Windows 10: Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old

Discus and support Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've ran the upgrade to win 10 twice now and its set to "Keep personal files and apps" even defaults to it like it should. But all the programs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mcberry336, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old

I've ran the upgrade to win 10 twice now and its set to "Keep personal files and apps" even defaults to it like it should. But all the programs and such end up in Windows.old folder like I said "keep none" (I assume that is what happens).

Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old [​IMG]

I previously reverted back to Windows 7 and had no issue, this is running the upgrade from a usb or iso, same result.

:)

mcberry336, Aug 15, 2015

2. Win7-->Win10 not yet ready

I have two identical PCs at home. One is Win7 Prof 64bit and the other was Win8-->Win8.1 (I forget which version, probably Prof 64bit).

The Win8.1 machine was upgraded to Win 10 Professional 64bit ages ago, but the Win7 machine is still reporting Win10 is not yet ready for this device. How is that even possible? The two PCs are identical hardware setups, drivers etc. The Win7 version is
    genuine, activated and SP1.

Do I need to communicate direct with Microsoft? The clock is running out for the upgrade...

BulldustHHH, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Error System thead exception not handled (athwbx.sys) unable to upgrade to Win 10

Win7 sp1 upgraded to win 10 home after installation error appear

The error is

System thead exception not handled (athwbx.sys)

And the windows restart continously refuse repair or reset

I'm returned to win 7 again after to days of searching

I want to upgrade but i want the solution before

MohammedSaeed89, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old

I see the same but most of the applications listed in mine are for Microsoft or Windows, none of my third-party programs were moved. None of my Documents moved and Pictures and Music are not even listed.

Berton, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Didn't happen to me. Everything was carried over. You'll still get a Windows.old file, no matter what you do. It's used for the roll back feature. It will be deleted after 30 days. Once that happens you can't roll back.

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
  6. The third upgrade I ran (while away) left it with a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO blue screen. No repair attempts can fix it, I am now running a reset. I could easily just do a reinstall, nothing major to be lost just time. Thats why I have no backup, should have I guess made an disk image, but meh.

One thing I did notice running Belarc Advisor after Win 10 was installed the 2nd time was it showed as Windows 8 with a new product key, I guess it generates or retrieves on during upgrade.

As of writing the reset stated "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. However as I said both times I ran the upgrade NONEof my apps, doc, pics etc were copied over to the win 10 install.

mcberry336, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old

1. Win7 SP1 Home Upgrade to Win 10 moves apps/etc to Windows.old - Similar Threads - Win7 SP1 Home

2. Upgrade Computer with Win7 Home Premium SP1 from purchase. No money. Options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Computer with Win7 Home Premium SP1 from purchase. No money. Options?: Hi,Computer with Win7 Home Premium SP1 installed from new purchase we made.No money, illness in family.Options?There are many security related programs that will not install.Or install with less security.There are IE problems.The list goes on. Is there any AU Microsoft...
  3. Upgrade Computer with Win7 Home Premium SP1 from purchase. No money. Options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Computer with Win7 Home Premium SP1 from purchase. No money. Options?: Hi,Computer with Win7 Home Premium SP1 installed from new purchase we made.No money, illness in family.Options?There are many security related programs that will not install.Or install with less security.There are IE problems.The list goes on. Is there any AU Microsoft...
  4. Upgrade from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Home: 1.I have Win 7 Pro 64bit installed on this computer. I have a genuine product code.2.I wish to upgrade to Win 10 , preferrably without having to reload programs, email provider or Firefox. Is this still a free service? How do I do this?3.I wish to connect the upgraded...
  5. Upgrade from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Home: 1.I have Win 7 Pro 64bit installed on this computer. I have a genuine product code.2.I wish to upgrade to Win 10 , preferrably without having to reload programs, email provider or Firefox. Is this still a free service? How do I do this?3.I wish to connect the upgraded...
  6. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  7. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  8. Cannot upgrade to WIN 10 from WIN7 sp1

Cannot upgrade to WIN 10 from WIN7 sp1: Hi All, I have tried to upgrade from 7 to 10 at least 6 times and in every instance I get "The Installation failed in SAFE_OS Phase with an error during Replicate_OC operation 0x8007001f - 0x20006" then it reverts to back to 7. (To be clear, the install goes to the very end...
  9. reinstall win 10 in an old laptop from Win7 home premium

reinstall win 10 in an old laptop from Win7 home premium: I have an old laptop, initially bought with win 7 home premium. I updated to Win 10 and run for a long time. I had a somehow a malfunction on the SSD that made the win10 to crash. I didn't have a restore point or a backup made. Please help reinstall the windows. Thank...
  10. Can't upgrade to Win 10 cause I can't update Win7 to SP1

Can't upgrade to Win 10 cause I can't update Win7 to SP1: Can't upgrade to Win 10 cause I can't update Win7 to SP1. that about says it. Tried WIndows update many times, tried to upgrade the computer using Win 7 disk to Win 7 with latest files... Give me recommendations to get this machine to Windows 10. thanks 53623