Windows 10: Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry

Discus and support Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I already had Windows automatic updates disabled as much as think the operating system allows -- I think. I'm on Win10 1909, build 18363.959. Time to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by akfocus, Jul 19, 2020.

1. akfocus Win User

Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry

I already had Windows automatic updates disabled as much as think the operating system allows -- I think. I'm on Win10 1909, build 18363.959.

Time to try again, and ask for help here.

Windows woke up my computer from hibernation last night, merely to update Edge (which I don't use at all) -- a non-essential, non-urgent update. When I turned the computer on this morning and the system rebooted, my several word documents reopened. But all the PDF tabs I had open from diverse places on my several logical drives, and all the tabs in my text editor of course did not reopen. It will take a lot of effort to get back to the work-state I was in last night.

What can I do in my Windows setting to prevent this B.S. from happening? Where can I write to MicroSoft to give them a piece of my mind?

Thanks for whatever help you can give (and sorry for venting a bit here - just really, really frustrated).

:)

akfocus, Jul 19, 2020
  2. akfocus Win User

I already had Windows automatic updates disabled as much as think the operating system allows -- I think. I'm on Win10 1909, build 18363.959.

Time to try again, and ask for help here.

Windows woke up my computer from hibernation last night, merely to update Edge (which I don't use at all) -- a non-essential, non-urgent update. When I turned the computer on this morning and the system rebooted, my several word documents reopened. But all the PDF tabs I had open from diverse places on my several logical drives, and all the tabs in my text editor of course did not reopen. It will take a lot of effort to get back to the work-state I was in last night.

What can I do in my Windows setting to prevent this B.S. from happening? Where can I write to MicroSoft to give them a piece of my mind?

Thanks for whatever help you can give (and sorry for venting a bit here - just really, really frustrated).

akfocus, Jul 19, 2020
  3. jamis Win User

You didn’t state what Windows license edition you have installed (Home or Pro). I’m sorry I cannot address Pro, but I have Home WU paused until 10/15/2020. I can unpause it anytime I want to install updates and reset the pause expiration date to any multiple of seven days I wish with the pause options on the WU page. Of course, I have system image saves after each successful update so I can easily roll the system back to prior update status.

jamis, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry

How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

No tasks can be run because I have disabled the hijackers.

Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry [​IMG]

I did not click on "Check for updates" yesterday, but it found an available update.

Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry [​IMG]

Matthew Wai, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry - Similar Threads - Win10's auto update

2. Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow: Why is Windows 11 continuing to go downhill?The system is slow, bloated, lacks functionality, has inconsistent UI behavior, and, for me, has terribly atrocious UX.Windows 10 was tolerable.Windows 11 makes me wish I could sell beer for a living....
  3. Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow: Why is Windows 11 continuing to go downhill?The system is slow, bloated, lacks functionality, has inconsistent UI behavior, and, for me, has terribly atrocious UX.Windows 10 was tolerable.Windows 11 makes me wish I could sell beer for a living....
  4. Is PHOTOS broken or am I just really really really stupid?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is PHOTOS broken or am I just really really really stupid?: Any plans to make it so we can actually see our images in PHOTOS? I have been seeing threads dating back to 2014 asking for the ability to view a jpg in all of it's glorious colours. This image is NOT transparent in anyway. There is 0 gradients that use transparency and it is...
  5. Is it just me, or is this a REALLY big deal? (Feature Update for 21H1)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it just me, or is this a REALLY big deal? (Feature Update for 21H1): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ronvass [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nmz1d8/is_it_just_me_or_is_this_a_really_big_deal/
  6. Windows 10 makes me REALLY angry!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 makes me REALLY angry!!: I feel such rage inside every time the most basic things don't work in Windows 10. I just can't understand how is that even possible!! I'm trying to uninstall TurboTax 2019 and it did uninstall, except it left some folders. One in: C:/Program Filesx86/Common Files/Intuit...
  7. Laptop keeps locking itself (Win10) (Updates Issue) (really really important)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop keeps locking itself (Win10) (Updates Issue) (really really important): My friend has the same Issue Ive had months ago: every 5 Minutes his Laptop keeps locking itself, all the power settings are on "never" Laptop is brand new, (mine is several years old), memory, graphics card and hard drive is fine, additional power plans dont change...
  8. Windows 10 really, really, really slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 really, really, really slow!: My son's computer is suddenly incredibly slow, like 4 or 5 mins from a mouse click to a response. I have tried all the "Windows is running slow" fixes, but since I can't open any settings apps, I am really stuck. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but it won't - I have...
  9. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?: I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent. The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a while I'm usually in a place where I'm hotspotting with my mobile phone. Needless to say I need to limit my data flow making...
  10. Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware: So from my last thread it seems that there isn't a main thread for this so here's one. If you've got some old hardware that will run Win10 and the will to do it, post about it here. Post screenshots to proove you've got it working. And no, Core 2 CPUs don't count as old,...