Windows 10: Window keys and options, work machine

Discus and support Window keys and options, work machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All I have just upgraded to Win 10 from 7 for my son. With a few minor modifications I could get used to W10 as OS for my work laptop. For my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kiwig, Aug 1, 2015.

1. kiwig Win User

Window keys and options, work machine

Hi All
    I have just upgraded to Win 10 from 7 for my son.
    With a few minor modifications I could get used to W10 as OS for my work laptop.
    For my work I am also ready to have a fresh install with my 2yr old Asus machine. It has one or two corruptions I haven't been able to solve, no major though annoying.
    Initially it had a win 8 version(forgotten what it was) and then I installed Win8 pro over it. This was right after I bought it. Haven't updated to 8.1 and will try to bypass, if that is possible. I had a CAD software which did not like it when I did an upgrade to 8.1 so went back to 8.
    I have used "show key" to check what the key is and it gives me two options and have the following as you can see below. What version of w10 could I upgrade/install, is it a generic or pro?
    What is my fastest and cleanest(best for clean install) option to get to win10?
    Thanks

:)

kiwig, Aug 1, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade failed, OEM licence

Hi,

I recently upgrade a windows 7 machine to windows 10, once finished the machine would not boot, and the option to revert also did not work. I tried to reset the PC but that also failed.

So now I have an unbootable machine, and the CD key is OEM downgrade from windows 8. As the installation completed and failed after machine restart, would that mean the key was upgraded to windows 10? And what will I have as an option now to restore the
    machine, licencing wise.

Thanks!

Christopher Julian, Aug 1, 2015
  3. product key

My Windows 10 is activated. On doing a clean install the options is cancel and ok in the window where i can enter Product key. Tried to use the vindows vista key from the label on the machine. Did not work

Haagen Bach, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

You need to be at Windows 8.1 to upgrade.

You would go to Windows 10 Pro.

What you should do is create an image backup of you current Windows 8 to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free:
    Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

Says for Windows 7 but applies to Windows 8 as well.

Then upgrade to 8.1 then update 1.
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    Try your CAD software.

If no good then restore the image of Windows 8 or get updatedt CAD software.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  5. kiwig Win User
    Thanks and my apology for my late reply.
    For my situation it would mean, get the minimal updates for 8.1 + the updates to get 10 upgrade , upgrade to 10. Following that and for a clean slate a wipe and clean install. Possibly a day's work.
    Or get a 10 pro from the market and clean install.

kiwig, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Yup, that pretty much covers it *Smile

Trade a days work (or play, depending on how you look at it) vs $199. I'd spend the day. Think of all the things you might learn depending on what troubles you encountered *Roflmao2

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  7. kiwig Win User
    Sure, all with you on that one*Wink

kiwig, Aug 1, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

YOU DON'T HAVE TO do it from W8.1 -- if you have a valid licence key from W8 that works too for upgrade. Do that first and then clean install. Not Whatever OS you have it must have LATEST UPDATES and BE ACTIVATED first.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  9. kiwig Win User
    Thanks, that would suit me much better. I think I should have all the updates on W8.
    Jimbo, do you have a link for the process from W8?
    Or, is it a paid upgrade?

kiwig, Aug 2, 2015
  10. kiwig Win User
    Hi All
    Here at MS I found what is to me to date the best option for installing W10.
    I'll see how it is going to work over the next few days and report back.

kiwig, Aug 2, 2015
  11. As far as I know you can't upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 10, not via the free upgrade offer. It has to be Windows 7 with sp1 or windows 8.1. From what you posted it looks like you have a Windows 8.0 Core OEM embedded key, and Windows 8.0 Pro is installed. If you go here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media you can download windows 8.1 install media that will install and activate with a windows 8.0 key. If you download the Windows 8.1 ISO, it will read you OEM embedded key automatically, no prompt to enter a key, and activate online automatically. Or you could download the 8.1 pro ISO and install that with your 8.0 Pro key. It will ignore your 8.0 key and prompt for a key to be entered. You could clean install 8.1 and skip the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 altogether. Then go here, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 to do the free upgrade to Windows 10. If you do the Upgrade this PC now option it will install the correct version automatically. 8.1 core gets you 10 home, 8.1 Pro gets you 10 Pro. It's your choice, depending on if you upgrade from 8.1 or 8.1 Pro.

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    That is incorrect. You can upgrade for free from Windows 8 or Windows 7 RTM (without SP1) when using the Media Creation Tool to upgrade, or create Media and upgrade from that. You only need to be on 8.1 and 7 SP1 to upgrade via Windows Update. I wish people would stop repeating this nonsense.

Here's the chart that shows it (again, it's been posted hundreds of times).

Window keys and options, work machine [​IMG]

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Window keys and options, work machine

Nobodies perfect. We all make mistakes.

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  14. kiwig Win User
    Thanks a lot, very much appreciated.
    I assume I can also do a clean install with this download as I assume the install will find the keys?
    This will be fun for a long night this week*Sleepy

kiwig, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    You can do a clean install only after you have upgraded at least once, and you must clean-install the same version you upgraded to. (ie 10 Home, Pro, etc..)

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Window keys and options, work machine - Similar Threads - Window keys options

2. Shortcut Key for viewing options not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut Key for viewing options not working: Shortcut Keys for viewing options like win + 2, win+3, win+6 etc. has stopped working inside file explorer. It has been few days now since they stopped working. At first I thought, shortcut keys for viewing options are not working it is not such a big of a deal but then I...
  3. Shortcut Key for viewing options not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut Key for viewing options not working: Shortcut Keys for viewing options like win + 2, win+3, win+6 etc. has stopped working inside file explorer. It has been few days now since they stopped working. At first I thought, shortcut keys for viewing options are not working it is not such a big of a deal but then I...
  4. Virtual machine looping on options page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual machine looping on options page: The virtual machine stopped working this morning, nothing has changed as far as I'm aware but it now wont boot up and no matter what you select it will loop back to the options page attached...
  5. Virtual machine looping on options page

Virtual machine looping on options page: The virtual machine stopped working this morning, nothing has changed as far as I'm aware but it now wont boot up and no matter what you select it will loop back to the options page attached...
  6. Windows Key+L does not work in order to lock the machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Key+L does not work in order to lock the machine: Windows Key+L does not work in order to lock the machine after upgrading to Windows 11 Have tried modifying the registry , but does not work,Pls HelprgdsDeepankar...
  7. Windows Key+L does not work in order to lock the machine

Windows Key+L does not work in order to lock the machine: Windows Key+L does not work in order to lock the machine after upgrading to Windows 11 Have tried modifying the registry , but does not work,Pls HelprgdsDeepankar...
  8. list of key options for the windows key

in Windows 10 Customization
    list of key options for the windows key: I'd like to have a list of the key option for the Windows key, this key: [ATTACH] For example, press and hold the Windows key then the r key brings up a Run screen. [ATTACH] Thanks....
  9. Options key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Options key: Where is the options key in the print pictures and how to fix it. Thanks [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/options-key/81dc45b2-9e6d-4913-8ad5-c9c29e8fe8d6
  10. Product Key and virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Product Key and virtual machine: I installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox on my Mac. When installing I entered the Product Key that I got when I purchased Windows 10. Now I am planning to use the same key elsewhere. Should I do something before I delete the virtual Windows 10 from VirtualBox? Thank you. 38972