Windows 10: '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates'

Discus and support '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Unable to find rock solid information on the difference between these two; the google has spoken and presented me with sources spouting speculation. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hAirypAulsAck, May 20, 2017.

1. '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates'

Unable to find rock solid information on the difference between these two; the google has spoken and presented me with sources spouting speculation. It would seem that the one is the system template location while the other is the user template location. Are they even in the same category of existing for the shell new context menu or am I way off?

Also, from what I can tell about templates for shell new files is that the location doesn't really matter. While this article instructs me to use ShellNew (as it was also this that I had used in the past and was familiar with), but remembering my awesome 'New Menu Editor 2.6.1.0' tool by RBSoft I recall that these templates can be placed anywhere (though I would highly advise against that)

:)

hAirypAulsAck, May 20, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Adding an app to new item in File Explorer

If the ShellNew folder does not exist - you can create a new folder and name it ShellNew . . .

DaveM121, May 20, 2017
  3. Explorer crashes with right click->New context menu

Copied the files of SendTo over, no change. SendTo was never an issue though; it still works fine. ShellNew is empty on the new account as well, but the issue is not present. In fact, as ShellNew is in Windows and not Users, it is the same ShellNew that
    I artificially made today. The same for both accounts, yet it works on one and not the other.

Tried that link, but it only refers to making and populating SendTo, and my SendTo is already populated.

CalebClever, May 20, 2017
Thema:

'%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates'

1. '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates' - Similar Threads - '%WINDIR%ShellNew' '%APPDATA%MicrosoftWindowsTemplates'

2. The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log: I ran a sfc scannow command prompt to fix my windows 10 and computer files. It could not fix some corrupted files. It did give this - windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log but none of that is on my computer. I've searched an there is nothing on the c drive. Is there something I can do to...
  3. The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log: I ran a sfc scannow command prompt to fix my windows 10 and computer files. It could not fix some corrupted files. It did give this - windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log but none of that is on my computer. I've searched an there is nothing on the c drive. Is there something I can do to...
  4. The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe: Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-windir-system32/61ccd9ce-bc01-4195-bf5f-1ea2215b3a6f
  6. Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe: Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-windir-system32/61ccd9ce-bc01-4195-bf5f-1ea2215b3a6f
  7. Windows cannot find windir system32 systempropertiesadvanced.exe

8. Windows cannot find "%windir%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe. Make sure you typed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find "%windir%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe. Make sure you typed...: Windows cannot find "%windir%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find/25510e39-38f7-4a68-9312-7817751f4f13
  9. Windows cannot find "%windir%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe. Make sure you typed...

Windows cannot find "%windir%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe. Make sure you typed...: Windows cannot find "%windir%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find/25510e39-38f7-4a68-9312-7817751f4f13
  10. Windows 11 OS taking more than 325GB space! Windir screenshot ,kindly advise me pls.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 OS taking more than 325GB space! Windir screenshot ,kindly advise me pls.: Good evening, Hope you are well, as the title says, just OS taking 325GB space, pls see the attached screeshot of windir showing the occupied space, i can expand the users folder but not the OS folder to see exactly which folder taking that much space....