Windows 10: Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Discus and support Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016). Only one share is involved - so fare. When I try to copy a file from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Frank Landwehr, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive

I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016).

Only one share is involved - so fare.

When I try to copy a file from local disk to the mapped drive (J: \\Servername\sharename) in any subdirectory it is strange:

Windows Explorer: Error J: is not accessable

Dos Copy: Working

Copy to UNC (\\Servername\Sharename): Working.

Saving a file directly from Excel/Word to this subdirectory: working.

I also installed totalcommander: working.

It makes no difference, If I map the J: with IP, Servername, or FQDN.

Other shares for this user/server are working fine.

It is not a UAC issue, it is all within the same users scope.

ABE ist not an issue, tried it with ABE on and off.

It is somehow related to the windows explorer, but I can't figure it out.

Any help? I'm quite sure it is not related to UAC/EnableLinkedConnections.

:)

Frank Landwehr, Dec 12, 2019
  2. NDarkstar Win User

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Hello:

Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would bring up a system dialog box wherein I could select a drive letter and choose to always map on boot.

Now, the explorer doesn't list it at all! I can type 'net use Z: "\\Our1stNASServer\Our Shared Folders"' into an Admin cmd window and that partially maps the drive (only 2 out of about 10 folders); the drive still doesn't show up in Explorer, either on the right side or the left!

I am snookered! I hope someone can help me - I spend a good percentage of my time trying to correct this problem!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

TheArtfulDodger, Dec 12, 2019
  4. AndreePin Win User

Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Windows explorer crashes when copy/paste to mapped network drives

Hi,

To get a better grasp of your query, kindly provide us the following:

• Does it happen to all Windows 10 network mapped drives?
    • Does it happen to all networked computers?
    • What are the updated apps on your computer?
    • Is your Windows 10 a Pro or a Home version?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you applied to fix the issue?
    We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

AndreePin, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive

1. Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive - Similar Threads - Window Explorer copy

2. Problem copying files from mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem copying files from mapped network drive: I just did a fresh Windows 11 pro reinstallation on an MSI GS76 laptop with an Intel i9 11th Gen CPU and 32 GB of RAM. I have four network servers mapped as drives. One of the mapped drives will not copy files from the mapped drive to the C: drive on the laptop- i get an...
  3. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  4. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  5. Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer: I have a problem accessing mapped network drive graphically. That is, I go to command prompt, input command like net use z: \\1.2.3.4\myfiles /user:myusername mypassword /persistent:Yes which works nicely from command line: I can access Z, I can see the files with dir-command...
  6. copy file to onedrive mapped as a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy file to onedrive mapped as a network drive: Hi I have my onedrive mapped as network drive, with some of the folders as local copy. When I try to copy a file from my desktop to a onedrive folder that does not have a local copy, the copy is initiated and ends in saying 0-bytes to copy. Despite of that the copy fails, the...
  7. Maintaining Drive Letters & Network Mappings in Windows Explorer

Maintaining Drive Letters & Network Mappings in Windows Explorer: I have a Surface Pro 7 & want to access the SDXC drive & map a network drive in Windows Explorer. I want the SDXC drive to have the letter E instead of the default, which is D, and I want the network drive to use the letter D. I know how to map a network drive, and I know how...
  8. Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer

Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer: Why aren't Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer and how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-network-drive-not-showing-in-file-explorer/d3932ee6-2c7d-4ff5-90b6-ff7c596ddc2f
  9. Windows Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Windows Explorer copy to mapped network drive: I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016). Only one share is involved - so fare. When I try to copy a file from local disk to the mapped drive (J: \\Servername\sharename) in any subdirectory it is strange: Windows Explorer: Error J: is...
  10. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer: Hello: Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would...