Windows 10: Win7 to Win10 upgrade vs fresh Win 10 install: is fresh truly better?

Discus and support Win7 to Win10 upgrade vs fresh Win 10 install: is fresh truly better? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently did a Win 10 21H1 fresh install on a virgin M.2 NVMe drive and was surprised to discover a size of 28.6 GB (discounting the pagefile and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ritjesman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. ritjesman Win User

Win7 to Win10 upgrade vs fresh Win 10 install: is fresh truly better?

I recently did a Win 10 21H1 fresh install on a virgin M.2 NVMe drive and was surprised to discover a size of 28.6 GB (discounting the pagefile and hibernate files). This was considerably larger than expected based on research and my recollection of a Win 7 to Win 10 1909 upgrade. To check my aging memory I reformatted the drive and than did a Win 7 fresh install (using SIW2's 7updater found on Seven Forums) immediately followed by an in-place upgrade to Win 10 2004. [Note: I know it's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison but differences between 2004 and 21H1 could not account for the variances depicted below.] The fresh vs upgrade comparison is shown below (accomplished by mounting Macrium Reflect backup images). The windows.old folder is deleted, the pagefile.sys moved off of C:\ and hibernation disabled on the upgraded drive: Line items representing less than 1% each are not shown. As depicted the upgrade approach results an installed size over 30% smaller than a fresh install and the machine actually seems to boot faster (although that's subjective since I failed to actually run the reboot time test on the.fresh install before over-writing it). My interpretation of info gleaned here and elsewhere was that a fresh/clean install is presumed to be superior to an in-place upgrade due to elimination of old OS left-overs. Did I misinterpret the implied advocacy that a fresh install is preferable? Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

:)

ritjesman, Jun 22, 2021

2. Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Fresh Install of Win10 after Upgrade?

I've upgraded Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. My system is running slow so I want to do a Fresh Install of Win 10. Question is How do I do it? How to create a Bootable usb of installed Win 10? and also I'm unable to see Product Key of my upgraded Windows?
    Is there any Step by step guide to do that? Help me out!!!

ChetanThapliyal, Jun 22, 2021
  4. Win7 to Win10 upgrade vs fresh Win 10 install: is fresh truly better?

Fresh Install of Win 10

I have a PC with Win 7 and I did an upgrade to Win 10 and it seemed to work fine except I wanted to do a fresh install and I did not see how to do a fresh install. So with this PC which now has Win 10 how can I do a fresh install?

Also, I have 2 other PCs (1 with Win 7 the other Win 8.1) how can I do a fresh install to start off with?

Thanks for your help.

NeilGoldwein, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Win7 to Win10 upgrade vs fresh Win 10 install: is fresh truly better?

1. Win7 to Win10 upgrade vs fresh Win 10 install: is fresh truly better? - Similar Threads - Win7 Win10 upgrade

2. Windows 11 upgrade from a fresh Win10 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade from a fresh Win10 install: I bought a new laptop, MSI GF76, which does not come with a windows preinstalled only DOS. If I install a licensed windows 10 to it, will I get an upgrade to a licensed windows 11 for it?...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade from a fresh Win10 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade from a fresh Win10 install: I bought a new laptop, MSI GF76, which does not come with a windows preinstalled only DOS. If I install a licensed windows 10 to it, will I get an upgrade to a licensed windows 11 for it?...
  4. Bugcheck - on fresh Win 10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bugcheck - on fresh Win 10 install: Hi Guys and gals, I've encountered my first BSOD after a fresh install of Win10, before it, i was getting consistantly different BSOD's. I will start off by saying, temperatures are fine, RAM is tested and fine (memtest 4.5 hours and Windows memory diagnostic). I'm dying...
  5. Fresh install of Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of Win 10: I have an 2014 vintage ASUS Transformer that I would like to wipe clean and buy/install Windows 10. The problem is the original Win 8.1 install seems to be corrupt. It will not update, and if I try to refresh or reinstall, it wants the installation media, which I do not have....
  6. Fresh win10 install on sshd

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh win10 install on sshd: I had to do my build over as I was having issue with my firecuda sshd booting or even accepting win 10 after cleaning and formatting and redownloading I reinstalled from usb to the ssd win 10 os this time I got a miracle and with the ssd being the only thing in my bios that...
  7. Fresh Install Win 10

Fresh Install Win 10: My two PC were free upgraded to Win 10 last year. I want to re install the Win 10 on one of that PC due to virus in that PC which is not getting removed. My question is, how to re install Win 10 and how it will be activated. Do I need to note down some thing from this PC to...
  8. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install: This is on an old eMachines M6805 laptop that originally came with XP 32-bit. I put a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit on it which ran fine. I then upgraded that to Windows 10 32-bit. The first time it booted up I was able to log in but got a BSOD shortly thereafter. Ever...
  9. Fresh Install vs Update

Fresh Install vs Update: You can do that without clean install, look up in tutorials. I did that despite changing almost whole computer. Old one was on legacy BIOS and new one on UEFI BIOS and M.2SSD. As for clean installs, only once (last spring update), before that thru numerous Insider builds, it...
  10. Anniversary: upgrade vs fresh install

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary: upgrade vs fresh install: Hey there, I've upgraded to Anniversary release using Upgrade Assistant, having Win 10 64-bit Pro version installed and everything is looking good until now. My concern is related to the programs functionality that was already installed, is this a good choice are there...