Windows 10: Win7 games and compatibility

Discus and support Win7 games and compatibility in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I saved a chess game and a few other goodies from my 10 1/2 year old computer that just died. I transferred the files to my new Win10 machine using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JetGardner, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Win7 games and compatibility

I saved a chess game and a few other goodies from my 10 1/2 year old computer that just died. I transferred the files to my new Win10 machine using a thumb drive but clicking the .exe file won't play them or bring them up. I tried assigning them to the Win7 compatibility mode but that didn't work either, neither did trying older compatibility versions. I played Win7s chess on that thing every night before bed as part of my routine. Any suggestions?

:)

JetGardner, Oct 17, 2021

2. Windows 10 Game Compatibility

Hello Debie,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

There are some programs that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the programs compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode. If you can access the executable (.exe)
    file for the game, I would suggest you to follow the below provided steps:

Step 1: Download and save the game on the desktop.

Step 2: Install the game in compatibility mode.

• Right click on the .exe file, and click on Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • Select Windows 8 (or any other compatible OS) in the list of Operating systems.
    • Click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to install the game and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Reboot your computer.
    Additional information:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Oct 17, 2021
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    unable to play backwars compatible game on windows 10

Hi CloakingRope170,

Some apps created earlier than Windows 10 might not run optimally or will not run at all due to possible compatibility issues. As a first troubleshooting step, i suggest running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and see if it helps. Here are the steps:

1. Enter the name of the game on the Windows search box.
    2. Right click on the result and select Open file location.
    3. Right click on the game and select Properties.
    4. Under the Compatibility tab, click Run compatibility troubleshooter.
    5. Follow the troubleshooter wizard and complete the process.

If you continue to experience the issue after the compatibility troubleshooter, try the suggested
    compatibility settings based on this link. Just adjust one or more of the following
    settings and select OK when you’re done.

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

Mark Isi, Oct 17, 2021
  4. Win7 games and compatibility

installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, Oct 17, 2021
Thema:

Win7 games and compatibility

1. Win7 games and compatibility - Similar Threads - Win7 games compatibility

2. Win7 games and compatibility

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 games and compatibility: I saved a chess game and a few other goodies from my 10 1/2 year old computer that just died. I transferred the files to my new Win10 machine using a thumb drive but clicking the .exe file won't play them or bring them up. I tried assigning them to the Win7 compatibility mode...
  3. Win7 games and compatibility

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win7 games and compatibility: I saved a chess game and a few other goodies from my 10 1/2 year old computer that just died. I transferred the files to my new Win10 machine using a thumb drive but clicking the .exe file won't play them or bring them up. I tried assigning them to the Win7 compatibility mode...
  4. Old game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game compatibility: My dad has a lot of old game from the early 2000s. Rome: Total war and its Barbarian Invasion and a couple of other games he loved to play don’t work on his computer any more. He’s running latest version of Windows 10 and is even part of the Beta testing group. He loved to...
  5. game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game compatibility: Greetings, I would like to know whether the games "Sid Meier's Civilization IV" and "From Rick Goodman Empires L'Alba Del Mondo Moderno" are compatibe with Windows 10. Have a good day, Remo68...
  6. Game Compatibility

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Game Compatibility: Whenever i try to download a game from the microsoft store on my HP 255 G5 Notebook, ie. Asphalt 8, it says my device is not compatible. But it says that on just about every game. Am i missing an update or is my laptop just unable to handle a couple games?...
  7. game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game compatibility: Trying to get the game Mah jongg magic windows 95 or 98 on a cd to play on windows 10. Any help would be appreciated as this is one of my favorites. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-compatibility/71832ecc-2b0b-4bde-80e3-23cb1a4f2581
  8. Game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game compatibility: I'm having an issue with launching an old windows xp game on my windows 10. The game in question is Cossacks European Wars, I've tried the troubleshooter already to no avail. It is also already running as administrator. I'm using a MSI GE70 2PE laptop. I appreciate any...
  9. Win7 games on Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 games on Win10: A while ago I installed Win7 games on Win10 using msgames_win8_x64.msi as mentioned in thread Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I wondered if this was legal but did it anyway. Installing the TH2 update removed the games. I installed them again, but...
  10. Win7 to Win10 Software Compatibility?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 Software Compatibility?: I have two PCs: a new Win8.1 desktop and an older Win7-64 desktop. I've have already experienced that several programs that have run great on my Win7 PC will not even install on the new Win8.1 PC. So, if/when I decide to upgrade my Win7 PC with the free upgrade to Win10,...