Windows 10: Window starts then hangs at black screen

Discus and support Window starts then hangs at black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On another window system. The window starts, but it hangs after the window logo with the little dots swirling in a circle. Then it boots to a black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by goldenstar, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Window starts then hangs at black screen

On another window system. The window starts, but it hangs after the window logo with the little dots swirling in a circle. Then it boots to a black screen and just stops. No error code, nothing at all.

I already tried to fix startup repair, sfc /scannow and dism. sfc /scannow says nothing is wrong.

Please help!!!

:)

goldenstar, Sep 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 Starts then Black Screen

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We apologize for the inconvenience and help you sort out the issue.

The causes of black Screen is mostly due to faulty driver, output to unexpected port, and possibly also issues with the Lock Screen app.

If you see the black screen only after sign-in
    and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
      • If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps given below:

• If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing "<password>" to something of the customer’s choosing):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add
      • This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen before sign-in:

• Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:
      • To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
    • Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.
      • Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)

• If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing "<password>" to something of the customer’s choosing):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add
      • This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen before sign-in:

• Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:
      • To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
    • Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.
      • Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    Note: Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Sep 16, 2017
  3. PamBMiami Win User
    Windows 10 Starts then Black Screen

Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 on my HP. Computer boots up and I see my desktop but within 15 seconds, it goes to a blank screen (sometimes it flashes first). During the 15 seconds it is on, I can click on a program in the task bar, such as Chrome, and it
    opens and functions. But task bar and everything behind the window is black.

I'm not sure this is the same issue as the others who have a black screen and it is the 'project to another screen' setting that is causing the issue because mine does boot and I do see my desktop albeit for a very short period of time.

Help - I need my computer!!

Thanks!

PamBMiami, Sep 16, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Window starts then hangs at black screen

Do you have any USB devices connected - this includes wireless mouse &/or keyboard? If so remove them to see if boot continues.
    Can you access task manager? Do you have nVidia graphics? If you have nVidia graphics try uninstalling the drivers & see if you can reach the desktop.

Bastet, Sep 16, 2017
  5. No nvidia, just AMD Radeon.

Tried removing usb and it did not work.

Sigh. I think it time for a total reinstall of windows *Sad.

goldenstar, Sep 18, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Missing (damaged) some driver, can you BOOT to safe BOOT ?

CountMike, Sep 18, 2017
  7. Safe Boot by using USB window 8 software did not work.

goldenstar, Sep 24, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Huh ? "Safe Boot by using USB window 8 software" why did you use W8 ? Just hold Shift while restarting and you'll get into safe mode.

CountMike, Sep 24, 2017
  9. Holding shift does not work.

I was trying to use a boot disk to launch windows recovery. From there, select the option for safe mode. However, it looks like the option is missing.

If i use a window Preinstalled environment is there a way to tell the computer to launch into safe mode?

goldenstar, Sep 25, 2017
  10. My fathers HP Laptop does that, only his will actually boot up if you wait long enough. His finally loads the logon screen after a bout 2 minutes. His only does this with Windows 10. With Windows 8.1, there is about a 5 second paus at that point. What I see is a blank screen with only the display backlight on. It's kind of grey. I never figured out what caused it. I suspect its a video driver issue as I think that's where it switches from the basic driver AMD APU to the Dedicated AMD GPU. He was in a hurry to get it back so I didn't have a whole lot of time to sort it out.

alphanumeric, Sep 25, 2017
  11. Mine doesn't go even after 1 minutes. It just a blank screen.

So is there a setting i can set in windows Pre-installed environment to boot into safe mode?

goldenstar, Sep 26, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    When using a bootable windows 10 iso there are no startup options, just startup repair.
    The startup options are where the safe mode options are located.
    To get to the startup options you would need to be able to open the windows advanced troubleshooting options on the computer.

There are multiple methods to open safe mode for the next boot:

1) adminstrative command prompt type: shutdown /r /o /f /t 00
    2) holding the shift key and clicking the windows icon > power > restart
    3) msconfig > boot > safe boot (multiple options)

If you can open the computer's windows advanced troubleshooting menu > click on startup settngs > restart > for safe mode choose any of these options with the corresponding #
    #4 safe mode
    #5 safe mode with networking
    #6 safe mode with command prompt

See this link for additional options:
    Installation Upgrade Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Please update the system specs in "My Computer"

How To Fill Out Your System Specs Windows 10 Forums the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please include information on PSU, cooler, case, peripherals, and anything attached to the computer by wireless or wired (mouse, keyboard, joystick, printer, headset, xbox, etc.)

Also post the Windows version and build.

zbook, Sep 26, 2017
  13. Window starts then hangs at black screen

Windows 10. Non of the commands works since i CANNOT boot to window even. Time to reinstall window. Thx for the help

goldenstar, Sep 26, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    If you boot from a Win 10 install disk and boot from it you can get to options like System Restore.

You also have the option of restoring a backup copy of your registry.

The way to give yourself a second chance and to recover even if your system disk fails, say, is to routinely use disk imaging as we so often recommend. Even if your PC becomes unbootable you can then restore an image from your disk image set and be up and running perhaps in under an hour without technical help.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for your disk image sets - which also act as backups for your files.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Window starts then hangs at black screen - Similar Threads - Window starts hangs

2. Random Black Screens/Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Black Screens/Hangs: HelloThe past few days my PC have been getting random black screens/ hangs forcing me to force restart my pc. It does not give any error message at all so I'm at a loss. This happens randomly when i'm idling on desktop or after closing an application.I have tried some cmd...
  3. Random Black Screens/Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Black Screens/Hangs: HelloThe past few days my PC have been getting random black screens/ hangs forcing me to force restart my pc. It does not give any error message at all so I'm at a loss. This happens randomly when i'm idling on desktop or after closing an application.I have tried some cmd...
  4. Random Black Screens/Hangs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Scheduled windows updates hang on black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scheduled windows updates hang on black screen: I've searched around a bit for this issue and I haven't found anything, so here we are.My system wants to restart my computer whenever it gets an update, so I tell it to do it outside of active hours and it doesn't bother me and gets the updates done. Or at least it's...
  6. System hangs on start up, shows black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System hangs on start up, shows black screen: Hello,My laptop is not starting properly. I can see a black screen only. The keyboard also is not working. I need to press the start button for few seconds to force shut down the system. If I start it again after that the system works fine. No issue during the running of the...
  7. windows crash, freeze or hang on black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows crash, freeze or hang on black screen: Hi, i have acer e1-572g under and i installed windows 10 x64, once the windows start updating the issue start with the updatemicro chip driver display The laptop contian amd r7 m265 display card and the windows is not installing the correct driver. and when i do it...
  8. Black screen of DOOM - Store Hang HELP!

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Black screen of DOOM - Store Hang HELP!: Soo... today I updated windows to Build 1809 and as usual after the update is completed, I was about to sign in for the first time. I signed in and I was supposed to be greeted by some personalize setting stuff.. but instead BEHOLD the black screen of doom. My screen flashed...
  9. Windows 10 hangs in a black screen almost every starts.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs in a black screen almost every starts.: After installed windows 10 in my machine, almost every time i start than, before the Welcome Screen my windows hangs in a black screen for 20-30 seconds, with the CPU and SSD doing nothing. This happens most when I start the PC, when I just restart this problem happens less....
  10. Windows 10 hanging, showing black screen after login on Start-up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hanging, showing black screen after login on Start-up: Hi, Please can anyone help, not long purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition pre-installed. Going well until recently has started to hang, on the e-mail log-in and password page - got another Outlook user to try too; basically the same. I, get the black...