Windows 10: Window blots out desktop and won't close or move

Discus and support Window blots out desktop and won't close or move in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909 on a refurbished Dell Latitude 3330 that I received through a program for low-income disabled seniors. I use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CluelessInSeatl, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Window blots out desktop and won't close or move

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909 on a refurbished Dell Latitude 3330 that I received through a program for low-income disabled seniors.

I use the laptop in bed, where I spend most of my time these days due to chronic health issues.

When I'm typing I have trouble keeping my hands completely away from the touch-pad, because due to weakness in my arms, I have a tendency to rest my wrists on the forward edge of the laptop. This bad habit triggers all manner of confusing events when my hands accidentally brush against the touch-pad.

One of the most annoying of these events is a window which pops up, blotting a good half of the Windows 10 Desktop. This window doesn't seem to have either a Minimize or a Close button, and I've not been able to figure out how to move it aside. It just won't budge, so I have to resort to shutting down and restarting my laptop.

Here's what it looks like:

Window blots out desktop and won't close or move [​IMG]

Can you tell me what it is? I suspect it may be Cortana. I tried disabling Cortana via group policy following instructions I found on the web, and it just keeps coming back.

Any ideas on how to make it go away?

:)

CluelessInSeatl, Dec 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 desktop Icons are blotted with small black square

Original title: My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

MarianneCusick, Dec 6, 2020
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Dec 6, 2020
  4. Window blots out desktop and won't close or move

Applications won`t maximize

Following a W10 update, applications only open as minimised on the taskbar and won`t maximize. I have tried closing them minimised but no good. Can anyone help ? thanks

PhilipMaclean, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

Window blots out desktop and won't close or move

1. Window blots out desktop and won't close or move - Similar Threads - Window blots desktop

2. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  3. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  4. Mouse won't move out of primary screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse won't move out of primary screen: I have an odd problem using multiple monitors. I have a setup using 3 identical ASUS MX239 monitors connected to a Thinkpad X1 laptop. All of the monitors are connected to the laptop using USB C, with 2 being connected via an external Trigger 6 display adapter to an HDMI port...
  5. Cortana won't close

in Cortana
    Cortana won't close: If I press the close button, and then press Alt+Tab, it's still there. Must be a bug in 2004 update. Or is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-wont-close/a7662b02-9e4a-41f9-8999-43c7a4d14c6e
  6. How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder: I don't want to use OneDrive (OD) with my W10 (2004) PC because I don't need to access files via other devices and I back up important files to an external hard drive. Also, I don't want to be beholden to Microsoft for monthly fees. Microsoft keeps sending me email messages...
  7. Logmein window won't close

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Logmein window won't close: I had an update problem yesterday and called in. My problem was solved readily but the Logmein rescue window did not close and I’ve tried everything I can think of to close it but it won’t go away and keeps popping up. How do I close it?...
  8. DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

in Windows 10 Support
    DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves: Hello Notebook with external monitor. Active Desktop is on embedded monitor. Close lid, desktop jumpes to external monitor. How to stop that bad behavior? Power Options: When I close the lid: Do Nothing. That's a blatant lie. It does something. I moves the desktop to the...
  9. Desktop Icons Won't Move

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...
  10. Moving Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Desktop: I want to move my desktop from the 'One Drive' in my User account to the C drive. I am wary of losing any file associations, shortcuts etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks 112383