Windows 10: Win7 to 10 upgrade lost RAID10 config!

Discus and support Win7 to 10 upgrade lost RAID10 config! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone is able to offer some advice on recovering my RAID10 configuration after upgrading to Win10 stuffed it. I think I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Craig10, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Craig10 Win User

Win7 to 10 upgrade lost RAID10 config!

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is able to offer some advice on recovering my RAID10 configuration after upgrading to Win10 stuffed it. I think I inadverntantly made it worse as well by being a bit impatient and accepting a couple of prompts I shouldn't have.

Basically I have upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 via the free in place upgrade, all seemed to go smoothly except for losing my RAID10 config. The OS is actually installed on a separate SSD while the raid covers four 2TB drives with a lot of data I'd like to get back! After opening disk management just to get a look at what was going on (later to see all drives listed as RAW), it did while waiting for the drive info to load, present me with the option of setting two of the raid disks in question to I believe MBR or GPT which I clicked ok to both with the default MBR selected.

I have since restored it back to Win7 in the hope this would reverse the changes but it hasn't and now when I open the RAID control during bootup, the first two disks are no longer members of the raid. I figure I may be able to boot into something like fdisk and remove the MBR from both disks, hopefully restoring the raid? If so I will be making a complete backup before doing that again!

Thanks,

Craig

:)

Craig10, Mar 30, 2016
  2. Ken_5555 Win User

win 10 upgrade hangs, revert failed

System: MSI XPower 64 bit with Intel i7-3770K, Z87 chipset, Raid10 solid state disks.

The upgrade to Windows 10 hung at 24% (83% of files copied) on black screen. The disk light remained on. After 24 hours with no change, I powered it off. On restart, it began restoring my previous OS (Win7, 64). At the login screen, no USB devices are recognized
    including the mouse and keyboard. Therefore I cannot log in, enter safe mode or any other operation that requires an input.

What do I do next?

Ken_5555, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Rotation Lock button is gone from Action Center

I don't when it starts to happen since I am using my tab like a desktop most of the time. Couple weeks ago I started finding my Acer tab Switch SA5-271 cannot rotate the screen at all.

Trying to enable it from Action Center but the button is gone.

I also tried to look for it in the Display setting, the switch button is also gone under the Landscape Orientation.

I looked for it from "Notifications & actions" setting to try to add the button back to Action Center, the Rotation On/Off switch is not available.

So I started to find the latest update from Acer and Microsoft, it is now with everything up to date but it is still no helping. No auto screen rotation at all.

Does any have the same issue and know how to solve it?

Thanks,

Raymond

upgrade vista to win7, Mar 30, 2016
  4. Win7 to 10 upgrade lost RAID10 config!

This is why RAID on a desktop is always more trouble than it is worth. For future reference, you should always have important data backed up before doing any major system changes (actually should always be backed up anyway). There's an old saying that I've heard mentioned for almost 20 years now...RAID is not a backup.

The reason I say that is because recovery is often very difficult, if not impossible, on an array. You may end up needing some RAID recovery software. It's been a while since I've looked in to this, but it used to be quite expensive (to do an actual rebuild).

ReclaiMe File Recovery Software

DeaconFrost, Mar 30, 2016
  5. Craig10 Win User
    Hi DF,

Thanks for that. Yes, I realise I should have backed up first. After a smooth upgrade of my wife's PC with a few partitions I unfortunately didn't think to much of clicking the go button on mine while doing jobs around the house.

I did initially look into that ReclaiMe software on the PC in question after reverting to Win7 and various apps started doing odd things and mostly not responding to my controls while doing their own thing...felt very suss and I have since avoided the official site for that software. It was reported as the only free and trusted raid recovery software on DIY Approaches to RAID 10 Recovery, do you know if this is in fact correct?

Currently trying to find a copy of fdisk somewhere to put on a bootable USB and remove the MBRs but do you think I can find it...

Craig10, Mar 30, 2016
  6. Craig10 Win User
    Hey Guys,

Currently enjoying my fresh install of Win10 but still have my raid disks sitting by in the hope I can still recover any data of them.

That free ReclaiMe software (ReclaiMe File Recovery Software) claims it can use 2 disks in a raid 0 to recover from but as I said in my previous reply, after initially installing it I had a number of odd things happen so without some recommendations and endorsements from others that know for sure it is clean software (not virus or trojan laden) I am extremely reluctant to try it again. Is anyone able to offer up experience of using this software without issues or at least confirm it is legit software and not malware?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win7 to 10 upgrade lost RAID10 config!

1. Win7 to 10 upgrade lost RAID10 config! - Similar Threads - Win7 upgrade lost

2. win7 to win11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win7 to win11 upgrade: hi, I'm looking for a program that will test compatibly of hardware.the one MS has only test win10 to win11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-to-win11-upgrade/f69ee1e5-8bc2-49f6-9b3e-4e54e01a6b1a
  3. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  4. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  5. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. WiFi lost after upgrading Laptop from Win7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi lost after upgrading Laptop from Win7 to Win 10: Has anyone else lost their WiFi after upgrading to Win10 from Win7 on an HP laptop? I can't turn Wifi on with the F12 key anymore - using Ethernet for now...
  7. Lost my WSL config

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost my WSL config: Hey guys, I just upgraded my windows to version 2004 but when i tried to replace my WSL 1 to WSL 2, i somehow lost my WSL 1's files, folders, configs and all other stuff. i was wondering if theres any way to get recover those files because those files are really important...
  8. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  9. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  10. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...