Windows 10: Window Remote Desktop Sleep Issue

Discus and support Window Remote Desktop Sleep Issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have to log into a remote Windows 10 "server" it's just a Dell Windows computer to run Quickbooks for an organization I am in. I am also the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by omero99, Nov 17, 2020.

1. omero99 Win User

Window Remote Desktop Sleep Issue

I have to log into a remote Windows 10 "server" it's just a Dell Windows computer to run Quickbooks for an organization I am in. I am also the administrator for this server.

Recently I set up the ability to use sleep mode with the server - it only gets used by two people for about ten hours a week. The ability to sleep is working well and we are using the Wake On LAN - Magic Packet application to wake the server. This works perfectly.

My issue is that the remote computer, the server, is set to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. However, when you log in using remote desktop, you only have about five minutes of inactivity before the server goes to sleep. When this happens, it freezes the remote desktop connection and you have to log in again, including initiating the wake up using Wake on LAN. This works and you do get back to your work, but I don't understand why the computer is going to sleep after five minutes when the power plan is set for 30 minutes.

I found a post in this forum discussing the timeout options for host side remote desktop connections. I looked at these and all of the times were disabled. I don't think this is a remote desktop timeout issue anyway as the computer is sleeping when you try to log back in. If it were a remote desktop timeout, I would expect that the computer would not be sleeping, just disconnected.

How do I make the computer follow the power plan when it is in a remote desktop session and wait 30 minutes before sleeping?

:)

omero99, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Remote Desktop - Remote Computer is Sleeping

Got a question that I could answer if I was at the office to try it... Trying to connect remotely to an HP desktop at work.

If the HP is in sleep mode, I can't remote into it. Here's the scenario: Couldn't remote into the HP... Called a co-worker he noticed is was in power saving mode & moved the mouse, it woke up. Then I was able to remote in.

Would "Wake on Lan" in BIOS allow me to wake up the computer through a remote desktop login request? Are there other settings?

EDIT: Both PC's on XP Pro 32

Sasqui, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Window Remote Desktop Sleep Issue

remote desktop

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the below details to understand your issue in a better way:

1. Are you using the Microsoft remote desktop app?

If you are using the Microsoft remote desktop app downloaded from
    Microsoft store then, I suggest you to follow the steps to
    fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

If the issue still persists with the Microsoft remote desktop app, then you can contact the support team by going to the

link
    and scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on
    Microsoft remote desktop support under the Publisher info.

However, if you are using the Remote desktop connection, which comes pre-installed with Windows 10, then I suggest you to please post your question in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Window Remote Desktop Sleep Issue

1. Window Remote Desktop Sleep Issue - Similar Threads - Window Remote Desktop

2. Issue with remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with remote desktop: I am using an iPhone 8 and is trying to reach my computer at home from like someplace far away. I tried all sorts of ways but still having issues, it just says error 0x300005c on my phone....
  3. Issue with remote desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with remote desktop: I am using an iPhone 8 and is trying to reach my computer at home from like someplace far away. I tried all sorts of ways but still having issues, it just says error 0x300005c on my phone....
  4. Remote Desktop issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop issues: Hello all, I am at my wits end with this one after trying to get this all working over the past few days. I have a newer LGTV which has Remote Desktop functionality built in. I had it working with my Windows 10 PC within minutes, simply entering the PC’s IP and my user info.I...
  5. Remote Desktop issues

Remote Desktop issues: Hello all, I am at my wits end with this one after trying to get this all working over the past few days. I have a newer LGTV which has Remote Desktop functionality built in. I had it working with my Windows 10 PC within minutes, simply entering the PC’s IP and my user info.I...
  6. Remote desktop issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop issue: Hello, I have a window 10 OS, I am facing an issue with the remote desktop. It lags a lot and hangs. Have to disconnect and connect again to join. Very poor performance. Please help for a solution...
  7. Remote desktop issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop issue: Hello, I have a window 10 OS, I am facing an issue with the remote desktop. It lags a lot and hangs. Have to disconnect and connect again to join. Very poor performance. Please help for a solution...
  8. Remote desktop issue

9. Remote desktop and sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote desktop and sleep.: Finally, after an upgrade to 1903, my laptop knows how to go to sleep on its own! The effect this could have on worldwide carbon emissions could be phenomenal given the number of Windows machines in the world. However, at work, I use my laptop from my desktop via Remote...
  10. Windows Remote Desktop Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Remote Desktop Issue: I seem to be having a issue with Windows firewall. I have narrowed it down to Windows firewall being the culprit, because if I disable it I'm able to make a successful connection but as soon as I turn it on I am unable to do so. I have searched the issue on the Internet and...