Windows 10: Win32 & UWP apps missing on start menu, taskbar and search on roaming profiles

Discus and support Win32 & UWP apps missing on start menu, taskbar and search on roaming profiles in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, This problem has baffled me and I am utterly confused to the cause of the problem. We currently run a full Windows 10 1909 environment with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Luke Meunier, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Win32 & UWP apps missing on start menu, taskbar and search on roaming profiles

Hi all,

This problem has baffled me and I am utterly confused to the cause of the problem.

We currently run a full Windows 10 1909 environment with just short of 300 users and 140 endpoints. Recently, we have decided to migrate all our users to roaming profiles with full folder redirection. All endpoints are using the latest cumulative update.

Upon roaming, some users are experiencing odd behaviour with mainly the start menu and search, but this can affect the taskbar as well.

The behaviour is inconsistent and can be any one of the following:

• Start menu, taskbar and search will only display UWP apps most common
    • Start menu and search will only display Win32 apps
    • Start menu, search and taskbar work perfectly fine.

On creation of a new profile, the start menu, taskbar and search will behave correct, with everything displayed correctly, and all apps being provisioned correctly.

On endpoints where the user profile is cached, if the start menu loads correctly on first logon, it will stay like that on that particular machine. If the user logs-on to another machine, it will then break.

Upon logoff, and every following logon, we begin to experience the above problems. This can be resolved by deleting the .v6 profile on the server, and logging back in.

We have enabled "Delete cached copy of Roaming Profiles" on some endpoints where hot-desking is more common, along with "Allow deployment operations on Special Profiles" foreveryone in group policy. We do have a assortment of other GPOs, but my testing shows that these are not interfering with the problem.

Doing some research online, I have tried editing the ExcludeProfileDirs registry key that is present in HKLU SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon to the following below, but I had to reverse this as it caused extremley slow logon and logoff timing out, along with roaming profiles not being synchronised.

AppData\\Local\\Application Data;AppData\\Local\\ConnectedDevicesPlatform;AppData\\Local\\History;AppData\\Local\\Microsoft;AppData\\Local\\Microsoft Help;AppData\\Local\\Temp;AppData\\Local\\Publishers;;AppData\\Local\\Packages;AppData\\Local\\Comms;AppData\\Local\\HP;AppData\\Local\\Temporary Internet Files;AppData\\Local\\VirtualStore;AppData\\Local\\Winternals;AppData\\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin;OneDrive;Work Folders

Does anyone have any clue to this problem? I would appreciate all the help possible.

Many thanks,

Luke

:)

Luke Meunier, Mar 13, 2020
  2. Elie Akl Win User

Start menu issue with roaming profile and search button .

Hi,

I've recently made a huge research about Roaming profiles in windows 10 and how to set up the start menu layout and all of that i've tried to test it before i upgrade all the computers in the campus i made some good and bad results, the good results was i was able to export the start layout and implement it in the GPO works really fine and i was able to create the v5 roaming profile with same shortcuts and bookmarks and default settings and home page and disabling cortana by GPO and disabling the online search feature within the settings of the roaming profile,
    now for the bad results were that the sign in could take from 25 till 40 seconds so the log off, and the major issue is that when you logon with the roaming profile the start menu and search are not available, it means that when you click on start menu the whole start menu doesnt pop up just nothing happens same as the search function i've had a thread on technet seems they could help only with the layout export but no reply on the start menu i wonder if anyone could give me a good suggestion , work arround , or a solid solution, i am running windows 10 enterprise .
    PS: i forgot to mention that even the EDGE icon from taskbar disappears so i think its not either moving files or folders arent being synchronized im not really sure. IE remains

Following links to my previous posts on technet :
    Post 1
    Post 2 ( Thread got deleted )

Regards,
    Elie.

Elie Akl, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search

On the Microsoft forum, a MS person has stated that this is known to happen if you have more than 512 apps installed. This is the case for me (I have 700+ according to the PowerShell command mentioned). They are working on a fix.

Some Win32 apps missing from Start menu list - Microsoft Community

Aaron44126, Mar 13, 2020
  4. ebskebsk Win User

Win32 & UWP apps missing on start menu, taskbar and search on roaming profiles

Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search

Maybe it's different problem, however I have fixed the issue myself, the apps that were missing were in c:\windows.old... path under Menu Start of <All Users> and not particular user and seems that during update from win7 to win10 only the Menu Start apps from <User> were copied to Apps, but not <All Users> hence these were not there, easy fix (if you didn't remove windows.old after upgrade)

ebskebsk, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Win32 & UWP apps missing on start menu, taskbar and search on roaming profiles

1. Win32 & UWP apps missing on start menu, taskbar and search on roaming profiles - Similar Threads - Win32 UWP apps

2. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps missing from search and start menu: All my apps, excel, word, outlook, vpn, are missing from start menu and search.Some apps however, are still around, etc: discord / line / netflix.I've tried every solution I googled but none of them works.I did:1....
  3. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps missing from search and start menu: All my apps, excel, word, outlook, vpn, are missing from start menu and search.Some apps however, are still around, etc: discord / line / netflix.I've tried every solution I googled but none of them works.I did:1....
  4. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. missing start menu / taskbar

missing start menu / taskbar: Hi. I purchased a cheap fanless PCHYerobox from Amazon that came preloaded with Windows 10. I installed software and configured the taskbar the way I liked it and was happy with the performance. One day the taskbar / start menu disappeared and I don't know how to get it back....
  6. Apps missing icons in the Start Menu search results

Apps missing icons in the Start Menu search results: The icons for my applications have not been showing up in the start menu search ever since I reset my computer but kept the important files. How do I fix this? I've tried the bare minimum of restarting my computer as well as a few other things, but nothing seems to work. Any...
  7. App icons missing in start menu search results

in Cortana
    App icons missing in start menu search results: Hi there, I hope you're having a great weekend :-) I am having a problem with the app icons in the search results of my windows start menu. The icons won't show up. Instead, it displays the same placeholder for all apps. Let the attached GIF animation speak for itself....
  8. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems: I did the sfc scannow, the powershell app thing, I think I did the DSIM thing too. What can I do? 28297
  9. Start menu issue with roaming profile and search button .

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu issue with roaming profile and search button .: Hi, I've recently made a huge research about Roaming profiles in windows 10 and how to set up the start menu layout and all of that i've tried to test it before i upgrade all the computers in the campus i made some good and bad results, the good results was i was able to...
  10. Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search: Hi, I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to do about it. Some desktop apps are missing from the "All apps" section of the Start menu. Most programs are there, but I'd say 10-15% are missing. Apps that are missing also do not show up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 roaming profile taskbar disappear