Windows 10: WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean?

Discus and support WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; What is [0:32 s] ? 2TB HDD. Is that percentage HDD fee? Why the weird format? Rest of entries are x% https://imgur.com/pOAkObh submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CortexExport, Dec 29, 2020.

1. WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean?

/u/CortexExport, Dec 29, 2020

2. 100% disk usage on Lenovo Windows 10

Looks like part of your screenshot above is missing.

My system -

WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean? [​IMG]

As mentioned above, you can add additional columns to the list of processes by right-clicking on any column header.

I would suggest adding Disk Reads and Disk Writes from the Process Disk tab

You should be able to identify which process or processes are heavy disk I/O users.

Should look like this (when sorted by clicking on a column header) -

WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean? [​IMG]

OldNavyGuy, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Rapid Disk Usage Variations on Windows 10.

Hi Crackers,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Widows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are facing issues with access the operating system as it randomly performs slow and becomes slow. We will help you with this issue.

Provide us the below details to assist you better:

• Do let us know the make and model of your device?
    • Does this issue persists when you place your laptop in Safe mode as well?
    • Is this issue specific while performing and particular task on your device?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

step 1: Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 10, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details
      tab.

• Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".

• From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.

• Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.

• Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Also, refer to: Free
    up drive space in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 29, 2020
  4. WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean?

Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean?

1. WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean? - Similar Threads - WinDirStat Disk space

2. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this mean?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.Every time my computer, is totally off.And I, turn it on. I see this.Does, this mean. There's a problem,with my computer?I'm, concerned. Is there a way, to stop it.Or, should I. Just not, worry about it?Thanks for reading . . ....
  3. What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?: Every file and folder says the same thing in the Total size column. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-the-total-size-column-in-explorer-mean/5a2ffd96-6268-40cb-9dc9-1826ff039d24
  4. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/toyfreddym8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8teez/what_does_this_mean/
  5. What does that mean?

What does that mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PiperidinDerivat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j62iz0/what_does_that_mean/
  6. What does this mean?

What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrMinerNiner [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6cowh/what_does_this_mean/
  7. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean?: I'm having frequent, seemingly random, full system crashes. There's no warning, no "restarting now" notification. One moment the computer is functioning normally, the next it's running through the boot cycle again. I've reset windows, uninstalled all third party apps I can...
  8. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  9. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430
  10. Check Disk - What does this mean please?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Check Disk - What does this mean please?: Windows 10 pro - C Drive SSD. Chkdsk gives this result: The allocated length 0x10e6000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3. The allocated length 0x158000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag...