Windows 10: Window Defender unusual & extreme CPU useage

Discus and support Window Defender unusual & extreme CPU useage in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have needed to use the above, as for some reason Eset has disappeared as an option from my right click in file explorer. Any advise to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Lethal42, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Lethal42 Win User

Window Defender unusual & extreme CPU useage

Hi,

I have needed to use the above, as for some reason Eset has disappeared as an option from my right click in file explorer.

Any advise to resurrect would be appreciated.

However when I set Windows defender WD to scan either of my drives, the CPU useage goes to 100%, and the RAM close behind it.

I am running an I5 with 16GB RAM...never been an issue before.

Any advise again, would be appreciated, or any clarification required.

regards

Lethal42

:)

Lethal42, Feb 16, 2021
  2. ejp me Win User

cpu useage

Ever since the December upgrade my CPU useage has always been near or at 100% with memory useage (of 4K) at 80% or higher. I am running Chrome and avast. I tried uninstalling avast but it stays in the tray and runs and shows up but can not uninstall.
    I get avast antivirus running and avast service too!

ejp me, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is.

All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine unusable due to the draining of resources. Not to mention the scan would disappear, but was still running in the background. The only thing I could do at that point was to wait until it was done scanning, or shut down the unit

I found this thread that's about a year old, followed some of the suggestions, but nothing really helps.

I have no problem with the Quick scan.

High CPU usage when Windows Defender perform a Full Scan in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Windows Defender is my only virus protection, so there is nothing to create a conflict.

I put my defender installer folders in the excluded list. I changed my power settings from High Performance to Balanced.

I ran chkdsk /scan, sfc /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and a Memory diagnostic. All normal.

Finally, I did a fresh install.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

kitpzyxmsir, Feb 16, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

BlueSound OS conflict with Windows Defender

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that Windows Defender blocks BluOS app. It is very unusual that Windows Defender blocks the app. However, I would suggest you to try adding the app to the Exclusion list of Windows Defender and see if that helps.

To add the application to the Exclusion list, please refer the steps mentioned in the article

Add an exclusion to Windows Security

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Window Defender unusual & extreme CPU useage - Similar Threads - Window Defender unusual

2. Windows Image Acquisition High CPU useage - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Image Acquisition High CPU useage - Windows 10: WIA is using up to 17% of my CPU usage and it gets stuck doing so and therefore my HP laptop fan never turns off. I've stopped the process using task manager but then it eventually starts running again. Also, obviously when I stop it , I can no longer use my Epson es-400ii...
  3. Windows Image Acquisition High CPU useage - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Image Acquisition High CPU useage - Windows 10: WIA is using up to 17% of my CPU usage and it gets stuck doing so and therefore my HP laptop fan never turns off. I've stopped the process using task manager but then it eventually starts running again. Also, obviously when I stop it , I can no longer use my Epson es-400ii...
  4. Windows Image Acquisition High CPU useage - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. unusual cpu usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unusual cpu usage: when i open task manager, or a little less than a second it displays cpu usage as an outrageous number like 65 or even as high as 75, but then goes back down in an instant, so i can’t see what’s taking up all that cpu usage. do i have a virus? submitted by /u/Bxxqueefius...
  6. Keyboard freezing in high cpu useage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard freezing in high cpu useage: I have experiencing keyboard lags in 90% cpu useage which causes my keyboard to stop for a while and only keys like esc works. My keyboard have no problems because it runs on my secon pc well. I have installed latest drivers also checked the power management settings for...
  7. Keyboard lag in 100% cpu useage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard lag in 100% cpu useage: I have experiencing keyboard lags in 90% cpu useage which causes my keyboard to stop for a while and only keys like esc works. My keyboard have no problems because it runs on my secon pc well. I have installed latest drivers also checked the power management settings for...
  8. CPU useage unexplained high

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU useage unexplained high: Yesterday updated system via Windows update , just normal security monthly , and cumulative updates , and today turned system on . Task manager has unexpectedly showing cpu useage at very high levels 100%. Normally CPU usage at 5% with No more than normal programs opened ....
  9. cpu useage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cpu useage: Ever since the December upgrade my CPU useage has always been near or at 100% with memory useage of 4K at 80% or higher. I am running Chrome and avast. I tried uninstalling avast but it stays in the tray and runs and shows up but can not uninstall. I get avast antivirus...
  10. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload: I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is. All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine...