Windows 10: Window old directory in C drive

Discus and support Window old directory in C drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade program from MS, the old windows 7 installation has been moved a folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rinjo, Oct 24, 2015.

1. rinjo Win User

Window old directory in C drive

Hi All,

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade program from MS, the old windows 7 installation has been moved a folder call Windows.old. I am not sure if this is for reverting back to Windows 7 in case Windows 10 installation fails or for some other reason.
    However, this is folder is hogging a very large disk space ( around 36 GB) on my C: drive.
    Is there anyway we can remove this without affecting the current Windows 10 installation? Or it needs to be there to refer to some old data?

Note: After upgrade my Windows 10 installation was not very stable, hence I have done a clean installation of Windows 10 on my system.

regards,

:)

rinjo, Oct 24, 2015
  2. wbb05 Win User

Error: "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore" on Windows 10

I know this thread is old, but for anyone who might have this question, here's the poop:

rstrui.exe /OFFLINE:C:\Windows

[Note: There is a space only after rstrui.exe]

Replace C with the drive letter where Windows installation is located, if different.

The way I always check is type: C: \

Then: dir

If you see the Users and Program File directories listed, it's C.

If not, check D or E drives.

wbb05, Oct 24, 2015
  3. missing files after windows 10 update

I also have missing personal type files from my "Documents" folder. I went to the Windows Old directory on the C Drive and these files are not there. Is there another place I can look? I went through my "trash" and they are not there either.

BonnieKalwat, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

When you did the clean install there was no further need for the Windows.old Folder, that was needed only if you wanted to revert within 30 days of the Upgrade, after the 30 days mine was deleted probably by an update. Don't think a clean install can revert.

Berton, Oct 24, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm confused because if you did a clean install then there won't be a windows.old folder. The windows.old folder holds files from the previous OS upgraded from. The first step of a clean install is to erase the previous OS by either formatting or deleting the partition it was on and then installing the new OS to the empty space - thus there is no previous OS to create the windows.old folder from.

In answer to your question - yes, you can delete the windows.old folder without affecting Windows 10 - but you will find it is very difficult to delete. For starters, I recommend taking ownership of it under the security properties, assign yourself full rights to it, and then boot into safe mode and delete it in safe mode.

NavyLCDR, Oct 24, 2015
  6. seawolf57 Win User
    I had a sequence of installed operating sytesms of Windows 10 Enterprise Edition >>> Linux >>> Windows 10 Pro and again Windows 10 business enterprise edition (in which I will note the free trial reset to 90 days). There were THREE Windows folders on the C Drive, two of which were from old Windows 10 installations. Because I am something of a gambler, I deleted the old ones, saving some 40 or so GB. Any file it had a hassle about I told it to skip deleting but almost all the wasted space was removed.

seawolf57, Oct 24, 2015
  7. rinjo Win User
    You are right, what I meant by a clean install is that I reset my PC from the 'recovery' section in settings that removed the previous installation along with all the applications installed on it.

I will try the steps that you have suggested.

rinjo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Window old directory in C drive - Similar Threads - Window old directory

2. Microsoft Won't Give Up old roaming directory location on C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Won't Give Up old roaming directory location on C drive: So I moved all of my app data folder locations to my secondary drive but for some reason the Microsoft folder doesn't quite get that and won't leave. If I delete them they reappear within seconds and I do a bit funny a bit funny that the directories it refuses to move are...
  3. Microsoft Won't Give Up old roaming directory location on C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Won't Give Up old roaming directory location on C drive: So I moved all of my app data folder locations to my secondary drive but for some reason the Microsoft folder doesn't quite get that and won't leave. If I delete them they reappear within seconds and I do a bit funny a bit funny that the directories it refuses to move are...
  4. C:\Windows\ - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C:\Windows\ - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.: My problems all stemmed from a Windows update two nights ago that caused my entire to install to BSoD with a stop code of "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO". I followed a few different guides, then eventually gave up and began backing up files using a bootable Windows 10 Media on USB....
  5. Can't access files on old C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access files on old C: drive: Recently my old C: drive died on me. Computer randomly restarted during a game then wouldn't boot up. Happened to have a spare SSD and most of my files are stored on other drives so I went ahead and turned that into my new boot drive. I'd been meaning to update to an SSD for...
  6. C:\Users Directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\Users Directory: Good Afternoon, I have a machine that is a member of a domain. The user account logged onto the machine is a user not an administrator. I run a portable program requires no prior installation as an administrator. I enter domain admin credentials. These domain...
  7. C:\users directory?

in Windows 10 Customization
    C:\users directory?: My C:\users directory shows up as C:\Public\US SEAL 7.ico. Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusers-directory/e798521b-7dab-4ae0-89f6-ade14e8fc0e7
  8. About C:\Windows Old

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About C:\Windows Old: This is not about C:\Windows.old But if i try to delete or rename or use Disk Cleanup to remove the folder, it makes Windows Explorer crash and then I have to hard shutdown my PC in order to turn it off, how would I remove this 7.50 GB~ file?...
  9. Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory: Hi In Windows 10, how do I delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory? Thanks Bye 22003
  10. Empty .tmp directories on C: drive and external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty .tmp directories on C: drive and external HDD: I have many empty directories MSxxxx.tmp and _xxxxx_ as shown in the screenshot. I have been deleting them regularly but they reappear within a very short time. What causes them and how can I prevent them? [img] 93347