Windows 10: Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated)

Discus and support Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Windows 10 desktop PC has a SSD 250GB Sandisk drive with Windows 10 OS on it. My computer crashed and I had to turn of by the power. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ian2211, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Ian2211 Win User

Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated)

My Windows 10 desktop PC has a SSD 250GB Sandisk drive with Windows 10 OS on it.

My computer crashed and I had to turn of by the power.

When I turned it on it said:

'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'.

I went into Bios and the HD is detected.... I have installed Windows 7 on another drive and from the desktop am able to gain access to the following information.

I am hoping the data is still there on 'Drive 0' and that the boot and tables pointing to it need to be rewritten?

Any ideas on how I can fix so I can get Windows 10 to boot again?

Thanks for any help / advice,

Ian

Drive Information:

Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated) 3bb2accb-e79e-4f3d-a0fc-e74bc4bff615?upload=true.jpg Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated) fdc78250-9cc8-403c-a286-4a873b6a6cdf?upload=true.jpg

:)

Ian2211, Jun 26, 2019
  2. erixx Win User

Sabertooth 990fx won't boot to windows logo, it shuts down

to boot and enter bios and load windows, any todays PSU (with the correct plugs) will work, AFAIK

to enter BIOS only low wattage is used.
    Then, during boot, the HDD and a bit later the videocard card start to demand juice, then the other devices and periphericals... so the total demand during boot up is incrementing step by step, that's why a failure halfway could indicate a PSU problem....

erixx, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Doesn't Boot

Provided both OSes main partitions are still there, it's always possible to recreate the windows bootloader and the grub bootloader, one after the other.

If it's a matter of recreating your windows bootloader from scratch, here's how to do it.

From your Windows DVD / usb key, drop into console and follow those instructions:

You should be good to go, Windows 10 should boot properly.

Later you can reinstall the grub2 bootloader from a live CD, and let it manage the dualboot for you. This has been discussed here : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-win-7-machine-dual-boot.209395/#post-3229778

blobster21, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated)

UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated)

1. Window 10 Won't boot - Says No Boot Device - Partition gone (unallocated) - Similar Threads - Window Won't boot

2. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...
  3. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...
  4. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. boot partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  6. boot partition

boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  7. Unallocated space to the left of boot partition-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unallocated space to the left of boot partition-: I did a clean install of Windows 11 from USB media creation tool and I've made a mess of C: SSD. I watched videos of how to do this, unfortunately the ones I watched failed to show what to do when one got to the partitions part of the install. Several said to delete all...
  8. Unallocated space to the left of boot partition-

Unallocated space to the left of boot partition-: I did a clean install of Windows 11 from USB media creation tool and I've made a mess of C: SSD. I watched videos of how to do this, unfortunately the ones I watched failed to show what to do when one got to the partitions part of the install. Several said to delete all...
  9. Shutdown during Partition, Windows 10 won't boot to desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdown during Partition, Windows 10 won't boot to desktop: I was shrinking my Volume F and adding the free space to Volume C basically, partitioning. That is when the electricity went off and the pc windows 10 shut down. When I started it once again it asked me to select my language and after that I was asked to choose two options:1....
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition: Around a year ago I wanted to test out Windows 10, so I created a 100GB partition on my 250GB SSD and installed it there and dual booted with my main OS Windows 7. After a few months I was beginning to run out of space and decided to stick with just Windows 7. However, in...