown and when I hover over anything at the bottom of the screen, the pointer turns into the blue circle, indicating it's busy.

It just sits there.

It's hosed.

Now, the older computer, that I'm using to write this, is asking me to restart to add updates. Yuk.

How can this new update be undone or fixed.

MissionViejoCA, Dec 13, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Sometimes you have to continually press the F7 or F8 button (or another Fnumber combination) at the splash screen to access boot options.

Bastet, Dec 13, 2016
  5. MissQ Win User
    I can get to the boot options and it boots from the cd, but after the HP splash screen it goes black again. I've pressed every F# key and only a few of them do anything but none give me a repair option. I set bios to enable legacy boot and put the cd drive first on the boot order.

MissQ, Dec 13, 2016
  6. Bastet Win User
    Bastet, Dec 13, 2016
  7. David H Win User
    It's a HP you use the ESC key to stall bootup. Then F10 for Bios setup and F9 for boot options F2 for Diagnostics

David H, Dec 13, 2016
  8. MissQ Win User

I tried the boot cd like Bastet suggested, the disc spins for about a minute with the windows splash screen and then the circles start spinning and disc stops (circles spin for another minute) then goes to black screen. No options menu comes up. Is that something that takes time? And if so, how long should it take?
    Thank you for the help so far.

MissQ, Dec 14, 2016
  9. I am on a HP 500-002a Desktop PC. Exactly the same issue after the update. Black screen and cannot access any menus/options to boot from a Windows 8 usb I recently made. I uninstalled Windows 10 on my laptop and now wishing I did the same thing on my desktop. Following in hopes of a solution or on the offchance I find a solution I will post here.

Yay once again for Windows 10 and Microsoft.. Useless, coercive, controlling company. *Sick

jewelesque, Dec 14, 2016
  10. MissQ Win User
    Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do?

MissQ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 updated, now black screen and won't boot - Similar Threads - Win10 updated black

2. Win10 Black screen with spinning loading circle + Black screen of death when booting in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Black screen with spinning loading circle + Black screen of death when booting in...: Hi Guys, i`m having trouble with a combination of a stuck blackscreen with loading spinning circle windows 10 and on top of that a black screen of death when wanting to reboot into safemode. This means i`m not able to repair anything.I have two SSD drives in good health with...
  3. Win10 Black screen with spinning loading circle + Black screen of death when booting in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Black screen with spinning loading circle + Black screen of death when booting in...: Hi Guys, i`m having trouble with a combination of a stuck blackscreen with loading spinning circle windows 10 and on top of that a black screen of death when wanting to reboot into safemode. This means i`m not able to repair anything.I have two SSD drives in good health with...
  4. Black screen, Now PC won't post.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen, Now PC won't post.: B450 Tomahawk Max Ryzen 5 3600x GTX 1660 Super Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200mhz Getting red CPU LED on motherboard. Have reseated RAM and CPU. Have also Removed CMOS battery Was having problems before with my PC BSOD, won't post I got new RAM and installed a...
  5. update failed now won't boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update failed now won't boot.: Update decided was going to install window 10 v 1909 was on 1809. Update failed and said was restoring previous settings 1809 however on reboot just got blinking cursor on screen. Downloaded Windows 10 to access recovery tools, tried all several times, restore, system...
  6. Windows won't boot,black screen

Windows won't boot,black screen: Hi,recently my laptop has been refusing to boot.I can not access the safe mode,I can not restore or repair.I tried booting from usb but it just loads forever,it loaded for 2 days without nothing happening.Please help.At this point I just want to start afresh I had backed up...
  7. Win10 won't boot

Win10 won't boot: Win10 is installed on a SSD and has had no problems until the other day. I have connected the SSD to my other PC and copied its contents. The SSD is C: drive and the system reserved parttion has letter F: If I try to boot from the SSD I get the error "no OS found" or...
  8. Win10 black screen

Win10 black screen: After booting, windows starts and shows login screen. It logs in and shows a blank screen. Cursor works and windows key too, taskbar, background image and apps are gone. Ctrl shift esc doesnt work but ctrl alt del works. I saw a post exactly like this and tried to fix it,...
  9. Screens now black after update

Screens now black after update: I had a techie update my 10 system to the latest (1903) but now most of my screens are black, particularly my desktop. Are there new commands in this build or something? I'm assuming it is to do with high contrast but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Before the update I...
  10. Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot

Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot: EDIT What actually went wrong and how to prevent this from happening to you: What happened was that when you installed Windows 10, the setup program saw the system partition and boot files on the old hard drive and, by default, updates the old system partition/boot...