Windows 10: Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching...

Discus and support Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I refer to behavior enabled by "Show this window on all desktops" and "Show windows from this app on all desktops" options. It's very useful when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CodeScu1ptor, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching...

Hi,

I refer to behavior enabled by "Show this window on all desktops" and "Show windows from this app on all desktops" options. It's very useful when I want some chat app, music player or other generic thing to be on all desktops, in multiple contexts. But if I switch such app to foreground, it immediately becomes foreground application for all desktops that's easily visible after pressing Win+Tab and looking at desktops' thumbnails.

For all windows/applications that are set to be shown on all desktops, I would rather prefer Windows to track position of such windows individually per each desktop, so if I switch such application to foreground, it doesn't automatically become foreground application for all desktops. It would be best if behavior described by me and behavior current as of Windows 10.0.19041 would be switchable through registry. I imagine that advanced users would like to use one or another depending on preference. What do you think?

If you get my point, you can ignore rest of the message below. If you're not sure what I mean, please take a look at this example:

1. [Active] Desktop 1 - writing a book:
      1. [Foreground] Text Editor,
      2. [Background] Web Browser with research materials for the book,
      3. [Background] Chat Application*.
    2. Desktop 2 - programming:
      1. [Foreground] Code Editor,
      2. [Background] Web Browser with programming articles,
      3. [Background] Chat Application*.
    3. Desktop 3 - procrastination:
      1. [Foreground] Web Browser with funny videos, memes and cats,
      2. [Background] Chat Application*.

* This is same window of Chat Application, because I have checked 'Show windows from this app on all desktops' option for Music Player. Note that I specifically chose Chat Application as an example, because the one that I have in mind, has all conversations in one window not a good design in terms of multiple desktops, but that's an app used in my workplace and I have no power to change it to better one.

My actions:

1. I look at Desktop 1, having text editor in foreground,
    2. I see a pop-up showing that someone sent me a message related to writing a book context of Desktop 1, so I switch to Chat Application and I have it in [Foreground],
    3. I chat for a while, then there is a lunch break, so I grab my lunch and decide to switch my working context away from book related,
    4. I press Ctrl+Win+Right, so I move from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2:
      1. What I see? Chat Application - it is app that is in foreground on all desktops now, until I will minimize it.
      2. What I want to see? Code Editor because this is the last thing I left in foreground in that context
    5. No, actually on a lunch break I want to switch to procrastination context,
    6. I press Ctrl+Win+Right, so I move from Desktop 2 to Desktop 3:
      1. What I see? Chat Application - it is app that is in foreground on all desktops now, until I will minimize it.
      2. What I want to see? Web Browser

What is your opinion, should it be possible to switch "window/application on multiple desktops" behavior in such way?

Regards,

Peter.

:)

CodeScu1ptor, Nov 10, 2020

2. how to stop Narrator switching the window that is in the foreground and has focus ?

When Microsoft Narrator is active it chooses to switch from the background into the foreground an the application window, hiding what I was looking at.

For example when using Outlook (both 2007 and 2016) if from the main 'list of emails' window I open a new window containing an individual email it often switched the 'list of emails' window to be back on top obscuring the email I was reading, or say a new
    email I am writing.

CharlesLey, Nov 10, 2020
  3. Sticky Note Missing

Hi KeithRawlings,

I'm Charles, an Independent advisor trying to help.

Let's see if with the following steps we can solve the problem:

1.- Open >> Sticky notes, when located on the taskbar (Right click on the option) >> Select: List of Notes, now check if your note is in that list.

2.- Follow the steps suggested by the Windows MVP in your article

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-sticky-notes-lost...

I hope the steps work for you

Attentive to any comments

Have a happy day

Best Regards,

Charles.

CharlesJones32, Nov 10, 2020
  4. Meghana C Win User

Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching...

fonts changed in sticky note

Hi John,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are facing with change of font size in sticky notes.

Is the issue specific to only sticky notes?

Kindly follow the steps to change screen resolution and check if it helps:

• Right click on the desktop and select display settings.

• Go to advanced display settings.

• Then select “recommended resolution” under
      resolution
      option.
    Please get back to us with the update on the issue.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching...

1. Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching... - Similar Threads - Window displayed desktops

2. Switching Desktops while in game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Desktops while in game: Hi, I only have one monitor and when playing games like to switch to discord using the desktop switch command: Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow. This used to work, while I was in game but it hasn't of late, and I was wondering if their was...
  3. Switching Desktops while in game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Desktops while in game: Hi, I only have one monitor and when playing games like to switch to discord using the desktop switch command: Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow. This used to work, while I was in game but it hasn't of late, and I was wondering if their was...
  4. Window becomes transparent when switched to - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window becomes transparent when switched to - Windows 11: I'm having this issue since the install of windows 11 two days ago, and it's becoming really annoying. Whenever I switch to another window using the taskbar or alt+tab the active window becomes transparent for a few seconds and goes back to normal. This bug also doesent...
  5. Window becomes transparent when switched to - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window becomes transparent when switched to - Windows 11: I'm having this issue since the install of windows 11 two days ago, and it's becoming really annoying. Whenever I switch to another window using the taskbar or alt+tab the active window becomes transparent for a few seconds and goes back to normal. This bug also doesent...
  6. Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground: The issue can be seen in this picture: [ATTACH] When I press the "Show Destkop" button in the right corner of the Taskbar, the desktop appears normally. The problem is that when I open any window or application the desktop disappears and I can only see the windows I have...
  7. Windows button becoming sticky - shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows button becoming sticky - shortcut: Hello guys. I am writing to you because I am highly annoyed by this stupid windows 10 feature, which whenever I press a certain combination of keys on my keyboard it turns my windows button to sticky and I can not type or do anything at all. My only option is signing out...
  8. Windows button becoming sticky - shorcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows button becoming sticky - shorcut: Hello guys. I am writing to you because I am highly annoyed by this stupid windows 10 feature, which whenever I press a certain combination of keys on my keyboard it turns my windows button to sticky and I can not type or do anything at all. My only option is signing out...
  9. 2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off: Hi, I have the following problem for a few weeks now: I have a "main" monitor attached to DVI and a beamer attached to HDMI of my GTX-960 graphics card. The monitor is set to primary display. For watching movies, I usually switch off the monitor, leaving only the...
  10. Possible to "Sticky" App to All Desktops?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Possible to "Sticky" App to All Desktops?: Basically, I want to have this one application window appear on all desktops. I'd like to be able to do it without having to pay for other software to achieve this. (DisplayFusion will do it, but for a fee of $25. And I really don't want to run another process and pay for...