Windows 10: Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen

Discus and support Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to update a win7 machine to win10. At a certain point the screen became black and nothing happen. The problem occurs when install is at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fraschizzato, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen

I'm trying to update a win7 machine to win10. At a certain point the screen became black and nothing happen.

The problem occurs when install is at "Cortana choice page", for a short time I can see a "Disconnecting" message and then the screen became black, still on but black The rear illumination is on, keyboard backlight on, hdd light flashing.

I've tried to wait half a day but nothing. The only option is to force restart, at boot I have 7b error and after third error I can rollback to win7 with success.

Tried both with iso image and update tool, with oem install and with separate win10 product key. Tried all the recover option in the rescue menu.

Win7 is full updated, driver at latest version.

How can I do? There's an installation log to see what happen?

Thanks

:)

Fraschizzato, Dec 31, 2019
  2. RG_4083 Win User

Black screen with cursor on screen after few days from upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Original Title: Issue with black screen with cursor after win7 upgraded to win10

Post upgrade from win7 to win10 it worked fine for few days but recently I am facing a problem with black screen appearing after entering the password, only cursor is visible. I did below steps suggested on Internet

1. hit ctrl+Alt+del

2. start a new task from task manager

3. Hit explorer.exe

However this fails saying a feature for windows 10 need to be installed call NTVDM. It tries to install and fails with error . Can somebody suggest me a solution to this?

RG_4083, Dec 31, 2019
  3. Throopy Win User
    Win10 to win7 rollback failure - black screen

Hello

I have recently updated my Win7 machine to Win10...However I did not like Win10.

I performed a roll-back to windows 7 - went through each step.

Monitor went black with just cursor available (moveable)

I have tried switch off/on again lots of times... I get windows logo screen at boot up and then nothing, just the cursor.

I have got the option - starting in safe mode etc - I keep choosing start windows normally as I'm not sure if starting in safe mode is the right thing to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Throopy, Dec 31, 2019
  4. YoKaichou Win User

Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen

Tried to install Win10, failed. Started up, saw Win7 screen. Restarted. Forever black screen.

I'm not sure if I should put this in Win10 or Win7 but here's the explanation:

I tried to install Win10. It failed and when it failed, it started my Win7 back up due to rollback and backup data. After that, I shut it down and tried to restart again, but now it's just a black screen.

I'm not looking to fix this, rather, I'm wondering if my workaround will work. If it doesn't, I hope to find another way, but I'm wondering if it's possible for me to format my harddrive using a Win10 disk and just installing fresh and clean. Will my Win7
    key work or will the key at least be transferred somehow? If not, is there someway I could contact microsoft for the answers to my question?

YoKaichou, Dec 31, 2019
Thema:

Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen

1. Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen - Similar Threads - Win7 Win10 update

2. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  3. Fix graphics drivers and Win10 black screen (Win7)?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fix graphics drivers and Win10 black screen (Win7)?: Hello, I had Windows 10 and everything was always running fine but out of nowhere I had a black screen and the only way out was to format the HDD over the bios. Then I installed Windows 7 and wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 but after the PC restarts the Win10 logo comes up...
  4. Win7 to Win10 inline upgrade is failing with CalculateRequiredDiskSpaceInstallReq2184:...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win10 inline upgrade is failing with CalculateRequiredDiskSpaceInstallReq2184:...: Hi, Win7 32bit pro to Win10 bit pro inline upgrade is failing - no antivirus running - no external devices attached - C drive has 77GB space available - Executed disk clean up - Executed disk defragment - Executed disk checkdisk /f - did the clean reboot The Win10...
  5. Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy: I'm reluctantly starting the process of upgrading from Win7 to Win10, and I have a few concerns. How does Windows 10 Home edition currently handle installing updates? What are the recommended tools/techniques for enhancing privacy? Most of the information I've found online...
  6. Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old (Win7) games fail on Win10 AU: This has to be the least important problem with the AU, but ... Shortly after installing Win10 I installed the old W7 solitaire package using the procedure in Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. It has been working fine for a a year or so....
  7. Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7): Hi Last time I checked Win10 it was only possible to postpone installing certain Win updates that W10 found, nothing more. Is it EVER going to be possible on W10 to do as in W7 ... namely install only the Win updates that the user wishes to install? If yes - how? Thank...
  8. Optiplex 7010 Upgrade win7 to win10 failed

Optiplex 7010 Upgrade win7 to win10 failed: Looking for some advice. As stated, I'm trying to upgrade a Dell Optiplex 7010 from Win7 to Win10 and keep getting a failed install due to 0xC1900101-0x30017 "the installation failed in the first_boot phase with an error during boot operation". Normally I would do a clean...
  9. Not ready for Win10, but Win10 nag screen won't allow Win7 updates

Not ready for Win10, but Win10 nag screen won't allow Win7 updates: I'm still playing with Win10 on a tablet and not ready to install it on my main computer. Meanwhile, there are 32 Windows 7 updates pending. I've selected all 32 in Windows Update, then clicked the OK button, but that just takes me to a screen for installing Win10. I'm not...
  10. Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login: Yesterday updated from Win7Pro to Win10Pro my old Lenovo Thinkpad x220. The laptop does have the original 320GB HDD and a mSATA 240GB SSD, the latest used as main disk now with Windows 10. For security reasons I never deleted the older Win7 installation in the HDD. At...