Windows 10: '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates'

Discus and support '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Unable to find rock solid information on the difference between these two; the google has spoken and presented me with sources spouting speculation. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hAirypAulsAck, May 20, 2017.

1. '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates'

Unable to find rock solid information on the difference between these two; the google has spoken and presented me with sources spouting speculation. It would seem that the one is the system template location while the other is the user template location. Are they even in the same category of existing for the shell new context menu or am I way off?

Also, from what I can tell about templates for shell new files is that the location doesn't really matter. While this article instructs me to use ShellNew (as it was also this that I had used in the past and was familiar with), but remembering my awesome 'New Menu Editor 2.6.1.0' tool by RBSoft I recall that these templates can be placed anywhere (though I would highly advise against that)

:)

hAirypAulsAck, May 20, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Adding an app to new item in File Explorer

If the ShellNew folder does not exist - you can create a new folder and name it ShellNew . . .

DaveM121, May 20, 2017
  3. Explorer crashes with right click->New context menu

Copied the files of SendTo over, no change. SendTo was never an issue though; it still works fine. ShellNew is empty on the new account as well, but the issue is not present. In fact, as ShellNew is in Windows and not Users, it is the same ShellNew that
    I artificially made today. The same for both accounts, yet it works on one and not the other.

Tried that link, but it only refers to making and populating SendTo, and my SendTo is already populated.

CalebClever, May 20, 2017
Thema:

'%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates'

1. '%WINDIR%\ShellNew' -VS- '%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates' - Similar Threads - '%WINDIR%ShellNew' '%APPDATA%MicrosoftWindowsTemplates'

2. Can previous AppData folder be accessed through Windows.Old after a reinstall?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can previous AppData folder be accessed through Windows.Old after a reinstall?: Just trying to make sure I can access some of the old files on there if I go ahead with the reinstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-previous-appdata-folder-be-accessed-through/df15977f-4ee4-4bc2-8c2c-5fa0834b637d
  3. How to access AppData folder in safe mode?

How to access AppData folder in safe mode?: I am currently trying to back up my Firefox bookmarks and passwords before starting a clean windows 10 reinstall. My PC is caught in an "attempting to restore previous version" loop, so I'm using the Command Prompt method of accessing and backing up my C drive files before...
  4. I get the BSOD about once per week: systemprofile\AppData\Local\PlaceholderTileLogoFol der

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I get the BSOD about once per week: systemprofile\AppData\Local\PlaceholderTileLogoFol der: Can anyone tell me what this folder is used for? Here's the filepath: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\PlaceholderTileLogoFolder Unrelated question: I get the BSOD about once per week at odd times. Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpad purchased about a...
  5. What to do with the windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log from the SFC scan?

What to do with the windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log from the SFC scan?: I am finding solution to my problem in starting some modules in my Laptop. I found in the internet that SFC /scannow may resolve the problem. But it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are...
  6. How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key?: I have been trying really hard, but failing, to remove these items from the "new" context menu (as shown when right-clicking the desktop background): * Microsoft Access Database * Microsoft Word document * Microsoft Powerpoint presentation * Microsoft Excel sheet This is on...
  7. Windows cannot find '%windir%\system32\optionalfeatures.exe'

Windows cannot find '%windir%\system32\optionalfeatures.exe': Hi, Since having someone update my laptop to Windows 10 from the pre installed Windows Vista Home Premium Home some time ago, I have lost full access to certain systems. For example, when trying to open the control panel I get an error msg that shows Windows cannot find...
  8. I accidentally pressed delete on %Windir%/system32/drivers/etc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally pressed delete on %Windir%/system32/drivers/etc: Hello, Today I found malware in %Windir%/system32/drivers/etc/Host so I decided to delete that folder and now what should I do? P.S. I don't have an backup in my computer Thank you!...
  9. C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\cmd.exe /k %windir%\\system32\\ipconfig.exe Windows 10 что это?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\cmd.exe /k %windir%\\system32\\ipconfig.exe Windows 10 что это?: C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\cmd.exe /k %windir%\\system32\\ipconfig.exe Windows 10 что это? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_10/cwindowssystem32cmdexe-k-windirsystem32ipconfigexe/da44aacd-25ec-42cd-920f-1aa0840f2291
  10. HUGE %WINDIR%\Installer folder

HUGE %WINDIR%\Installer folder: My wife's mini-ITX PC was upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. The installer directory has over 36 GB of stuff in it (mostly smaller installer files for what looks like OS components, some dating back to 2013). I see from online research that it's not a good idea to prune this...