Windows 10: Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login

Discus and support Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I upgraded my desktop computer from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 and everything seemed to be working. I was able to work on the computer without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/s400mpr, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login

I upgraded my desktop computer from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 and everything seemed to be working. I was able to work on the computer without problem for the rest of the day (hours). But the next day when I restarted the computer I got a black screen with flashing bottom taskbar and nothing else. That was after the Windows log in screen and the startup music.

Trying all kinds of reboots and startup repair options didn’t get me anywhere.

Thinking it might be a graphics driver issue I restarted in safe mode and was surprised that device manager was saying that the the graphics adapter driver was the “Microsoft Basic Display Driver” and not the Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti one.

I went online and found the Nvidia driver for Windows 10 and installed it (seemed successful) but when I rebooted I had the same black screen with flashing taskbar as before (after my login). Back in safe mode and device manager and it was back to the basic driver.

What should I do? Any suggestions? Thank you.

submitted by /u/s400mpr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/s400mpr, Jan 11, 2020

2. Black Screen with Pointer

Hi Costa,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We will surely help you with simple steps to resolve your issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Is the black screen with courser appears after login or before login?

• Did you make any changes to the computer, prior to the issue?
    I suggest you to refer to the below link where the same type of issue had been discussed, refer to the suggestion given by
    Sharath Srinivasa on August 7, 2015.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 11, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    NavyLCDR, Jan 11, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login

1. Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login - Similar Threads - Win10 upgrade black

2. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen After Login: Ok So When I Turn On My Computer I See A Completely Black Screen Except For Microsoft Edge Open On A New Tab I've Also Tried The Following:Opening The Advanced Startup Screen ~10 Times [It Just Appears As A Black Screen]Opening Control Panel [Doesn't Open]Alt-F4 [Doesn't...
  3. Black Screen Before Login Win10 After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen Before Login Win10 After Windows Update: I updated to version 2004 on Windows 10, now I get a 20-40 second black screen before login. It does bring me to the login screen after above time frame, I can log-in and PC functions and plays games fine. But it has me anxious to ever reboot my PC. Any thoughts on how to...
  4. Black Screen After Login

Black Screen After Login: i’m sure everyone’s heard this story about 10 times over, but every time i’ve logged in today it logs in to a black screen with a moveable cursor i’ve tried - fn+f8 (didn’t work) - windows key+ctrl+shift (didn’t work) - ctrl+alt+delete (worked but won’t open task manager) -...
  5. Win10 Logo -> 1 minute black screen -> login | SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Logo -> 1 minute black screen -> login | SSD Upgrade: Hello everybody i messing with a problem and i need some help.I have an HP laptop Pavilion G6 and recently i installed Windows 10 on it because i upgraded it with an SSD so i made a clean install.Once i finished the installation e.t.c. everything was working fine, the...
  6. Login Loop after upgrade from Windows 7

Login Loop after upgrade from Windows 7: We upgraded a few machines from Windows 7 to Windows 10 1909 (also tried 1903) and are having a strange problem. After the update, it logs in fine and all the programs run - everything looks great. After the first reboot, it goes into a login loop where you hit ctrl-alt-del,...
  7. Win10 Pro x64 Temporary Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro x64 Temporary Black Screen After Login: So I recently bought a Sager NP8268-s gaming laptop from XoticPC and here are the specs it came with: CPU: Intel Core i7-4170MQ 2.5-3.5 Ghz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M 6GB Storage: SSD - 128GB Micron m600 msata HDD - 1TB 7200RPM (SATA II - 3gb/s) RAM: 8GB DDR3...
  8. Black screen after 75% during upgrading to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after 75% during upgrading to win10: Hi, I successfully upgraded 2 computers, but have problem with my notebook HP ProBook 4320s. When upgrading reach 75% (100% installing drivers), black screen appears and I have to turn it off and on, then it restores to previous win7. I upgraded all drivers and BIOS with...
  9. Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10: I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. It seemed to install okay and asked me to log on and select setup preferences, which I did. I left it alone to finish setup and it went to sleep. Now I only get a black screen with an active cursor. I've tried multiple hard...
  10. Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login: Yesterday updated from Win7Pro to Win10Pro my old Lenovo Thinkpad x220. The laptop does have the original 320GB HDD and a mSATA 240GB SSD, the latest used as main disk now with Windows 10. For security reasons I never deleted the older Win7 installation in the HDD. At...