Windows 10: Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10?

Discus and support Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm an IT Pro and been using Windows 10 for a while now but I just had to join this forum to ask at least this perhaps dumb question: In Windows 7 I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by littleroot, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10?

I'm an IT Pro and been using Windows 10 for a while now but I just had to join this forum to ask at least this perhaps dumb question:

In Windows 7 I used to be able to type into the start menu search field the word "close" and the first result was something like "change what happens when I close the lid of my computer."

This is just one example of keywords I used to use to find things in the old Windows 7 control panel.

Do i have to teach myself all new keywords?

Later I discovered this keyword will work when I search only in Control Panel, but that is not as easy as it used to be. Oh and I did turn off Cortana and web search.

Thanks for any advice.

:)

littleroot, Oct 4, 2015

2. Start menu search (Cortana) no longer includes files from Windows Server shares

Hi Fredrick,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It would be more appropriate to redirect your query to the IT Professionals on TechNet Forums who are well equipped with
    the knowledge.

You can click on the link below to post your query in TechNet forum.

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 4, 2015
  3. Fredrik70 Win User
    Start menu search (Cortana) no longer includes files from Windows Server shares

In Windows 7, by default the Start menu search would include files from indexed Windows Server network locations, after the location had been added to a Library.

In Windows 10, the Library functionality is disabled by default, but can easily be enabled. However, even if you include a Windows Server network document location in your Library, and set is as the default save location, the files are still will not be
    included in the Start menu search scope.

Since Windows 10 is supposed to be especially oriented toward business users, and since presumably most businesses store their documents on central locations like WIndows servers, I am quite baffled by this.

Could anyone explained why this functionality has been removed from Windows 10? Where can I make a suggestion that it is included again?

Fredrik70, Oct 4, 2015
  4. BUck13 Win User

Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10?

Well, I have been tinkering with windows since 95 when I was a kid, so I hope my advice helps. Microsoft will on new OS platforms change keywords and also change file structure to a seemingly more fluent manner. However, when it comes to the 'run' search box in the old start menu, it is not present in the new start menu. I recently found out though that one can simply press the 'windows key+R' to bring up the run dialogue box, though not sure if it was the same combo of buttons in previous versions or not. Anyway, when you bring up the run box with the two buttons previously mentioned, searching there should utilize the same keywords and therefore should give the same or similar results. As always, if you find a way around that does not take too many steps it might just be easier to do that than try to learn something new, but I have never used the 'run' feature of start menu very much so I am not familiar with the keyword search method of the OS or the results. Thanks for reading and as stated I hope this helps.

BUck13, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10?

1. Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Win7 start menu

2. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: Hello, good day to everyone...My windows search bar doesn't work like before. When I click it and type something it just freezes for few seconds and then closes by itself. It's hard life without a search bar, please help me, thanks.Edit: I've had similar issues before, but...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: Hello, good day to everyone...My windows search bar doesn't work like before. When I click it and type something it just freezes for few seconds and then closes by itself. It's hard life without a search bar, please help me, thanks.Edit: I've had similar issues before, but...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: In recent days windows10 start menu search option is not working i tried with 3 different environments so please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-search-not-working/2089c103-8f7e-4d9d-baf6-42c766bc6afe
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: In recent days windows10 start menu search option is not working i tried with 3 different environments so please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-search-not-working/2089c103-8f7e-4d9d-baf6-42c766bc6afe
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Cortana
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working?: Hi, My name is Santosh. I have facing Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working? at first, the search menu would not even appear, now it appears but does not work....
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working: I was reluctant to run the update August 30, 2019—KB4512941 to and for good reasons after having to reinstall window on my HP Workstation. Now Fast forward a month and surly the issues must be resolved ? Well after install the update on my workstation laptop now the...
  10. Start menu no longer works

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu no longer works: My Win10 Start menu no longer works with my main user account. It still works under other user logins. It doesn't open whether I hit the Windows key or if I click the Start button. Any clues? 17088

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows start menu search keywords