Windows 10: Window 10 Locks Up with Crossfire 7850s

Discus and support Window 10 Locks Up with Crossfire 7850s in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; So my computer locks up in a few games with crossfire enabled. Witcher 3 for example locks up my system almost instantly when I set it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by GhostOfDawn, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Window 10 Locks Up with Crossfire 7850s

So my computer locks up in a few games with crossfire enabled. Witcher 3 for example locks up my system almost instantly when I set it to fullscreen(which enables crossfire). Skyrim will lock up my system after a couple minutes of gameplay. Fallout 4 instantly locks up my system at the load screen. I do not believe it is a power supply issue, because crossfire works totally fine with Furmark and I tested out the cards by themselves without the crossfire bridge using a gpu bitcoin miner program. I have tried 16.3 drivers, 16.2.1 drivers, 16.1.1 drivers, 15.12 drivers. I've used DDU between them as well. I have stress tested both cards individually. There are no BSODs or DMP files created. Nothing shows in event viewer except kernel power, most likely because I hold down the power button to restart my computer. If it makes any difference, the card in slot 1 is a Sapphire 100355-1GOCL, 1GB GDDR5(Elpida) slot 2 has a XFX FX-785A-CDFC, 2GB GDDR5(Hynix).

Sapphire 1GB. Slot 1 PCIEx16@x16
    Ran witcher 3 for about 5 minutes, everything was fine. 30-42 fps.
    Ran furmark for 5 minutes with 8x msaa and xtreme burn in, no issues. Fps min 4, max 8, avg 6.
    Ran skyrim for 5 minutes, all good. Fps 54-60
    Ran fallout 4 for 5 minutes, no issues. 28-66 depending on the area.
    Ran OCCT GPU test for 5 minutes with error checking enabled, test stopped once. Completed the second time. 70-73 fps No errors.
    Ran Evga OC Scanner X with Furry E GPU memory burner 1024MB, with artifact scanner enabled and 8x MSAA for 5 minutes, no artifacts.
    All of these were ran in fullscreen mode.

XFX 2GB. Slot 2 PCIEx16@x4
    Witcher 3, 5 minutes, no issues. Fps 30-41
    Furmark xtreme, 8x MSAA, 5 minutes, stuttering a little compared to the other card. Fps min 2, max 6, avg 4.
    Skyrim, 5 minutes, no issues. Fps 52-60
    Fallout 4, 5 minutes, slow texture pop in at first, but everything loaded in shortly after. Not sure if this is a gpu problem. Fallout loaded faster than on the Sapphire run. Fps 25-65 depending on area.
    OCCT GPU test, error checking enabled, j5 minutes. Test stopped twice 6 seconds in both times. Completed the third time 60-65 fps on the first two, 54 fps constant the third time. No errors.
    Evga OC Scanner X Furry E 2048 MB memory test, 5 minutes, no artifacts found. I noticed one thing though, it was only using 87% of the card compared to 96% on the sapphire card. Could this be because it's on the pcie x16 slot that's only x4?
    All in fullscreen mode.

I've found something odd, only DirectX games lock my system up. OpenGL programs and games do not lock me up at all with crossfire enabled. What gives? I've done a full Windows re-installation and I still have problems.

:)

GhostOfDawn, Mar 19, 2016

2. Why do Windows 10 updates reset my AMD Radeon 6950 Crossfire to enabled? Are these Windows updates stable?

Today 12/17 about 1:30 PM PST apparently Windows attempted to give me an update. I had gone to the kitchen and came back to a rearranged browsing windows and a disabled monitor. Having seen this before, I opened AMD graphics control and there was no
    menu selection to disable crossfire. I have a 3 monitor configuration running AMD Radeon 6900 paired graphics cards linked with crossfire. To use a three monitor extended configuration I disable the crossfire. Every-time Windows updates my OS, my crossfire
    is re-enabled. My Windows updates are scheduled for 3:30 AM. I don't know why an update attempt is occurring in the middle of my work day.

At this point, I restarted which is when the updates were installed

After receiving the update, I again disabled the crossfire and though I had an extended display again, my computer locked up. No mouse movement though I could see the mouse; not possible to close any windows using the keyboard and Control/Alt Delete would
    not shut the computer down. I had to shut down using the power switch and re-boot whereupon my crossfire was again enabled. I disabled it and this time the computer did not lock up.

This desktop is an AMD FX 6300 Six core CPU on and Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+ motherboard. Surely Windows developers would have considered this type of configuration

Thomas_Beck, Mar 19, 2016
  3. system service exception X6va060

i have same issues after Winodows 10 pro x64 November update ,crossfire works in build 10240 but after update when crossfire want to load it's crash my pc and keep restarting everytime I load this game ,when I talk with Mods or Gms in crossfire they say
    It is a known Microsoft issue to which they are trying to find a solution and
    CrossFire is supported on Windows 10, but as Windows 10 was released very recently, you might run into some issues that have not been discovered yet.

Crossfire say no problem with game and windows 10 new update cause this crash because new driver which crash the game from starting please see this as fast as you can and thx .

AhmedNinja, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

Window 10 Locks Up with Crossfire 7850s

1. Window 10 Locks Up with Crossfire 7850s - Similar Threads - Window Locks Crossfire

2. Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?: Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-11-support-amd-crossfire/73666148-3b6a-4269-8563-ed266899ce90
  3. Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?: Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-11-support-amd-crossfire/73666148-3b6a-4269-8563-ed266899ce90
  4. Windows 10 Locking up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Locking up: Every since Windows 10 was installed on my laptop, the laptop locks up every few minutes for about a minute at a time. It is very frustrating. Any suggestions? It is up to date on all updates....
  5. Crossfire of normal RX580 and mining RX570?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Crossfire of normal RX580 and mining RX570?: I'm thinking about doing a CF. Now I have RX580 Nitro+ SE, but I'm looking for a 2nd card. Was thinking about 2nd Nitro+ SE or Nitro+, but they cost a little (have enough, but if I can spend more...) - 500 (Nitro) or 550 (SE) PLN for the cheapest ones (used ofc) - it is...
  6. Windows 10 Lock up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Lock up: Windows 10 locks up when running applications and idling. total lockup. sound buffer repeats. screen either totally black, white or light blue. no BSoD. have to turn off at power. happens at least once a day. lost count of work lost. started when automatic upgraded to...
  7. Windows 10 completely locking up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 completely locking up: I just upgraded to a new motherboard, cpu, ram and installed an ssd to install Windows on. After a fresh install on the ssd the computer will freeze completely, I can't move my mouse or use my keyboard and I'm forced to force restart my pc. I've done a memtest to check if...
  8. Windows 10 locks up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 locks up: I have a copy of Windows 10 Pro. Currently, I can't actually use it, because the system will boot, and ~5 minutes after login, the entire system locks up. Any disk activity that was currently happening stops immediately. The system doesn’t reboot or shut down. It simply holds...
  9. crossfire issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    crossfire issue: Hello my english isnt the best so ill try to be as clear as i can i have a problem with my crossfire im trying to run two r9 390's it seems to be toggled on in the radeon settings but when i look at the performance monitor it clearly shows only one of the cards working at a...
  10. Crossfire Video problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Crossfire Video problem: ​My crossfire AMD Radeon R9-270's was running fine on Win 8.1 but now since update to Win 10 only one card shows and both was running fine on win 8. I plugged in to top card first pci-e on MB(win 8) now only 2nd pci-e bottom card(win10)works and have to plugin VGA or HDMI...