Windows 10: Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key

Discus and support Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey folks. Sorry if this has been answered before but I've been scrounging around online on and off for the last week and not found the answer to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mush89, Jan 11, 2021.

1. /u/Mush89 Win User

Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key

Hey folks.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've been scrounging around online on and off for the last week and not found the answer to my specific question so here goes:

I have a retail license for Windows 7 Home Premium which was installed on a old PC where I took up the offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10. That PC died but I retained the HDD. I don't seem to have my Win10 license key written down anywhere but I do still have the Win7 key.

I'm building a new rig this weekend, 13 years after my last build and probably 4-5 years after my last PC died. I therefore want to install Win10 on a brand new SSD.

From what I've read I should have a digital license key for Windows 10 somewhere.

I've logged in to my Microsoft account and I cannot see a key associated with it (no devices seem to be attached at all), so I'm assuming just logging in to my Windows account won't help activate Win10 on my new build.

I've read conflicting stories of people who have just pumped their Win7 key into a Win10 install and have been successful. Is there any definitive answer to whether this works in 2021.

The only alternative I can come up with is to boot from my old HDD (and cross my fingers that it still lives) to try and recover my Win10 key that way. Can you point me in the direction of how to extract my key this way? And if I do this will the key still work on all new hardware? Or is it linked to my old mobo?

Are there any alternatives to using my upgraded Win10 license on my new build without forking out for a new license which I have missed?

Thanks in advance

submitted by /u/Mush89
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mush89, Jan 11, 2021
  2. R-T-B Win User

A question for Win10 users.

It doesn't. It simply adds you to a hardware activated whitelist with a generic key. Your Windows 7 key will still work.

EDIT: That poll... I'm not beautiful. I'm a fat guy. Seriously people. I sit in an armchair all day and play videogames. I am the anti-beauty.

R-T-B, Jan 11, 2021
  3. LeoBloom Win User
    Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
    • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)

LeoBloom, Jan 11, 2021
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key - Similar Threads - Win7 Win10 hardware

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  6. Win7 key to reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 key to reinstall Win10: My PC used to run Win7 when I bought it few years ago, upgraded it to Win10 later as it was free. I would like to reinstall my windows 10 now but do I use my old Win7 product key to reinstall Win10? or is the key no longer usable at all?...
  7. Win7 key to reboot Win10

Win7 key to reboot Win10: My PC used to run Win7 when I bought it few years ago, upgraded it to Win10 later as it was free. I would like to reboot my windows 10 now but do I use my old Win7 product key to reinstall Win10? or is the key no longer usable at all?...
  8. Activation - lost after Win10 "refresh" - original Product Key was Win7, upgraded to Win10...

Activation - lost after Win10 "refresh" - original Product Key was Win7, upgraded to Win10...: Hi, can you help me with this please. I am running Win10 on an old laptop, which originally came with OEM Win7, certificate of authenticity attached from when I first bought this laptop. I did a Windows "refresh" to cure problems after recent update (couldn't fix via...
  9. Win10 from Win7 activation key lost

Win10 from Win7 activation key lost: Hi everyone, I'll try to be as brief as possible with this matter: I used to have an old VAIO laptop back when Windows 10 was released, and there was the chance to update from my original activation of Windows 7. I did so, then gave this laptop to a realtive, and just got...
  10. Gaming hardware drivers for Win7 OK in Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gaming hardware drivers for Win7 OK in Win10?: I haven't had the new PC delivered yet, but am wondering if, as Vista drivers for gaming hardware tended to be OK in Win7, should they and/or Win7 drivers work in Win10? Thinking of things like Saitek X52, Belkin Nostromo N52.. I could of course post to the various...