Windows 10: Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click

Discus and support Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; At the end of March, I updated Windows to 1809 build 1. Windows Explorer froze after right click 2. could not be opened from the task bar, and would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bsapple, Apr 9, 2019.

1. bsapple Win User

Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click

At the end of March, I updated Windows to 1809 build

1. Windows Explorer froze after right click

2. could not be opened from the task bar, and would keep restarting after ~30 minutes

Hence I reversed to 1803 build, which caused Windows Hello feature to stop working, and Biometric device driver missing.

Then, following an advice I received on this forum, I performed a repair upgrade using ISO file, for which updated Windows to 1809 build again, and introduced the same problem again.

So the troubleshooting I have done are:

1. No program installed recently

2. Problem persisted in Safe Mode

3. Drivers updated

4. sfc /scannow shows no problem in system integrity

I hesitate to go back to 1803 build for it will result in the same Windows Hello problem, so I hope to avoid it for now.

:)

bsapple, Apr 9, 2019
  2. CuriousD Win User

Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder

Hello. Recently, I had two instances when Windows Explorer stopped responding when I tried to access a folder. The first time, it seemed to focus on two video files and when I deleted the files, the folder was fine. The next time, I could not access the folder. I could access my back up on the NAS drive, but Windows Explorer would stop responding when I tried to access the folder on my secondary hard drive on the computer. I deleted the folder and copied the folder from the NAS drive to the secondary drive, but it yielded the same problem. I renamed the folder and I am now able to access the folder.

Do these two instances suggest a problem with my hard drive or with my current state of Windows 10?

Thanks for your input.

CuriousD, Apr 9, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer stopped responding after switching screens

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

- Do you get any error message?

- Which build are you using on your PC?

As Windows Explorer not responding, let us try to kill the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe process) from the task manager.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Start Task Manager.
    • Look for Explorer.exe under Processes tab, then right click on it and select End Process.
    • Now, try to create a new explorer.exe from the task manager.
    • Click on File and then click on New Task. Type Explorer.exe and click OK.

I f the issue persist, I suggest you to check in Clean boot state.

Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click

Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click

1. Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click - Similar Threads - Window Explorer Stop

2. file explorer crashes or stop responding when i right click on image after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer crashes or stop responding when i right click on image after windows 11 update: I updated my windows to the latest 22h2 version and now whenever I right-click on an image the file explorer stops responding and crashes after some time. When I right-click on folders or anywhere else I am not facing any issues. Also is there a way to hide the thumbnail icon...
  3. file explorer crashes or stop responding when i right click on image after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer crashes or stop responding when i right click on image after windows 11 update: I updated my windows to the latest 22h2 version and now whenever I right-click on an image the file explorer stops responding and crashes after some time. When I right-click on folders or anywhere else I am not facing any issues. Also is there a way to hide the thumbnail icon...
  4. Right click not responding

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Right click not responding: Dear Support team, Need help below 1. Right click of any file, folder, application, software is not working, it keep on scrolling round? 2. Windows defender scan is suspending continuously while full scan or custom scan or quick scan? 3. Inadvertently I installed one...
  5. Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files: I was going through my files doing some organization yesterday and it was going fine, but every time I even clicked on a couple specific files, explorer would freeze completely. So far they're only word files and it's the same ones every time, but it's not happening with all...
  6. Right click not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right click not responding: C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs,...
  7. File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File: Hello, I am facing a weird problem, where everything was fine and then every time I click a file in my File Explorer, it stops working and turns into "Not Responding". Opening folders work well. It happens only when I click on a file and try to delete it or move it. I am...
  8. right click not responding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    right click not responding: recently ,I reset my laptop and after the installation I face an issue whenever I try to right click on the desktop window the cursor goes to loading state and doesn't responds or open the context menu. Is there any solution ?? please help!!...
  9. Windows Explorer stop responding if I right click and hover over New.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer stop responding if I right click and hover over New.: I've had this issue ever since the last windows update. I'm used to creating new folders with the shortcut keys (Ctrl+Shift+N) but it's getting annoying to wait for the next update to fix it and I couldn't find any online fixes either. When I right click and hover over new...
  10. Right click not responding......

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click not responding......: Yesterday i reset my windows 10 and after the fresh startup , when i click the right mouse button (right click) on desktop .....then it did not respond infact only the blue circle was just loading , loading and still loading.......How to resolve this problem please tell if...