Windows 10: Windows 10 100% Disk Activity; Little I/O but in a Pattern

Discus and support Windows 10 100% Disk Activity; Little I/O but in a Pattern in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently completed a difficult reinstall of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 8700. I got over the final hurtle by completely disabling any RAID so that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DS256, Apr 1, 2020.

1. DS256 Win User

Windows 10 100% Disk Activity; Little I/O but in a Pattern

I recently completed a difficult reinstall of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 8700. I got over the final hurtle by completely disabling any RAID so that the SSD and HDD were separate devices. I also loaded the latest Intel Drivers during the install.

The system has been stable except for a problem that occurs every 20 minutes or so. I can't paste a picture of the Task Manager to illustrate but will describe it. My HDD, which has the OS loaded, jumps to 100% activity with no I/O except for every 14 seconds. Then there is a short burst period of read/write in a perfect pyramind. Never registers more than 100 KB/s. However, the average response time jump to 10's of thousands of seconds.

During this period, all running applications show to a crawl. Web browsers work until they've appeared to run out of cached data. Email goes into 'Not Responding' when trying to open a new email.

Looking at the Resource Monitor, there are a lot disk activity where the response time is in the 10's of thousands of seconds.

Using the Resource Manager CPU and DISK I've tried to find a pattern, file, process that could be culprit. So far nothing.

I've searched the web and attempted some fixes. My pagefile is on the SSD but there is little activity. I have 16GB of memory and rarely get over 12GB of use.

The behavior is like there is a process/function that wakes up, issues a blocking synchronous I/O, and every 13 seconds performs some reads and writes. It's the static behavior of the duration and the 13 second I/O pattern which leads me to believe it is driver/software issue.

Everything is up to date. The disks are managed under Intel's Rapid Storage Technology that is installed on the XPS 8700. It is designed to support RAID but as mentioned, I've completed disabled that.

Any suggestions well.

Thanks

:)

DS256, Apr 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

Details tab.
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Windows 10 100% Disk Activity; Little I/O but in a Pattern

100% disc activity issue

Hi Deep,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From description I understand that you are unable to work with your computer as expected. We will help you to resolve the issue.

These issues might occur due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

1. Which software are you using to monitor the hard disk activity?

2. Do you get any error message on the computer?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps:

•Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.

•Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.

Details
      tab.

OK.

Also, I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by Arpan Kashyap from the following link.

Windows 8 keeps slows down to 100% disk usage and hangs.

Reference: Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Also, Free up drive space
    in Windows 10

Deepika Gowda, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 100% Disk Activity; Little I/O but in a Pattern

1. Windows 10 100% Disk Activity; Little I/O but in a Pattern - Similar Threads - 100% Disk Activity

2. 100% disk Utilization even nothing is running and pattern repeating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk Utilization even nothing is running and pattern repeating: My system has 2 HDD 160GB and 500GB and i am facing issue of 100% disk utilization even though nothing is running and this utilization is repeating in a pattern, like it remains in 100% usage with 0 - response ms, 0 -read speed, 0 -write speed for some 2-4 min and then back...
  3. 100% disk Utilization even nothing is running and pattern repeating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk Utilization even nothing is running and pattern repeating: My system has 2 HDD 160GB and 500GB and i am facing issue of 100% disk utilization even though nothing is running and this utilization is repeating in a pattern, like it remains in 100% usage with 0 - response ms, 0 -read speed, 0 -write speed for some 2-4 min and then back...
  4. 100% disk Utilization even nothing is running and pattern repeating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro

High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro: I experience 100% Disk Activity in Task Manager / Resource Monitor even if there are only a few 0.1 MB/s processes. Where are those processes causing all this activity?The system is running on a powerful iMac from 2020 using latest Parallels Desktop 16 virtual machine VM with...
  6. Windows 10: 1 disk at 100% activity... Though nothing's running on disk.

Windows 10: 1 disk at 100% activity... Though nothing's running on disk.: This has happened to be since maybe 2 days ago: at first I disregarded it as some updates or whatnot but since it has persisted and I've no clue why it's like this: A 7 second snippet of fluctuating activity An image from Task manager. I should also mention the disk in...
  7. disk at 100% activity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk at 100% activity: Why is my Disk at 100% Activity all the time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-at-100-activity/ca247932-95a2-4244-8734-f717004e49a8
  8. O&o defrag not disk activity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O&o defrag not disk activity: Had anybody run into issues with using zoning/complete, where it stop defraging. Like it stalls and no disk activity for hours. Or goes to a craw. Newest version. Ran chkdsk /f Sfc scannow Ran dism repair All came back clean I just wondering it does it because it's a...
  9. 100% disk i/o usage by windows 10 backup service

100% disk i/o usage by windows 10 backup service: On a frequent basis, for some time now, I have had my computers grind to a halt when disk i/o pegs out a 100%. Today, I think I found out the cause. The backup service shows 100% on drive C and then nearly 100% on drive D. When I shut down the backup process, the system i/o...
  10. Disk utilization (I/O) routinely at 100 % in windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk utilization (I/O) routinely at 100 % in windows 10: It seems recently that my Hard drive utilization consistently stays between 90% and 100%. I have shut down as much back ground services as I can find and stopped as many sartup services as I could see that weren't directly OS related. However disk utilization sits very high...