Windows 10: Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode

Discus and support Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My mother has been using her windows 10 PC for a long time with everything normal. Recently to speed up the OS reboot, I helped to change Startup... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by ss_22, Dec 30, 2019.

1. ss_22 Win User

Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode

My mother has been using her windows 10 PC for a long time with everything normal. Recently to speed up the OS reboot, I helped to change Startup options disable unnecessary apps at startup and also changed the Boot-up option to “Safe boot” mode, like the following:

Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode 5ad6b528-f1d2-436f-9c1b-8fccfef009ec?upload=true.png

Somehow after these changes, we could not login to windows 10 anymore with correct password confirmed the password is correct with the eye icon at the right side of the login block. I also tried different input language options, but all failed. Another abnormality is the internet connection at the login page – no internet connection and no way to choose internet setting although the WIFI at my home is normal. I also tried to plug in internet wire cable directly to the laptop, still no internet connection. The login page is like the following:

Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode 49dce4a6-f7ab-42bc-8700-19684d839b65?upload=true.jpg

The password my mother has been using to login to windows 10 is the same as her Microsoft account PS. I tried the same PS on her Microsoft account, and indeed it works normal. Now my suspicion is 1 the “safe boot” mode prevents internet connection at the login page, 2 internet connection is a must for login to windows 10 with Microsoft account. Is this true? If so, how could I fix the issue? Could anybody please help?

It is urgent since I have to fix the issue before she leaves US in a couple of days. Appreciate your help.

PS. I tried to login with safe mode, but it still asks for password which I failed to move further.

:)

ss_22, Dec 30, 2019

2. Window 10 unable to login with normal and safe mode with correct password

Hi Team,

Today i stuck to login on windows 10 with correct password, i follow same on safe mode but it does not work.

I tried with safe mode with Network but no luck.. Below steps i followed for safe mode...

Troubleshoot> Advanced Options> Startup Settings> Restart>Safe Mode with Networking.O

Here i re-enter the password and it doesn't work.

Please suggest...

RohitPanchalPanchal, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode

Question about password in Safe Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you not able to login into the PC or the Microsoft Account using a browser?
    • Did you check in Safe mode with Networking?

The On-screen keyboard is located in the Ease of access center located at the bottom left corner of the lock screen. It acts as a temporary keyboard in-case your keyboard does not work.

Check if you are able to login by typing the password using on-screen keyboard by following the steps below:

• Click on the Ease of access icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen.
    • Select on-screen keyboard option and type the password.

After entering the password and before pressing Enter,
    click on the icon adjacent to where you typed the password and check if you have entered the right password.

Method 1: Boot your PC in Safe mode with networking
    by following the steps from the link below and check if you are facing similar issue.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

To exit from Safe mode follow the steps below:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box.
    • Under Boot tab uncheck the Safe boot
      option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Method 2: If you are unable to login and is using Microsoft account to enter the user profile, I suggest you to use another PC to reset the password from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode

1. Window10 cannot login with correct password after changing Boot to "Safe boot" mode - Similar Threads - Window10 cannot login

2. Booted in safe mode and cant login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booted in safe mode and cant login: I selected safe mode with registry? Or something of the sort and now i cant login, and i cant bring up the cmnd prompt or my account. I used system. Restore but it did not change anything...
  3. Booted in safe mode and cant login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booted in safe mode and cant login: I selected safe mode with registry? Or something of the sort and now i cant login, and i cant bring up the cmnd prompt or my account. I used system. Restore but it did not change anything...
  4. Computer password not working after booting into safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer password not working after booting into safe mode: I did the msconfig thing to go on safe mode and then my computer restarted. After it restarted it asked for a password I always used a pin instead of a password. Every rime I try entering my pin it doesn't work someone please help I have a lot of assignments I have to submit...
  5. Password not recognized booting in safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password not recognized booting in safe mode: Cannot boot in safe mode because password is not recognized. Changed 3 times and am able to log on a diff. computer. Have been at it for close to 7 hrs and no results. Can't get administrator command prompt. Have initiated safe mode with networking but password not...
  6. Cannot access safe mode with correct password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot access safe mode with correct password: I am trying to reboot my computer Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10 in safe mode to attempt to fix a separateissue caused by a forced OS update. However, when I finally get to the safe mode login screen a pain because I have to enter my 48-digit Bitlocker recovery key to even...
  7. Cannot boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into safe mode: Hello. When I turn my computer on, it tells me it has run into a problem and needs to restart. It gives me this error code: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO it then restarts and attempts to self-repair and invariably fails. I have tried all methods of booting into safe mode available...
  8. Cannot boot into safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into safe mode.: My computer starts up normally but when i try to boot into safe mode i get a black screen. No idea whats going on. I tried plugging hdmi cable directly into motherboard and it made no difference....
  9. Booted into safe mode, and forgot password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booted into safe mode, and forgot password: I am a total dumbass. Somehow i forgot my ms password, and i booted into windows safe mode on MINIMAL. Am i fucked, or is there something i can do? Does ethernet work to change passwords? I know my older password, i shift clicked restart, went to cmd, and put my older...
  10. No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.: Am helping a friend set her PC back up after it has been stored (everything unplugged) for about 9 months. When we first went to turn it on the fans kicked in and it would appear to start booting up but then turn itself off again after about 10 or so seconds of activity. It...