Windows 10: Win7 to win10 can i delete this folder?

Discus and support Win7 to win10 can i delete this folder? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I went from Windows 7 pro to Win10 pro and i noticed that there is a Windows.old folder on the C drive that is 22gig in size, if im correct that is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by encom45, Dec 8, 2015.

1. encom45 Win User

Win7 to win10 can i delete this folder?

I went from Windows 7 pro to Win10 pro and i noticed that there is a Windows.old folder on the C drive that is 22gig in size, if im correct that is the windows 7 installation right? can this folder be deleted?

:)

encom45, Dec 8, 2015
  2. RidgieR Win User

Deleting Win7

I loaded Win 10 over Win7 on my PC. When I start my computer the screen shows all the icons etc as it was on Win7. To start win10 I need to click on the windows icon in bottom left of screen. Can I delete Win7 so the Pc starts up in Win10 mode?

RidgieR, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Genezz Win User
    Removing residual Win-7 after the free uopgrade to Win10

When I upgraded to the free Win10 last year, it stated that I could revert to Win7 at any time as long as the Win7 files were retained. OK, I think at this point I will not be restoring Win7. So how to I delete all the Win7 files that was retained? Is
    there a uninstall or is it a folder or hidden folder that can be simply deleted.

So far, I have not seen this issue addressed as is the reverse.

Genezz, Dec 8, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows.old contains your old Windows 7 to allow you to roll back if you choose. Once deleted you cannot roll back.
    Here's how to delete it:
    Open Admin command pront, copy and paste the following line then run:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

NOTE: Put a check mark on everything except: Setup logs files, answer Yes when prompt for confirmation

topgundcp, Dec 8, 2015
  5. encom45 Win User
    thanks topgundcp, i want to delete it because Windows is installed on a 120gig ssd drive with limited space. i dont plan on going back to win 7 and if i do just do a clean rebuild.

encom45, Dec 8, 2015
  6. encom45 Win User
    i ran the command and selected everything except system logs and clicked on clean up system files it does no prompt me with anything. i then click ok and the window closes the windows.old folder was not deleted?

encom45, Dec 8, 2015
  7. encom45 Win User
    ok i finally ran the cleanup but the windows.old folder is still there. I need to free up room for my hard drive it is only 120gig ssd.

encom45, Dec 9, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Boot into safe mode by holding down shift while clicking restart from the power icon. Try deleting it in safe mode.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2015
  9. encom45 Win User
    thanks finally worked after i changed the owner of the folder, its weird Win10 is pretty anoying with folders and files even though im a admin i have to make myslef owner of files and folders.

encom45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win7 to win10 can i delete this folder? - Similar Threads - Win7 win10 delete

2. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  3. Win10 Deleted Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Deleted Folders: I have Windows 10 Pro v1909 18363.1802 My SSD boot drive C: has 10GB free of 74. Abruptly last weekend there was like 20 minutes of continuous drive activity. There was no message or alert from Windows. After the drive activity, everything continued fine. HOWEVER, when I...
  4. Can i still upgrade WIN7 to WIN10 for free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i still upgrade WIN7 to WIN10 for free?: Can i still upgrade WIN7 to WIN10 for free? submitted by /u/MintonCRO [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gyv4rq/can_i_still_upgrade_win7_to_win10_for_free/
  5. Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles: I have a desktop PC running Windows10 and an older laptop that is running Windows7. This is a home computer setup with full admin rights on both machines. I am trying to share folders between the machines over the home network. Both machines can see the other, but when I...
  6. Can I upgrade Win7 Ent to Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I upgrade Win7 Ent to Win10?: I have a Win7 Enterprise desktop as well as a Win10 laptop that I rarely ever use. Is there anyway to "tr'fer, or release that key to my desktop? 113632
  7. I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition: I have a dual boot with win10 and win7 on the same 1TB HD. Disk management will not allow me to delete the win 7 partition. I need that disk space back! Delete is greyed out. How can I get around this problem? 89337
  8. how can I dual boot win10 and win7

how can I dual boot win10 and win7: I upgraded to win 10 on my pc bt I discovered my gaming is too slow, so I want to install win 7 through a system image I created on my second pc( the same type and specs but different username and o.s since I upgraded my main pc from win7 to win10) onto the new...
  9. how can I dual boot win10 with win7

how can I dual boot win10 with win7: simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives. Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive. 97664
  10. Upgraded from Win7 to Win10, can't delete old Adobe folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded from Win7 to Win10, can't delete old Adobe folder.: Recently, I had replacements done on my desktop rig, including motherboard, CPU, 4x the amount of RAM than I used to have (32GB now, 8GB before), and two new SSDs. There is one issue I have with the secondary SSD, but that is beside the point of the question I have for this...