Windows 10: Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU

Discus and support Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just got a spiffy new laptop the day after the new Wireless Connection app for Xbox One was released. I was stoked. I'm getting a powerful Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by bundito, Mar 19, 2019.

1. bundito Win User

Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU

I just got a spiffy new laptop the day after the new Wireless Connection app for Xbox One was released. I was stoked. I'm getting a powerful Win10 laptop with a NVIDIA GTX 1060 card - beats the heck out of the MX150 I had in my old machine.

Anyway, I was thrilled to connect to my TV and play. I have a little Logitech keyboard/trackpad unit that's great for kicking back while the computer is connected to the TV.

When playing on my laptop, I was getting superb frame rates. Playing Vaporum on the highest graphics settings, I was getting about 45 FPS. In Superhot: Mind Control Delete, I was getting crazy frame rates like 110 and up. All of this was at 1980x1080.

When I got the Xbox app installed and started to project to it, my frame rates hit the floor. Vaporum dropped to single digits. SHMCD fell to about 17 FPS. It was horrific.

I quit the app and tried to play directly on my laptop again - but now I was still getting the same lousy framerates, even though I was no longer connected to the Xbox.

I right-clicked on the desktop, to pull up the NVIDIA control panel and got the error message "You are not connected to a display controlled by a NVIDIA GPU"

My NVIDIA GPU had been knocked out, and my games were struggling to run on the lousy Intel desktop chip.

I was monitoring the FPS and temps with NZXT CAM - nothing overheated, and I wasn't overclocking. It barely broke a sweat.

Once I rebooted, my GPU came back. I did all the various voodoo rituals of disabling/re-enabling the adapter, downgrading and upgrading the drivers, turning off various overlays (Steam, NVIDIA, etc.), but none of it made a difference.

I'm positive that projecting to the Xbox app is somehow disabling my GPU, making it essentially useless. In other words, it's badly bugged. I know it's barely out of beta, but there's a problem.

I can't be the only one with this problem... let's chime in and try to get a little info out of our pals at Microsoft. It's their console and their OS, and they're not playing nice with each other.

:)

bundito, Mar 19, 2019

2. Win10 vs NVIDIA

I got NVIDIA GPU in my pc and after loading win10 now it seems there not any including drivers, management app, etc... I have erased GPU which was the only GPU seen in PC Manager and now all I have is basic Intel GPU. Btw win 10 and Explorer does not recognise
    java too; it says use firefox or Explorer 11.

How can I find NVIDIA GPU on my pc and activate drivers etc of it?

Tolga Zafer, Mar 19, 2019
  3. ActiveSync kills Wireless LAN connection

I just installed ActiveSync to sync my pc (Gateway w/XP) to my new ATT Tilt. When I connect my Tilt, ActiveSync does it's thing, but it kills my wireless connection to my home network. Even after disconnecting my mobile device, I have to reboot my pc to
    get my wireless connection back. Manually forcing it to reconnect with the pc's connection manager fails. Any suggestions?

Dawn Moothart, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU

Win10 older Nvidia GPU screen flicker

TLDR: My older HP laptop (Nvidia gpu and Win10) flickers no matter what driver and with both the 630M and 650M gpu. I installed gpu-z (techpowerup) and the flicker stopped as long as gpu-z is running. Why?

My older HP laptop dv6t flickers badly and constantly until the screen freezes. I have a dedicated gpu and the flicker only happens when the Nvidia gpu is enabled. This problem has been well known since 2014 when the Win10 upgrade first rolled out - the solution for most was to rollback to Win8 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ckering-since-installing-windows/td-p/2133060 (the flicker problem does not seem to have affected the AMD gpu). See here for a typical example Windows 10 TP 9879 constantly flickering after update

Lots of good articles

The assumption back over the years 2014-17 has been that the flicker will be resolved through the Nvidia driver update https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/859279/windows-10-353-54-flickering-issues/ I tried numerous drivers from as far back as 2014 and up to the release earlier this month (fairly certain I installed the drivers correctly). There are some posts that say installing Win8 and then updating to Win10 and then rolling back the Nvidia drivers solves the flicker. I cannot find where I read this - but, I initially had upgraded to Win10 from Win8 (or 8.1) and never had a flicker problem. I bought a new SSD and did a fresh Win10 install and found the flicker.

After three years it looks like it is not a driver issue since it would have been fixed by now. Is it something incompatible between Win 10 and the older Nvidia gpu?

I had a 630M (2010 Fermi GF117) in my laptop and it flickered. I changed to a 650M (2012 Kepler GK107) motherboard and it flickers too. Does it affect the 2014 Maxwell (I searched and did not find much about Maxwell flicker but most people don't post their gpu architecture)? Presumably the 2016 Pascal is fine. It says here that Win10 supports Kepler and newer (maybe supports Fermi) https://forums.geforce.com/default/...windows-10-faq-and-driver-installation-tips-/ Which means the flicker problem should not be due to hardware. But, it must be somewhat hardware since the newer Pascal does not flicker.

I thought maybe the gpu was overheating due to some driver/os issue (it wasn't).

I also considered it could be an energy saving (rapid off/on created feedback) flicker issue; so I tried high performance settings. No luck.

To see what the temps are I installed gpu-z (techpowerup) and set the gpu-z to start on startup. The flicker stopped... At login it flickers like mad, but, as soon as the password is typed and enter pressed, it stops. It runs for days with zero flicker.

My intuition is that the gpu-z temp sampling keeps the gpu in a constant 'on' state and this stops the flicker (meaning it is win10 energy optimization related).

Please explain this like I am five.

forest.peterson, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU

1. Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU - Similar Threads - Win10 XB1 Wireless

2. Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working: Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working So got the 7 day trial of dolby atmos for win10 and works with no issues using a AMD GPU, but on the one PC that has a nvidia gtx it will not work unless I uninstall the nvidia audio drivers.Is this an nvida or Microsoft issue ?...
  3. Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working: Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working So got the 7 day trial of dolby atmos for win10 and works with no issues using a AMD GPU, but on the one PC that has a nvidia gtx it will not work unless I uninstall the nvidia audio drivers.Is this an nvida or Microsoft issue ?...
  4. Dolby atmos on win10 and nvidia gpu not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. nvidia gpu needs to be connected to the monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    nvidia gpu needs to be connected to the monitor: I have a question," Does it matter whether the graphics card is connected with the monitor?" Becausemy monitor is plugged into the motherboard and in my device manager it didn't show that there is another graphics card except the intel hd 4600 graphics. A few days ago I saw...
  6. nvidia gpu needs to be connected to the monitor

nvidia gpu needs to be connected to the monitor: I have a question," Does it matter whether the graphics card is connected with the monitor?" Becausemy monitor is plugged into the motherboard and in my device manager it didn't show that there is another graphics card except the intel hd 4600 graphics. A few days ago I saw...
  7. Graphical glitches with universal apps on Nvidia GPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphical glitches with universal apps on Nvidia GPU: Universal Windows apps have these weird graphical glitches that result in text flickering and/or becoming blurred. Whenever I have an update to the Nvidia graphics drivers the problem seems to temporarily go away but return after turning it off and on. I'm using an Nvidia RTX...
  8. Updates kill NVIDIA

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates kill NVIDIA: Every time Windows 10 updates, it kills my NVIDIA and I'm sick of it! This has been reported over and over but it happens every time. I have to do a reset and that's getting tiresome. Fix it!...
  9. Win10/XB1 streaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10/XB1 streaming: Hey there, I had a question and was curious to know if anyone knew anything about it. I tested the latest build 10159 with the streaming thing (as I'm in the XB1 preview program as well) and it actually works really well, although once you switch your display, that device...
  10. Windows apps use Nvidia GPU

Windows apps use Nvidia GPU: I have switchable integrated Intel HD video/Nvidia GeForce 840M. Recently I noticed that my Nvidia GPU is used even without any apps started. It turned that it is used by Windows apps like Phone Companion, Store, Mail etc. It is really disturbing, because my battery life is...