Windows 10: ??? window over file explorer icon in task bar

Discus and support ??? window over file explorer icon in task bar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a new win10 laptop as in I picked it up yesterday morning.. I've spent the last 36 hours fully updating with latest windows updates. BUT...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BananaFrappe, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ??? window over file explorer icon in task bar

This is a new win10 laptop as in I picked it up yesterday morning.. I've spent the last 36 hours fully updating with latest windows updates. BUT... periodically, File Explorer turns itself on and I cannot close it. Nor can I open the window when I click on it. When I hover my mouse/pointer over it, it looks like this...

??? window over file explorer icon in task bar dcbea3b3-735a-4d23-b97d-3c7fb57b97a1?upload=true.png

I cannot do anything with it. I can't even close it. What is going on and how can I stop it?

:)

BananaFrappe, Aug 17, 2018

2. File Explorer Task Bar icon not working Windows 10

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and all was fine. Two days later I attempted to uninstall an non-compatible program. This hung and was a major failure, leaving me with a semi-functioning Windows 10. I did a system restore to prior to the removal of
    TuneUp Utilities 2011. Now everything seems fine except the File Explorer shortcut in the Task Bar. I can right click on it and get a list of folders and locations, but not properties to change the target. If I right click on it I get the attached message.
    I have tried removing the shortcut and then manually creating a shortcut, first for Explorer.exe, then for File Explorer. Both will work on the desktop, but not if moved to the Task Bar. I would like to have my Task bar icon functional so any suggestions
    would be appreciated.

??? window over file explorer icon in task bar 3c4b50bc-32b4-484d-9ef2-af3fefa02613.jpg

MonikaBehr, Aug 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer not responsive on Task Bar.

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the File Explorer has become unresponsive on the Task Bar. After clicking the File Explorer on the Task Bar the Desktop refreshes but I never get the list of files. The only way I can access my files is to right
    click on the Windows icon at the lower left of the screen, then select File Explorer.

I've tried unpinning the File Explorer from the Task Bar and then re-adding it. This did not solve the problem.

One additional piece of information, I have four accounts on this PC. Two of the accounts have the problem I described above. The other two accounts work correctly.

Thanks for your help.

JamesEastman, Aug 17, 2018
  4. ??? window over file explorer icon in task bar

Task Bar Icons Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

If the icon is hidden from the task bar, you can enable it by using the following steps. The icon might be hidden. Here's how to show the battery icon:

• Right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click
      Properties.
    • Under Notification area, click
      Customize.
    • In Notification Area Icons, click on Select
      which icons appear on Taskbar.
    • On in the drop-down list next to
      Power, and then click OK.
    If the issue still persists you can try Updating the latest Power management driver software for Windows 10 from the manufacturer website.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

??? window over file explorer icon in task bar

1. ??? window over file explorer icon in task bar - Similar Threads - window file explorer

2. Windows Explorer/Task Bar crashing over and over

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer/Task Bar crashing over and over: So, an error I've had for about a week or two. It happens all the time even if nothing is running. The Explorer app crashes, and the task bar goes away and returns a few seconds later along with the night light setting turning off and on along with it. Not sure how to fix...
  3. Windows Explorer/Task Bar crashing over and over

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer/Task Bar crashing over and over: So, an error I've had for about a week or two. It happens all the time even if nothing is running. The Explorer app crashes, and the task bar goes away and returns a few seconds later along with the night light setting turning off and on along with it. Not sure how to fix...
  4. Windows Explorer/Task Bar crashing over and over

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Help with file explorer as a task bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with file explorer as a task bar: In older Windows versions than Windows 10, I used to set up a floating taskbar for all the folders, and it was either hidden or present on all monitors and locked to the left side. I was able to get directly to my files and folders and it was clean and clear, didn't require...
  6. File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive

File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive: Whenever a second user logs in on my machine, they do not have access to FIle Explorer and the Task Bar is unresponsive. I am able to fix the issue by forcing the other account to sign off in the User portion of the Task Manager. If the initial account then logs back in, it...
  7. Task Bar Icons

Task Bar Icons: Why are certain taskbar icons grayed out, and how can I make them reappear? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-icons/9791345e-32f4-4714-bb2a-fac027ff537d
  8. File explorer and Task bar search windows

in Cortana
    File explorer and Task bar search windows: Why can't I type into the file explorer and the task bar search windows? There is no cursor when trying to click in either window. It is some what recent, worked several week ago pretty sure. I was working with using the file search function out of a 3rd party manual. Glen...
  9. TASK BAR ICONS

TASK BAR ICONS: SOMEHOW ANOTHER THE TASK BAR ICONS HAVE MOVED ON ME ALSO THE TIMEHAS DISSAPPEARED .. THEY ARE ALL TOGETHER INSTEAD OF SPACED OUT.. I MIGHT HAVE CLIKED ON SOMETHING BUT DONT THINK I DID.. HOW TO MOVE THEM BACKTO DEFAULT POSTION TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT CONCER?? PLZ HELP, THANKS...
  10. task bar icons

task bar icons: The battery indicator (icon) of my task bar disappears time to time.The solutions that are provided by Micro Soft at the first stage do not work. Please help me to overcome this problem....