Windows 10: Windows 10: 0x80073CF6 error, Security Hardened machine / hardened User Profile folder [solved]

Discus and support Windows 10: 0x80073CF6 error, Security Hardened machine / hardened User Profile folder [solved] in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I've seen a lot of similar threads with recommendations to try repairs to the windows store and windows update, but since none of the other threads... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by CSUDave, Jun 5, 2019.

1. CSUDave Win User

Windows 10: 0x80073CF6 error, Security Hardened machine / hardened User Profile folder [solved]

I've seen a lot of similar threads with recommendations to try repairs to the windows store and windows update, but since none of the other threads solved my problem I thought I would post this in case it helps anyone else.

We were experiencing a problem installing some Microsoft Store apps but not all apps. Anything which was being installed into the users appdata folder set was failing (at the time though we weren't aware this was the problem). The user couldn't install WSL distros, specifically Canonical Ubuntu.

At first we thought it was because we purged the pre-installed Microsoft Store apps (search decrapifier 1809) but that wasn't it. We were able to install Uno, and Candy Crush so it didn't make sense that we couldn't install some other apps.

Problem was on this machine the user handles sensitive L1 p.i.i. for thousands of employees so the machine is hardened via changes to local security policy (allow local logon, .. through remote desktop.., access via network, bypass traverse checking, increase process working set, etc) and ACL permissions (remove inheritance / restrict). We had permissions for the users profile restricted to only the user, owner was the user to protect their desktop, documents, other profile folders.

We re-imaged and re-hardened the machine and it copped up again.

For some apps to install we had to grant SYSTEM full control to the Packages folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages) and for some to run after installing we had to grant SYSTEM read/execute to the entire AppData folder structure, simple traverse to Packages and was insufficient, I'm guessing so it could read other information from %TEMP%, AppCache and other locations.

Hopefully this helps someone else who runs into this error and has run the gamut of all the other solutions out there:

* #1 MS fix restart computer

* Check date and time.

* Make sure an account is logged in to the Microsoft Store

* Clean Windows store cache (wsreset)
    * Test from another profile (this was successful for us indicating problem was localized to the user and not because we cleaned up pre-installed apps)
    * Uninstall third party security programs (antivirus/antimalware) {personally I don't recommend}.
    * Run troubleshooter (http://aka.ms/diag_apps10)

* sfc

* Reset all store apps and re-register (only as a last resort, and I would only recommend if the problem isn't localized to a single user profile)

* #2 MS solution Format C: /startover

Good write up which covers most everything (use at your own risk): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-shortly/5c49a28c-c000-4fe0-bee6-bbc65bb0c113

But that still didn't work for me, I had to bring back procmon, filemon and regmon from the grave to find the problem was the permissions on the user's appdata folder.

This probably won't help a lot of people, but I spent a few hours at it and wanted to share to potentially save someone else the effort.

:)

CSUDave, Jun 5, 2019
  2. ozzyrocks Win User

Windows 10 Pro Update Error after hardening

Hi,

I have a new installation of Windows 10 Pro and after a few days of use, I am getting this error on Windows Update:

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070426)"

The background is as follows:

I have a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. It came with Windows 10 Home, and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro because I need to use it for business and need the extra encryption and other features that Home does not provide. I have implemented security hardening on
    the Windows 10 Pro installation following the process documented here: http://hardenwindows10forsecurity.com/

After completion of the hardening steps (first time round), the above error appeared. I assumed that it was due to my hardening steps, so I tried all sorts of fixes and tweaks to repair it, until I finally restored back to a previous restore point from 2
    days earlier. After the restore, the windows updates were functioning. I then repeated the hardening steps, while testing Windows Update after each major step in the process. Windows Update continued to work fine through the hardening and even worked fine
    after I completed the hardening (the second time). This was yesterday evening when I ended work for the day. Now, this morning (the next day), when I started up my Windows 10 Pro, it is giving the above error once again under Windows Update.

I am not sure whether this is an issue caused by the hardening, or just a temporary issue that will resolve itself. Can somebody please assist and shed some light on the situation.

ozzyrocks, Jun 5, 2019
  3. Hardening Guide

I looked around a bit, and cannot seem to find any guide to harden Windows 10. All I'm looking for is a generic Microsoft hardening guide, I'm really just assuming that one exists at this point. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

AndrewEdenbo, Jun 5, 2019
  4. Windows 10: 0x80073CF6 error, Security Hardened machine / hardened User Profile folder [solved]

system hardening i windows 10 latest update

system hardening in latest update for win 10 is it effective?

johnbrownc., Jun 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: 0x80073CF6 error, Security Hardened machine / hardened User Profile folder [solved]

1. Windows 10: 0x80073CF6 error, Security Hardened machine / hardened User Profile folder [solved] - Similar Threads - 0x80073CF6 error Security

2. Hardening windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardening windows 10: So I've finally decided I've had enough of Windows 11 and want to roll back to windows 10. But seeing as Windows 10 is no longer supported that means that it will be more vulnerable to security issues. I'm wondering if there's any decent way to harden windows 10 to make up...
  3. Hardening windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardening windows 10: So I've finally decided I've had enough of Windows 11 and want to roll back to windows 10. But seeing as Windows 10 is no longer supported that means that it will be more vulnerable to security issues. I'm wondering if there's any decent way to harden windows 10 to make up...
  4. DCOM security hardening changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM security hardening changes: Hi,Looking at the recently adjusted Microsoft KB article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5004442-manage-changes-for-windows-dcom-server-security-feature-bypass-cve-2021-26414-f1400b52-c141-43d2-941e-37ed901c769c DCOM client-side patch on November 8, 2022, it...
  5. DCOM security hardening changes

DCOM security hardening changes: Hi,Looking at the recently adjusted Microsoft KB article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5004442-manage-changes-for-windows-dcom-server-security-feature-bypass-cve-2021-26414-f1400b52-c141-43d2-941e-37ed901c769c DCOM client-side patch on November 8, 2022, it...
  6. DCOM security hardening changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. windows 10 hardening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 hardening: Hi Microsoft,I am wondering if I can harden windows 10 through Active Directory.If yes, how can I do it, and what are the best points to harden the system?Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-hardening/11d1a67c-b57b-4cf3-aa63-7e612d6d1840
  8. windows 10 hardening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 hardening: Hi Microsoft,I am wondering if I can harden windows 10 through Active Directory.If yes, how can I do it, and what are the best points to harden the system?Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-hardening/11d1a67c-b57b-4cf3-aa63-7e612d6d1840
  9. windows 10 hardening

10. Security hardening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security hardening: Good day community, I wanna your kind assistance about security hardening. My goal is like that: 1. to encrypt all (hole) drive C and D. 2. install VM ware 16 and use it for other jobs. or for personal purposes. 3. on main OS want to use Tor browser. chrome and Mozila got...