Windows 10: win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

Discus and support win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by yuhang.tao.email, Jan 28, 2023.

1. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click Stop using the drive to remove it, but in win 11, I couldn't find the option like win10 as below.

:)

yuhang.tao.email, Jan 28, 2023

2. FileHistory stops working

Hello

In have FileHistory backup not working correctly.

After my desktop backup for the portioned drives C: and D: stopped say 6 weeks ago. I have tried a number of suggestions from the form but have not got things working until yesterday 27/6/2020.

After using the same USB extension drive to back up my laptop which worked.

I tried the same usb derive with the desktop and found that by selecting the drive as new a new list of folders to be backedup was created only for drive C: and the FileHistory back up worked again.

Now IF I add any folder on derive D: to the backup list FileHistory stops working.

If I remove the D: related folder FileHistory works again.

When FileHistory stops working event viewer shows the 1st error message .

In the past when FileHistory didn't work EV showed both errors.

Unable to scan user librariles for changes and perform backup.

C:\Users\pflet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

File/directory was not backed up due to being encrypted or insefficent permissions.

D:\System Volume Information.

As enyone seen this?

Could this be the System volume information folder on D: ?

Can this folder be replaced / repaired ? I carn't see it being encrypted. Dont Know about permissions.

Thanks in advance. Paul

PaulFletcherSG, Jan 28, 2023
  3. FileHistory backup

Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"?

LarryFontenot, Jan 28, 2023
  4. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

FIleHistory: some folders are not backup up anymore

Preamble: I have been used FileHistory to backup my folders and files on a network drive since long.

All backup up folders where included in the Library, therefore I nave used the Backup Contro Panel to include other folders in the backup list.

Up to yesterday everything was working fine.

Yesterday I used the Backup Control Panel to see what was happening if I was adding folder "C:\User\Paolo" to the list of included folders.

Shame on me ..

Since then FileHistory stopped backing up all folders, with one exception: the special folder "Download" which is the only one in my Library to be located in drive D:\ (that is, outside C:\User\Paolo)

Removing the folder C:\User\Paolo from the included didn't work.

Restoring Windows to a previous restore point did not solve the issue.

Starting a new backup on a different network drive did not work.

The final solution was to both

• remove all files located in C:\Users\Paolo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • start a new backup in a new folder/network drive

I hope that sharing this will help others with the same issue.

Paolo

Paolo Cremonesi, Jan 28, 2023
Thema:

win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

1. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared - Similar Threads - win11 Stop using

2. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared: I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click Stop using the drive to remove it, but in win 11, I couldn't find the option like win10 as below....
  3. Options For Backup Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Options For Backup Hard Drive?: Hello Purchased last year when i could afford it a Western Digital 4TB Black Hard drive, at the time idea was to use it internally, but lately having second thoughts, as since then purchased M.2 SSD, and also Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD that i made into Game Drive, resulting in...
  4. Options For Backup Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Options For Backup Hard Drive?: Hello Purchased last year when i could afford it a Western Digital 4TB Black Hard drive, at the time idea was to use it internally, but lately having second thoughts, as since then purchased M.2 SSD, and also Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD that i made into Game Drive, resulting in...
  5. WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS: Hi. Q. I have an external hard drive which I have been using to copy files from a laptop using FileHistory. I now have a second laptop and I would like to copy files from it to the same drive I've been using for my other laptop, also using FileHistory. I want to make sure...
  6. FileHistory stops working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FileHistory stops working: Hello In have FileHistory backup not working correctly. After my desktop backup for the portioned drives C: and D: stopped say 6 weeks ago. I have tried a number of suggestions from the form but have not got things working until yesterday 27/6/2020. After using the same...
  7. FileHistory backup

FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  8. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups: I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files I had 'file history' turned on. The backups are being written to an external drive....
  9. My Toshiba Harddrive won't backup using filehistory?

My Toshiba Harddrive won't backup using filehistory?: Hello I've tried using my Toshiba portable hard drive to backup my computer using FileHistory, the last time it could do it was on the 9.10.19, when I try to backup it up recently, it comes up with this picture. I try to back it up again ,but it comes up with the same...
  10. Filehistory retrieve backup

Filehistory retrieve backup: Hi all, I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the backup shows on my SSD. All files are backed up and given a name extension with the date the files were backed up. So far so...