Windows 10: Win7 Windows Action Centre monthly reminder to back-up/Not so in Win10

Discus and support Win7 Windows Action Centre monthly reminder to back-up/Not so in Win10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On the first day of each month, Windows Action Centre sent me a reminder to back up my Win7 PC. Is that procedure now unnecessary on my Win10? I no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Taffy078, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Taffy078 Win User

Win7 Windows Action Centre monthly reminder to back-up/Not so in Win10

On the first day of each month, Windows Action Centre sent me a reminder to back up my Win7 PC.
    Is that procedure now unnecessary on my Win10? I no longer get that reminder.

PS I've always backed-up my files etc monthly in addition to the WAC back-up (it was impossible to find individual files etc on that WAC back-up) so the idea that I no longer need to back up regularly fills me with horror!

:)

Taffy078, Feb 8, 2016
  2. Taffy087 Win User

Win7 had a 'Backup now' reminder - has Win10?

I realise that you all must be very busy but can you please tell me if I have to back-up Win10 monthly as I had to with my Win7? The monthly reminders cam from the
    Windows Action Centre so it was from Microsoft, not from HP.

Edited to add: I think you didn't read the heading of this thread - it does say about the
    reminder in Win7.

Taffy087, Feb 8, 2016
  3. Taffy087 Win User
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10. What's the best way to Back Up?

A friend of mine recently upgraded his laptop from Win8 to Win10. He sought advice on backing it up before going ahead and was told to use the Windows Action Centre to back up to to an external source. He does this every month anyway so it was not a problem.
    His upgrade was a success - 'very smooth, very easy' in his words.

His wife then upgraded hers, doing exactly the same with Windows Action Centre to back up. It was a total failure - she managed to restore her Win8 but most of her documents have gone. She carried out a 'Search' in case they's been moved but no - they are
    well & truly gone.

I've no idea what their laptops are - that may have been a factor - but he said he'd bought both laptops at the same time.

I've just bought a Win10 laptop that I hope to set up this weekend, after which I'll upgrade my Win7 laptop to Win10. I already back that up monthly using Windows Action Centre - this nags me every month until I do the back-up and I've never had any issues
    with it. However, given what happened to my friend's wife I spoke to the retailers of my new laptop. An adviser there suggested that I buy an 'off the shelf' back-up program. He'd never heard of Windows Action Centre (!!!!! Does this come with the latest PCs?)
    & suggested that I was wasting my time doing a monthly back-up!

Am I wrong or is he?? If I'm wrong how should I externally back up my documents in case my older laptop gets screwed up?

Taffy087, Feb 8, 2016
  4. Win7 Windows Action Centre monthly reminder to back-up/Not so in Win10

One option many prefer to use would be seeing a full system image back up rather then scheduling partial backups. You can easily use the backup option that comes in Windows or opt for a 3rd party program with many pointing to the free Macrium Reflect. Personally since long before 7 arrived even I never scheduled backups but continually saw manual backups of each individual or group of individual files.

With 10 playing slightly by a new rule book being three versions newer then 7 you have to anticipate that there were a few changes made! The backup options look much the same as to be expected when in the Control Panel while other superficial things may have simply been either eliminated or have a newer approach to get at.

The new Start menu for example lacks the CP link while that is concealed in the right click on Start button dropdown menu there as well as the Command prompt, Command prompt(admin), Run command line previously in the Start menu with 7 now in that right click menu brought in by 8. And at some point some bloggers suggest that MS will be doing away with the Control Panel itself since the emphasis has been on touchscreen for both desktop as well as mobile.

Night Hawk, Feb 8, 2016
  5. Taffy078 Win User
    Thank you for this. I've installed Macrium free - I wish that I could have afforded the Home version as that backs up files and folders but I'll have to do them separately.

Incidentally prior to my upgrade from Win7 to Win10 Acronis was recommended to back up stuff before upgrading. I bought it but it was too complicated. Acronis were extremely sympathetic and gave me a full refund. Isn't that brilliant!!

Thanks again - much appreciated,

Taffy078, Feb 9, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Certainly is, yes *Smile Boosts your faith in human nature somewhat.

lx07, Feb 9, 2016
  7. Fortunately then I would say I still have the 2010 still in use then since as I was hearing the latest 2016 has become bloatware! That's a big disappointment since Acronis has always had one of the best reps all these years! *Sad I liked how the program actually compressed data down much further without chewing up as much drive space as the Windows backup tool does unfortunately. Otherwise you wouldn't even need any 3rd party stuff.

Shows Corporate Greed at it's best is what it amounts to! Bllaaaaaaahhh... *Sick I'll pass! *Rolleyes

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win7 Windows Action Centre monthly reminder to back-up/Not so in Win10

1. Win7 Windows Action Centre monthly reminder to back-up/Not so in Win10 - Similar Threads - Win7 Action Centre

2. Windows service centre and action centre issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows service centre and action centre issue: Recently after update ..windows service centre won't run and error message pop and action centre doesnot show on taskbar ...when i visited personalization and then to action centre it is enabled and in grey color ...bu still doesnot show..plz fix this issue...
  3. Action Centre

Action Centre: Before i used to have the tablet mode icon in my action centre, but recently i resetted my pc because it was a bit sluggish, but now the tablet icon seems to be missing from the right panel action centre, the tablet mode is there in my pc, but the icon has disappeared from...
  4. Action centre

Action centre: I can see the action centre icon on the bottom right of desktop, with a number of messages, but it will not open. When I go to system, notifications and actions and select Edit your quick actions, I get the error message "We're updating windows shell experience host. It...
  5. Win10 reverted back to Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 reverted back to Win7: A few years ago, I redeemed the free Win10 offer and upgraded my computer. Previously, I was using Win7 I believe the previous Win7 installation was kept on a petition on one of my internal hard drives, whilst the new Win10 installation was kept on my SSD. Just today,...
  6. action centre

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    action centre: The notification center will not stay open. Comes on momentarily and then goes off. How do I get it to work properly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre/300d282a-65a5-45c1-adad-2d13f3e56962"
  7. Action centre

Action centre: I am unable to find or open action centre. Windows 10 Home 1809 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre/3b83ba86-2001-4c48-980e-50dc281c08cd
  8. Action centre

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Action centre: After update to 1809 action centre is not showing the notifications.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre/3214836e-d26b-407c-b25b-3ecdd232b489
  9. Action Centre

Action Centre: I've just updated to 1803 after a lot of difficulty. I cannot open the action centre by swiping from right or even by clicking icon. If I click and hold I get a small menu but still cannot get it....
  10. Back up reminders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up reminders: How do I stop the incessant reminders from the Action Centre to perform a back up? 70909