Windows 10: WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows

Discus and support WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; WindowGrid is a free program for Microsoft Windows devices that improves how you move, resize, and align windows on Windows devices. Modern versions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 29, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows

WindowGrid is a free program for Microsoft Windows devices that improves how you move, resize, and align windows on Windows devices.

Modern versions of the Windows operating system come with some options in that regard. You may use drag and drop to align windows to the side or make them fullscreen, use the keyboard for that instead, or use the window aligning options when you right-click on the taskbar. WindowGrid takes those concepts and improves them further.

WindowGrid

WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows window-grid.png

You can run WindowGrid without installation or install the application if you prefer to do so. It requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. The application adds an icon to the System Tray area that indicates that it is active.

WindowGrid places an invisible grid on the desktop that it uses to improve window operations. The default grid size is 12x6 but you may change it and other options in the settings.

The entire operation requires just the mouse. Here is how it works:

1. Start with a basic left-click mouse drag operation to move a window
    2. Right-click while holding down the left mouse button to display the grid.
    3. Move the window to the desired location and release the right mouse button. The window snaps to the grid automatically.
    4. Use the cursor to resize the window while holding the left mouse button.
    5. Release the left mouse button.

Repeat the process for any other window that you may want to align on the desktop.

Customization options

WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows windowgrid-settings.png

Right-click on the extension icon and select settings to open the program options. There you find options to change the default grid size, e.g. to increase or decrease the number of cells used to place program windows, and to change the default key bindings.

While you can use WindowGrid with the mouse, you may also use it using the keyboard instead instead of using mouse buttons. The default keys are Space for Resize and Left-Ctrl for Move but you may add additional keys or mouse buttons to the bindings or change existing ones.

You find additional options in the settings such as changing updating behavior, showing window contents while dragging windows, or changing blur and opacity during the operation.

Closing Words

WindowGrid is a useful productivity tool for Windows that improves how you resize, move, and align windows on the system. The program is not the first of its kind: we reviewed programs like Gridy, TicClick, WinLayout, or GridMove in the past that offer similar functionality. Most of these are not in active development anymore, however.

The developer of WindowGrid plans to add options to save window locations in a future update which would improve the app further.

The only downside is that it uses quite a bit of memory as a .NET Framework application (used about 72 Megabytes in two processes on a Windows 10 Pro test system).

Now You: Which small tools do you use to improve your productivity?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 29, 2019
  2. John Vil Win User

moving and resizing

Hi Bob,

There may be several reasons why you are unable to resize or move applications after installing an update. To better assist you with your concern, we would like you to answer the questions below:

• Does it happen only on one application?
    • Which application are you having issues resizing or moving?

In the meantime, we suggest you to run the Windows 10 troubleshooter. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter
    Let us know how it goes.

John Vil, May 29, 2019
  3. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, May 29, 2019
  4. WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 29, 2019
Thema:

WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows

1. WindowGrid: improve window moving, resizing, and aligning on Windows - Similar Threads - WindowGrid improve window

2. Windows 11:Can't move or resize windows/applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11:Can't move or resize windows/applications: I updated windows not too long ago and now my application windows don't want to move or resize. It's pretty annoying. All I can do is make the application full screen and minimize it. I can right click it and select move and then move the application with my arrow keys but...
  3. Unable to move or resize window and no highlighting capability

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to move or resize window and no highlighting capability: I can no longer move open windows from one monitor to another or resize them. In addition, my curser will no longer highlight text to copy. I'm running Windows 64 bit, version 21H2 OS Build 19044, 1766. My computer recently did an automatic update....
  4. Unable to move or resize window and no highlighting capability

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to move or resize window and no highlighting capability: I can no longer move open windows from one monitor to another or resize them. In addition, my curser will no longer highlight text to copy. I'm running Windows 64 bit, version 21H2 OS Build 19044, 1766. My computer recently did an automatic update....
  5. Windows Automatically Moving and Resizing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Automatically Moving and Resizing: Hello,Occasionally, when I wake my laptop up from Sleep Mode, windows will randomly resize and move through out the screen. Please see the attached picture for an example. Before I put my laptop on Sleep Mode, all three Sticky Notes were the same size as "Note A" and "Note...
  6. DisplayPort Monitors and Windows Resizing/Moving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DisplayPort Monitors and Windows Resizing/Moving: I built a new setup using a 38" LG ultrawide and a 27" LG in portrait both connected with DisplayPort to a RTX 3070 FE. Every time the monitors turn off or the PC goes into sleep, when waking my windows resize and move monitors. I've tried every "fix" I can find online and...
  7. Windows are resized and moved after waking PC.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows are resized and moved after waking PC.: Problem: Windows 10 windows resized and moved after waking from sleep/monitor power save mode. I build this PC last week and even after updating everything and problem remained. So in the tradition of Mac Manager LISTSERV (RIP) of posting a "SUMMERY" of solution found for...
  8. Resized and moved windows after sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Resized and moved windows after sleep or shutdown: New desktop computer, so had to go with Windows 10 Professional, upgraded from Win 7 Pro, and I hate 10 more every day. Every time the computer goes to sleep or is shut down, my windows are all re-sized and moved to the top left corner of the screen. This is indescribably...
  9. Need to stop application windows moving and resizing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need to stop application windows moving and resizing: Im running 3 monitors. When windows goes to sleep and wakes all the open applications are moved between displays and resized. I've google'd and found some topics but, with no resolution. I'd like to be able to pin/stick an application to a display. One monitor is just a 7"...
  10. Window Alignment

in Windows 10 Support
    Window Alignment: Why do windows now have a gap between them? I find this with lots of programs and is a pain when organising my desktop. In Windows 8 there would be no gap between these 2 windows in my example below. Is this a bug or is this part of Windows 10 design? [img] 15263