Windows 10: Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or Howto Convert

Discus and support Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or Howto Convert in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HLP files got deprecated in Win7 but workarounds worked. Win10 v1909 appears to eliminate the ability to execute (use) HLP files. I have a number of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dw85745, Dec 2, 2020.

1. dw85745 Win User

Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or Howto Convert

HLP files got deprecated in Win7 but workarounds worked.
    Win10 v1909 appears to eliminate the ability to execute (use) HLP files.
    I have a number of older programs that have or use HLP files including some of M$ old programs.
    One program in particular -- a book I use frequently for reference -- was created using HLP and it will now NOT run.

QUESTIONS
    1) Anyone have a recent solution to this issue applicable to v1909 and hopefully later?
    I have tried a number of workarounds for prior version but none appear to work.

2) If HLP is in fact dead, anyone found a program (hopefully free) which will convert HLP files into some other
    format such as CHM or PDF?

:)

dw85745, Dec 2, 2020

2. Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format

Hi Chris

I'm Wilfredo S an Independent Advisor

According to what you describe and the known information The full format name of the files that use the HLP extension is Windows Help Format.

Microsoft defined the Windows Help Format standard. HLP files are compatible with the software applications available for devices running Linux, Mac OS, Windows.

The HLP file belongs to the category System Files as well as 298 other file name extensions listed in our database.

The most popular program for handling HLP files is Adobe RoboHelp, but users can choose from 8 different programs that support this file format. The software called Adobe RoboHelp was created by Adobe Systems Incorporated.

Unfortunately, the HLP files generated for older versions of Windows are not always displayed correctly in the Windows help viewer of the most recent installations.

In the following link you have some suggestions on how to convert the file

https://windowsreport.com/open-hlp-files-window...

and

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/16982...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

I hope it helps you

Wilfredo_Soto, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

Microsoft deprecated the old .hlp format over 10 years ago because of security risks.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-of-hlp-files/

I've converted some of my more useful .hlp files to .chm.

The replacement format for help files is the compiled HTMLHelp format (CHM). The look and use of a .chm help file is almost identical to that of the older .hlp files. In fact, the project files (table of contents, images, text etc.) used to compile a .hlp file can easily be converted to a .chm project. From there it's an easy step to recompile the project in .chm format. Microsoft of course don't release the project files for their Help files, but these can be recreated by decompiling the .hlp file. A step-by-step guide including links to the (free) software required is here:

http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info...converting.htm

Bree, Dec 2, 2020
  4. JohnH23 Win User

.hlp file support

Sayan, et. al,

Are there help-file converters that will convert HLP files to CHM files that can be recommended.

--JohnH

JohnH23, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or Howto Convert - Similar Threads - Win10 v1909 Run

2. Howto convert user profiles to FSLogix by frx.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Howto convert user profiles to FSLogix by frx.exe: Hi,i'm running several Windows 10 computer labs in a university. Since my users may use any of the computers in the courses, i'm currently testing FSLogix profile containers to replace roaming profiles. Initial tests with some test users and computers in a test OU where ok,...
  3. Howto convert user profiles to FSLogix by frx.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Howto convert user profiles to FSLogix by frx.exe: Hi,i'm running several Windows 10 computer labs in a university. Since my users may use any of the computers in the courses, i'm currently testing FSLogix profile containers to replace roaming profiles. Initial tests with some test users and computers in a test OU where ok,...
  4. Howto convert user profiles to FSLogix by frx.exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or How to Convert

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or How to Convert: HLP files got deprecated in Win7 but workarounds worked. Win10 v1909 appears to eliminate the ability to execute (use) HLP files. I have a number of older programs that have or use HLP files including some of M$ old programs. One program in particular -- a book I use...
  6. Unable to start Win10 - Howto fix boot record?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to start Win10 - Howto fix boot record?: My boot record got corrupted, I am unable to start Win10. I did all of the auto recovery options none had work. I am at the CMD and tried bootrec /fixboot but get access denied. I reformatted boot partition to FAT32, copied boot files using bcdboot from \windows directory...
  7. HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10: I had a workaround to use the old HLP files but M$ appears to have broken the ability to use a HLP again. Sadly, the workaround (using XP HLP files) no longer appears to work. ---------------- Questions ------------------ 1) Anyone have a workaround that works (recently...
  8. HowTo Expand Win10 EFI-Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HowTo Expand Win10 EFI-Partition: I've tried to resize the MS EFI-partition (100Mb to 500Mb) on DiskA. I've tried gparted on my Linux System on DiskB. A warning told me that something went wrong. On Windows it already shows the 500Mb size. But when i want to copy some files from my Linux System into the...
  9. Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format: I have an older program that has the .hlp file format. I'm stuck and can't use it as I use Windows 10. Alot of the 'free' converters do nothing. Any help in the forum?...
  10. Access .HLP files on legacy programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access .HLP files on legacy programs: How can I access help files (*.hlp) for old programs - pre Windows 10? I think a method was published earlier but I cannot locate it now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-hlp-files-on-legacy-programs/28b3b9f8-f734-4afd-bc5d-3b0a008e20c2