Windows 10: Win10 won't boot, no sys restore points, tried SFC /scannow...ideas?

Discus and support Win10 won't boot, no sys restore points, tried SFC /scannow...ideas? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I've got an HP desktop with Windows 10 that I am repairing for somebody. Last night all was fine, but after a WinUpdate overnight, they woke... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Darkstrike, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Win10 won't boot, no sys restore points, tried SFC /scannow...ideas?

Hi all,

I've got an HP desktop with Windows 10 that I am repairing for somebody. Last night all was fine, but after a WinUpdate overnight, they woke up, booted into the desktop to find all "very, very slow" and then the machine froze. They turned it off by holding the power button but on reboot, machine is now stuck in an endless "Automatic Repair" loop. I've gone into the Advanced Troubleshooting menu and tried sfc /scannow, tried the fixmbr and fixboot commands, and also Startup Repair.

Startup Repair takes FOREVER, then fails. FixMBR and Fixboot complete successfully. SFC /scannow completed and said there were some files that could not be fixed (this was just using Win10's own Recovery options, no external media). Annoyingly, there were are no SysRestore points as that was turned off for some reason, so I imagine I am down to having to Reset the machine...

Anything else I can try before I have to go ahead and do so...? Also, I know you can reset without removing user files but this uninstalls and installed programs (I assume things like Firefox, Windows Live Mail, etc)....HOWEVER......as it "doesn't remove user files" does this mean it also doesn't delete items from hidden folders like AppData? For example, if Windows Live Mail is removed, does that mean this user would lose her e-mail settings/emails unless I back that folder up first...?

Thanks for any suggestions! *Smile

:)

Darkstrike, Mar 11, 2016

2. win10 restore point failure

My win10 system won't boot after a restore point failure. What steps other than booting into safe mode? If I do a reset, will win10 be restored and my apps and data be ok?

lendapilot, Mar 11, 2016
  3. EmacMY Win User
    Can't Boot Up Win10 on a SSD drive

My win10 sys with a SSD drive won't completely boot up. Get error message that disk is locked. Win10 system repair disk doesn't work because it states can't format or partition drive.

EmacMY, Mar 11, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Win10 won't boot, no sys restore points, tried SFC /scannow...ideas?

..................as it "doesn't remove user files" does this mean it also doesn't delete items from hidden folders like AppData?...........

Answer is : yes, it does not.

..... if Windows Live Mail is removed, does that mean this user would lose her e-mail settings/emails unless I back that folder up first ?

Answer is : yes again. Backup (export) her mails, contacts etc first.

davidhk, Mar 11, 2016
  5. Any ideas for other things I can try before I have to do a reset?

Darkstrike, Mar 11, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You said ....... Last night all was fine........................

And your post did not mention doing system restore.
    Will your computer allow you to do this ?..................................

Reboot but do NOT sign in > bottom right is a Power icon, left click at it will show Restart option.
    Press SHIFT key and hold > click Restart > if asked, click Restart anyway > wait > click Troubleshoot >click Advanced options > System Restore is on the list.

If you can, then do a system restore and pick a couple of days BEFORE " last night " as your restore point.

davidhk, Mar 11, 2016
  7. My post did mention System Restore twice:

Once in the title: "Win10 won't boot, no sys restore points, tried SFC /scannow...ideas?"

And once in the content: "Annoyingly, there were are no SysRestore points as that was turned off for some reason..."

So SysRestore is not something I can try, unfortunately.

I cannot boot to desktop, or even beyond the loading Win10 Loading screen just after POST - boot past POST immediately brings up "Preparing Automatic Repair." I can get to the Advanced Troubleshooting menu and trying to restart into Safe Mode from there ALSO brings "Preparing Automatic Repair."

Darkstrike, Mar 11, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

My apology.
    Somehow I had overlooked them.

Well, I have no more ideas.

davidhk, Mar 11, 2016
  9. Thanks for trying though, I'll have to back up everything tonight and try a Reset....

Will the user files be moved (pics, documents, etc), or do they stay in the folders they were in pre-Reset...?

Darkstrike, Mar 11, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    As far as I know, they stay where they were.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 won't boot, no sys restore points, tried SFC /scannow...ideas? - Similar Threads - Win10 won't boot

2. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow: Hey.I've exhuasted all recommendations regarding how to fix the sfc/ scannow command and make it work, namely did the trustedinstaller thing from cmd, i changed the windows modules installer to auto and then back to manual, but I keep receiving the same messages. When I type...
  3. Win10 restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 restore point.: Hi, I have a win10 pro updated 20H2.I realized that my system restore point only keep one copy no matter how big the space i allocated to it, even 20GB it still keep one, is there something that I can set to keep more copies?Thanks....
  4. WIN10 Restore Points

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIN10 Restore Points: For my own reasons* I have used third party software to stop Microsoft updates to my system. On my Current PC this will never change. Still somehow even though Microsoft is not upgrading perhaps when I run "SFC/ SCANOW" my system restore is turned off and restore points...
  5. SFC / scannow

in Windows 10 Customization
    SFC / scannow: I ran SFC / scannow and I'm not sure there was a message. What can I do? I check the application event log for events 1001 and “SFC” I check the DISM.log file I use findstr in CMD to find "[SR]" entries in CBS.log Or Run SFC / showlog...
  6. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sfc /scannow: Hi all, does anyone know anything about the logs in sfc /scannow? When I scan my Windows I get no integrity violations however in my logs I see a few things such as: 0000018b Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set...
  7. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  8. System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.: Hello, Recently my computer crashed because while it was installing the May W10 update because I inadvertently turned off my computer during the install. When I restarted the computer it would not restart and I started a support case with MS: Service Request #:...
  9. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f
  10. SFC /Scannow won't start

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /Scannow won't start: I tried to run SFC /Scannow but got the error message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". I saw on the web that this usually indicates that the Windows Module Installer and/or Trusted Installer is not running. The Windows Module Installer was...