Windows 10: Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

Discus and support Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Quiver888, May 19, 2022.

1. Quiver888 Win User

Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected folders. I can move multiple files with no issues. I can delete multiple folders / files with no issues. My work around is to copy the files then going back in and deleting the orphan folders.I have a fresh install on an SSD of Windows 11. Prior to needing to reinstall I was on Win11. I'm very familiar with file management and didn't notice this issue prior to fresh install. I have ran SFC, and checked for updates. Before I did a reset of the OS I w

:)

Quiver888, May 19, 2022

2. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, May 19, 2022
  3. Multiple Duplicate Folders under This PC in File Explorer

OK. Followed instructions best I could.

1. I exited OneDrive by following Step 1 above. I right-clicked on I think Microsoft OneDrive and clicked on End Task. Good.

2. I started to do Step 2 but as I was looking in System Tray I saw OneDrive icon disappear. I suspect that is because of what I did in Step 1. As a result I believe Step 2 is not necessary because the computer did it itself. I opened up File Explorer and
    confirmed I still had multiple Document folder on the left pane under "This PC".

3. Now I need to copy the "Documents" folder. Which one? I have two?

C:\Users\Grant\Documents - this one is empty.

C:\Users\Grant\OneDrive\Documents - this is the one I believe you want me to back up. It contains everything that Microsoft OneDrive has stored on the cloud.

So I copied the contents of C:\Users\Grant\OneDrive\Documents to C:\Users\Grant\Temp Documents. I closed and then reopened File Explorer and I no longer have multiple Document folders under "This PC". Remember the problem I originally had was multiple Document
    folders under "This PC" intermittently. As a result I can't delete the multiple Document folders because they currently don't exist. I guess I will maintain current configuration for a while to see if they show up. Meanwhile I have a duplicate of my OneDrive
    files and OneDrive is turned off.

Attached is an image of File Explorer showing the problem of multiple Document folders under This PC.
    Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders fe1d8021-2aa8-4048-a3ed-f8fa5cbf6db7.png

Grant Klokeid, May 19, 2022
  4. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

Windows Explorer crash When Moving or opening Files

I have been fighting the same problem for months with Windows 10. Explorer crashes when opening or moving files, multiple File Explorer windows open for certain folders, etc.. Even after doing a clean install the problem reappeared. Event Viewer shows the
    faulting module as either ntdll.dll or windows.storage.dll.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tim

Tim Hendriksen, May 19, 2022
Thema:

Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

1. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders - Similar Threads - Win11 File Explorer

2. Move multiple folders that contains specific files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move multiple folders that contains specific files: [ATTACH] Hello everyone. I need help. I am driving crazy with something that may be simple. I have a folder with 5000 movies. See the screenshot: https://preview.redd.it/qtseh9wul0ga1.png?width=1437&format=png&auto=webp&s=bde881bb11363c8d33c320639653b9fc21cd373b I want...
  3. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  4. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  5. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders: When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected folders. I can move multiple files with no issues. I can delete multiple folders / files with no issues. My work around is to...
  7. Need to move files from multiple folders to multiple same level folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to move files from multiple folders to multiple same level folder: We have a file structure like thisTop level Folder--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archive--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archive--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archiverepeat 500 times. I want to move all files older than 1 year from the inbox and...
  8. Need to move files from multiple folders to multiple same level folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to move files from multiple folders to multiple same level folder: We have a file structure like thisTop level Folder--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archive--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archive--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archiverepeat 500 times. I want to move all files older than 1 year from the inbox and...
  9. move multiple folders based on file extension

move multiple folders based on file extension: Hi, I have a main folder with 2000+ subfolders. 500+ of them have ISO files. I want to move all the folders that contain ISO files to a new separate folder. How do I do it? Obviously, I can find all the ISO files when searching via win explorer, but I don't want to move...
  10. Moving photo folders in File Explorer

Moving photo folders in File Explorer: In File Explorer I’d like to move folders from Photos to Photo gallery and vice verse. How can I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-photo-folders-in-file-explorer/aabe0ce8-27f0-46a8-9a2b-efdd3c837713"