Windows 10: win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

Discus and support win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bambuko, Nov 30, 2019.

1. bambuko Win User

win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS:
    MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure
    One tray is dedicated to one OS (either Win7 or Linux), the other is for Win10.
    I run whatever OS I want while the other OS and it's SSD is disconnected.
    All data files are on NAS.
    I have used this setup for a while for Win7 and Linux with no problems at all.
    Now I am trying to use it for Win10 as well.
    Initially everything was OK, but couple of times I have had problems with Win10 where it wouldn't boot.
    Problem was solved with changing boot sequence in BIOS, but... it has me worried (I know little about Win10).
    Why should it be? Is there something different about Win10 that is causing it?
    Win10 version 1909 (build 18363.418)

:)

bambuko, Nov 30, 2019
  2. jbb_user Win User

Win7 / Win10 dual boot only boots to Win10

I have a home build machine with a dual partition for booting either Win7 or Win10 selectable.

The order was Win7 followed by Win10 in the menu.

The machine would always display a screen where I could select either Win7 or Win 10. If I didn't select in time the default was the first in the menu which was Win7

Starting this evening the machine no longer displays the selection menu but instead boots immediately and directly to Win10.

What's wrong?

How can I fix this so it works the original way?

jbb_user, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Coxwain Win User
    WIN10 /WIN7 Dual boot, WIN7 forced to upgrade to win10, now I can only boot to Primary WIN10 drive

I have a WIN10 install on a 256 SSD (DRIVE 2)

and had a win7 install on a 1tb WD Black HD (DRIVE 5)

My primary boot was WIN10 (D2) and always had the option of picking wich drive to boot to on start up.

I was recently forced to upgrade my WIN7 (D5) to WIN 10. It completed the update and I was using the opperating system on my 1 tb HD and it was working fine. Then I shut off the computer and came back about 4 days later and I couldnt boot to my second
    win10 install. (there may have been an update to the win10 before I shut it down)

I went into boot up options and selected the 2nd win10(win7) Drive 5 as primary boot and it reverted back to the original win 10(drive 2) boot.

What is the best way to have a dual boot win10 system and how can I change my boot up options so that I can continue to choose the boot up drive?

WIthout a doubt the upgrade Win7 drive is still there and can be used, but there must be a boot settings that is preventing it from being accessed.

If i am not allowed to have a dual boot WIN10/Win10 machine, can I revert back to WIN7 on the upgraded drive?

Also, original WIN10 install was from a win8 upgrade, 2nd one is from a win7 upgrade, both fully registered versions of WINdows.

Much apprecaited

Coxwain, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Jonas_DK Win User

Is there any way to install Win7 after Win10 for dual boot?

Original Title: Dual boot Win7 second too Win10

Hi,

Is there any way to install Win7 after Win10 for dual boot?

I don't want to reinstall in order to do it. If i have to reinstall, my laptop will not see Win10 again.

Regards Jonas

Jonas_DK, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

1. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option) - Similar Threads - win10 win7 dual

2. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  3. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  4. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  5. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010