Windows 10: Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby

Discus and support Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, On my new laptop (it's in my specs) that came with 2004 preinstalled so far I have figured out that updating it to 20H2 has brought back the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hdmi, Jan 4, 2021.

1. hdmi Win User

Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby

Hi,
    On my new laptop (it's in my specs) that came with 2004 preinstalled so far I have figured out that updating it to 20H2 has brought back the option to enter Code:
    (in an elevated command window, and reboot after that) to revert from Modern Standby, or S0 Low Power Idle compatibility back to traditional-old S3 so I am using that for my temporary working solution.
    There's no option to disable Modern Standby in BIOS, and disabling Wake Timers also didn't help. And there wasn't even a Power Management tab to be found in the Intel WiFi 6 adapter's hardware properties panel until finally I got tired of getting frequent wakeups and decided to use the above registry hack.
    Running on 20H2, before the registry hack here's what it gave me:
    Code:
    After the registry hack with reboot, here's what I got instead:
    Code:
    Next, I unchecked the "allow this device to wake the computer" for the WiFi adapter, and I also turned the Wake Timers back on, just to see how stuff will behave. So far it hasn't woken up in a while.
    Is there anything I could try to get Modern Standby to work properly without it waking itself back up for no good reason, usually within the next hour?

:)

hdmi, Jan 4, 2021
  2. Jong Win User

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed!

I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including backup to local network server, and so far it has proven impossible.

While in the "Resiliency Phase" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...modern-standby) all apps run in an Interactive Session are suspended by the Desktop Activity Moderator, but tasks running In Session-0 appear able to run. However, once the computer has entered DRIPS any task that relies on sleeping hardware will not succeed and on the Dell XPS, which runs in "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected", this includes the network adaptors (both WiFi and USB connected Ethernet), so even backup tasks that I can get to run still fail due to no network connection.

Waking from DRIPS on a schedule seems impossible! Wake timers do not work on Modern Standby systems, so neither do any user created Task Scheduler tasks (even ones set to run under SYSTEM). About the only thing that will occasionally wake the system is Windows Update, but it seems there is no longer any way to schedule that. Microsoft docs say UWP apps can (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...y-wake-sources) but it seems no one has written one for this purpose.

Surely there must be a way, short of writing your own UWP app, to get a Modern Standby system to wake from DRIPS for out-of-hours for housekeeping?? There don't seem to be any code snippets we can use. This just seems crazy hard!

All that needs to happen is for the software equivalent of a "power button press" or even, I think, just the computer to leave DRIPS. The tasks are waiting to run and as soon as the system wakes they should keep the system awake until they have completed.

Hopefully someone can make me look a total fool and point out something I have missed!

Jong, Jan 4, 2021
  3. ChrisT2 Win User
    Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Hi Jong did you find a solution to this issue? I recently purchased a new Acer laptop that only supports 'Modern Standby' and like you I need to schedule tasks(Task Scheduler) to wake from S0(Modern Standby) to run programs that I have written, but have had no luck. I edited the registry to disable CsEnabled = 0(Connected Standby) "HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled" and subsequently reinstate S3(Standby), unfortunately upon waking from S3 the laptop graphics are distorted and the laptop requires a hard shutdown to recover, Event Viewer shows System went to S3 and woke. Acer support claims S3 isn't supported. As it is, my hair is thinning, I have been at this for a week now, I am going to take the laptop to Acer support as it is effectively a product that is not working as advertised...

ChrisT2, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby

Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake

I have fast internet speeds over wifi when I connect to the network (approx. 600Mbps). If my machine goes to sleep (modern standby enabled) and I wake it up after a while, speed drops from the original speed to a pretty constant 20Mbps. If I disconnect from
    wifi and re-connect the speed is back to normal. None of the other machines in my environment show this behaviour, older windows based Lenovo think pad and mac devices have consistently good performance. This is the first windows-based device supporting modern
    standby and the only device showing the issue.

Lenovo x1 Carbon 7th gen, with Intel AC-9560, all drivers up to date and firmware current. Have been observing this for a while and several driver iterations now. If I disable modern standby and select linux mode in the bios for standby the speed is normal
    after wake up.

I did research lenovo and intel boards and this problem seems to be rooted in windows.

GoetzPfeifferling, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby

1. Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby - Similar Threads - Window keeps waking

2. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  3. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  4. S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep: Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information by googling. Is that sleep state supposed to arm keyboard/mouse wakeup the exact same way than S3? I see that if I force S3...
  5. screen wakes up from standby very fast

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    screen wakes up from standby very fast: Hi, when I'm AFK, I usually lock windows by pressing Windows key + L As a side effect, the screen will quickly go into standby mode. I've bought a completely new system, a new PC, screen, mouse and keyboard. Now my screen wakes up just a few seconds after it goes into...
  6. Laptop Booting After Waking Up from Standby Mode Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Booting After Waking Up from Standby Mode Sleep/Hibernate: This is the problem, when I sleep/hibernate my device, all the systems are turned off, and when I wake it up from sleep/hibernate my device is restarting booting and I have to log in again and all my apps I opened before are closed. I've tried everything on internet but...
  7. Nvidia dGPU blocks modern standby on laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Nvidia dGPU blocks modern standby on laptop: I am asking for a friend, who owns a Dell XPS 9570, and his modern standby is broken since months now, always draining the battery in 2-3 hours by around 25%. I looked on the laptop via teamviewer, and tried everything to optimize it, deactivated all background stuff, tried...
  8. Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake: I have fast internet speeds over wifi when I connect to the network (approx. 600Mbps). If my machine goes to sleep (modern standby enabled) and I wake it up after a while, speed drops from the original speed to a pretty constant 20Mbps. If I disconnect from wifi and...
  9. Disable mouse wake up in modern standby

Disable mouse wake up in modern standby: Hi, I have new laptop Dell which support modern standby. There is one thing, I can't disable mouse to prevent waking up from modern standby. My mouse does not have power switch, so every time when I put my laptop to backpack it wakes up, because of mouse. I have tried...
  10. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby): So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed! I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including backup to local network server, and so far it has proven impossible. While in the "Resiliency Phase"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows modern standby is spyware

2. modern stanby which to wake up