Windows 10: Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade

Discus and support Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear Forum, Please find below my query. Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks in advance. Context: C1 I have a laptop ref: laptop A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by arli582, Jun 6, 2020.

1. arli582 Win User

Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade

Dear Forum,

Please find below my query. Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks in advance.

Context:

C1 I have a laptop ref: laptop A with a pre-installed version of Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

C2 I seemingly have the product key for the Win 7 licence - it is shown on a sticker on the base of laptop A.

C3 I also own a retail version of Win10, which is currently installed on another laptop ref: laptop B.

C4 I can seemingly update laptop A to Win10 using the 'Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant'

C5 I have a new SSD that I would like to use in laptop A to improve it's performance.

Aim: To install a new SSD in laptop A and install Win10 using thepre-installed Win7 licence.

Questions:

1 What is the best way to achieve the aim?

2 Can I simply use my Win10 retail installation pack and the new SSD with laptop A, but enter the Win7 licence key at the appropriate point?

3 Do I need to perform the Win7 to Win10 update using the 'Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant', and then attempt to upgrade the HDD to the new SDD? If so, how do I do this to preserve the Win10 update?

This is perhaps a simple/trivial matter, but prior to taking steps it would be good to know the most appropriate route.

Thank you.

:)

arli582, Jun 6, 2020

2. How will I know that the Win7 to Win10 upgrade is ready?

I bought a new, larger HDD and installed vanilla Win7 on it (call it "new-Win7-HDD"). I then performed Windows Updates until KB3035583 was installed. I then did the "Get Windows 10" exercise and was informed that my upgrade is now reserved and
    I'll be notified when it's ready.

So I could have a working system while I wait, I pulled out new-Win7-HDD and substituted my old HDD (call it "old-Win7-HDD").

Question 1: How will I know it's time to switch back to new-Win7-HDD (so that the upgrade can be completed)?

Question 2: Would it be a good idea to uninstall KB3035583 from old-Win7-HDD so that the upgrade isn't done on the wrong HDD?

Notes:

When new-Win7-HDD is upgraded, call that "new-Win10-HDD".

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I will retire old-Win7-HDD.

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I plan to do whatever needs to be done to create a clean install, then wipe new-Win10-HDD and do a clean install <<<<---- COMMENT?

That's my plan, and those are my questions. (I couldn't find any existing article or forum post that specifically addressed Question 1.)

Thank You.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Jun 6, 2020
  3. dkwong55 Win User
    Win7 to Win10 upgrade issue ... 0xC1900101-0x30017 and then 0x40017

hi, Andre,

yes, i think my note did say that i already created the bootable ISO on a DVD and started the Win10 upgrade from there. i already contacted the vendor and he gave me a list of Win10 drivers, suggested the bootable ISO upgrade method but did not recommend
    a new BIOS update.

My PC is a ZOTAC CI320none with an Intel processor running a licensed Win7 Home Premium SP1.

dkwong55, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade

Win7 --> Win10 upgrade

When MS made the Win10 free upgrade available, I upgraded my win7 system to win10. Some time after that, I had a disk failure and reinstalled win7 because it was my understanding the free win10 upgrade was no longer available. That was a year and a half
    or so ago. Now I was just reading that, in fact, Microsoft keeps that information on a server and that I could, in fact, reinstall win10. Is that correct? I would really have to put win10 on and then find out it wasn't licensed and I had to go back and reinstall
    win7.

BobKatcher12487, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade

1. Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade - Similar Threads - Win7 Win10 Upgrade

2. Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage: is it necessary to buy a new windows 10 product key when I upgrade my HDD storage into SDD storage or my original windows 10 product key was included too when I do cloning?...
  3. Hdd to SDD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hdd to SDD upgrade: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/minibeto666 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgesqd/hdd_to_sdd_upgrade/
  4. HDD crashed and replaced with a SDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD crashed and replaced with a SDD: replaced the HDD in my laptop after it crashed and I could not get it to recover. Now it will only go to the hardware diagnostics and will not load from usb or do anything eles. How do I get my laptop to load windows 10 from the usb and I have a probuct key?...
  5. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  6. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  7. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  8. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  9. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716