Windows 10: Window 10 - blurry text in non-high DPI aware apps - try to fix it

Discus and support Window 10 - blurry text in non-high DPI aware apps - try to fix it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded to the Windows 10 becouse I was looking forward to per monitor DPI feature. This feature works well - except for the non-high DPI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yaqwsx, Aug 15, 2015.

1. yaqwsx Win User

Window 10 - blurry text in non-high DPI aware apps - try to fix it

Hello,

I upgraded to the Windows 10 becouse I was looking forward to per monitor DPI feature. This feature works well - except for the non-high DPI aware apps. These apps are rendered using DPI virtualization and appear blurry on high DPI displays. I've read some MS articles about it - the application is rendered using standard 96 DPI and then scaled up. Which seems wrong to me. The base DPI should be configurable!

I have a high-DPI display in my laptop and sometimes use classic external display. Why should I suffer blurry apps on my main display? If I use the "all displays same DPI fix" all apps are sharp. So if the base render DPI would match main display, I could get sharp image. And the scaled-down window on external display should look much better than the scaled up window.

I assume the value of render DPI isn't a registry key, but it is a hardoced constant in code. But it should be possible to change it with some nasty dissassembling, etc. I am not afraid of it. However I have no clue, where to start looking for it. Could you help me?

:)

yaqwsx, Aug 15, 2015

2. Can I change base DPI for DWM (Desktop window manager)

Hello,

I am suffering from the "well-known" blurry text problem in Windows 10 (I have 120 DPI display, so I am using 125% scaling and non-high DPI aware apps are blurry). I also use external monitor with 96 DPI, so I want to use per-DPI awarness (that's why I upgraded
    to Windows 10). When I set DPI globally to 120 DPI, all aps are nice and sharp and scaling doesn't work.

So I studied how does per display DPI works. It is handled by DWM (Desktop window manager) service. This service takes care of off-screen rendering and windows composition on the displays. When app is not DPI aware, it renders it using 96 DPI and scales
    it up. This is kinda bad behaviour for me - I'd like to apps be rendered at 120 DPI and scaled down if necessary., becouse I mainly work on the high DPI display and the downscaled image has much better quolity than the upscaled.

According to this piece of documentation (Desktop Window Manager (Windows)), it should be possible to change the default value of off-screen rendering DPI (there's an example where window is downscaled),
    however I didn't undestood, how to change it.

Could you help?

Or if the value is not user changable, where can I post Windows 1 feature request?

Jan Mrázek, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Regarding High DPI Scaling Behavior In Windows 10 (p)

Hi David,

High-DPI scaling improves the way Windows 10 handles automatic scaling per-monitor, which reduces the amount of blur or incorrect size for legacy apps. Here are the three scaling options:

• System (Enhanced) will make the text and interface look crispier and elements will be sized correctly. This new option will override the way that a particular app handles the DPI scaling, which can result in interface elements and text
      being blurry, and allows Windows 10 to take care of the scaling.
    • Application used to be referred as "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." Using this option will force the app to run on a per-monitor DPI awareness.
    • When you enabled System, Windows 10 will stretch the interface, bitmap elements, and text will be blurry. This is the standard way Windows 10 handles scaling.

The new DPI scaling settings are only available for traditional desktop (GDI-based) apps. Windows Store apps cannot be configured with these options because they're already optimized for high pixel density displays.

Should you need additional information, do let us know.

Jennifer Bri, Aug 15, 2015
  4. yaqwsx Win User

yaqwsx, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Window 10 - blurry text in non-high DPI aware apps - try to fix it - Similar Threads - Window blurry text

2. High-DPI-awareness scaling factors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High-DPI-awareness scaling factors: Hello, all Whan I check the value of GetSystemMetricsSM_CXSCREEN on a high-DPI device with Widnows 10, I see that the ratio between virtual and physical pixels is exactly two: GetSystemMetricsSM_CXSCREEN == 2736; // high-DPI-aware GetSystemMetricsSM_CXSCREEN == 1368;...
  3. Blurry text fix?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blurry text fix?: I have two monitors and this issue had started over the past few weeks. Whenever my mouse isn't on screen, that screen goes really blurry, when I move my mouse back over, the text corrects and goes clear again. Any ideas? submitted by /u/happyshelgob [link] [comments]...
  4. Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling?: So my issue is that some of my apps (e.g. Audacity) looks blurry on my 14-inch laptop. I tried a few tutorials of changing the DPI but that just makes everything look smaller. Does anyone have the solution to fix this blurry issue without making everything look small?...
  5. True fix for High DPI monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    True fix for High DPI monitors: Hi, I have 2 27" monitors. One 4k and the other 1440p. While scaling the 4k monitor up to 150% makes it appear the same as the 1440p monitor, Windows still detects the 4k monitor as a "larger" monitor. This way i can't align them properly, like i can in MacOS. I'm also a...
  6. High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry: I recently purchased a laptop running windows 10. It has the latest updates, and both scaling and resolution are set to windows recommended (150% and 1920x1080), but still even windows' inherent popups are blurry (images are attached). Please guide me as to how to fix this...
  7. High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry: I recently purchased a laptop running windows 10. It has the latest updates, and both scaling and resolution are set to windows recommended (150% and 1920x1080), but still even windows' inherent popups are blurry (images are attached). Please guide me as to how to fix this...
  8. See DPI Awareness of Running Apps in Task Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See DPI Awareness of Running Apps in Task Manager in Windows 10: How to: See DPI Awareness of Running Apps in Task Manager in Windows 10 How to See DPI Awareness of Running Apps in Task Manager in Windows 10 Dots per inch (DPI) is the physical measurement of number of pixels in a linear inch of a display. DPI is a function of display...
  9. FIX | Windows 10 Blurry Text and Windows!

in Windows 10 Support
    FIX | Windows 10 Blurry Text and Windows!: I've searched through the web and I found this great tool that fixed the blurry text that I had after changing my scale to 125% in Windows 10. [img] Simply download the file from the following page, run it and and choose the Windows 8.1 DPI scaling option and the...
  10. Windows 10 DPI-Awareness issues, blurry text 125%

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 DPI-Awareness issues, blurry text 125%: Hi, I don't know if it has been asked before but I have had issues that I can reproduce on both my laptop and desktop, with DPI scaling. Applications like Device Manager would scale fine in 8.1, but in 10 the text is stretched. At 125% the text is blurry, and at 200% it...