Windows 10: Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk

Discus and support Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Don't know since when my window 10 laptop cannot perform safety remove my external hard disk but it do able safety remove flash drive. I have no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PangKim Hau, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk

Don't know since when my window 10 laptop cannot perform safety remove my external hard disk but it do able safety remove flash drive. I have no idea what program it started cause my hard disk not able to be safety removed as i have try to freshly connect my hard disk when computer is just booted up and without start anything after device connected. I try to eject it but window still prompt me message that some program is accessing which not allow me to safety remove my hard disk.

:)

PangKim Hau, Sep 30, 2018

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 30, 2018
  3. No access to external hard disks after last window 10 update

hello Petra

Method 1:

Check whether the external hard disk is detected in Device Manager, right click on it and click on Uninstall the drivers. Plug in the external hard drive again so that Windows automatically installs the drivers. Check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, go to the External hard drive in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select Properties. Click on the Security tab and then click on Edit and click on Add and type Everyone and press enter. Select Everyone from the list and place a
    check mark in Full control. Press apply and ok and check if you are able to access the External hard drive.

Method 2:

If you are still unable to access your hard drive, I suggest you to refer to the steps mentioned in the following link and try to take the ownership and check:

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670/en-us

Pedro Bruguera, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk

How to remove external hard disk from storage pool on Windows 10

Hi Velen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern about removing the external hard disk from storage pool, we will help you with this issue.

Try the below steps to: Remove a physical disk by using Windows PowerShell
    and check if it helps.

• Press Windows
      key from the keyboard, type Windows PowerShell and select
      Run as administrator.

• Enter the command replacing <diskname> with the disk name:

• Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName <diskname> -Usage Retired
    (If the pool is clustered, you will need to run this command on the cluster node which has the cluster resource for the pool online.)

3. Prior to performing step 5, you must wait for all active repair jobs to complete. To monitor the status of repair jobs, type the following command:
    Get-StorageJob

4. Type the following command: Remove-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName <diskname>

5. Physically disconnect the old disk.

For further reference: Storage Spaces Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk

1. Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk - Similar Threads - Window unable safety

2. External hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard disk: Hello everyoneI'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.I've recently bought a new external hard drive, an upgrade for my old one in terms of size and speed, the thing is by chance I've...
  3. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  4. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  5. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk

Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk: Hello I wonder if anyone can assist at all? I use external hard disks for storing music and other media multimedia content, as well as for moving data between PCs. Earlier today though, all of a sudden, Windows was unable to access the drive the PC in question referred to as...
  7. Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro on my personal laptop. I had encrypted one of my external hard disks using Bitlocker couple of years back and it is running fine. However when I try to change the password it gives me error saying "The drive cannot be encrypted because it...
  8. Unable to delete windows backup from external hard disk.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to delete windows backup from external hard disk.: Unable to delete windows backup from external hard disk. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-windows-backup-from-external-hard/c8b71bc9-46e4-46d3-971d-5b2afb6b8e35
  9. Cannot safely remove external hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external hard disk: When i right click safely remove Hardware and eject media, my idle hard drive automatically starts vibrating (reading/writing I dont know) everytime and then if i try to eject it says the device is currently in use. Why is this happening? I now have to shut down my laptop if...
  10. external hard disk

external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28