Windows 10: Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager

Discus and support Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, i have dell inspiron 15 , 5000 series , OS is windows 10 64 bit. Recently i had a problem at the laptop: Disk utilization is quite constant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by odedidush, Jan 19, 2018.

1. odedidush Win User

Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager

Hi,
    i have dell inspiron 15 , 5000 series , OS is windows 10 64 bit.

Recently i had a problem at the laptop:
    Disk utilization is quite constant at 100% even though no program runs parallel and there is no traffic between the hard disk and the external device.
    I searched in Google for solutions and found this issue quite common in Windows 10. I tried all the options from the solutions offered in the links but without any success :
    1. Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [SOLVED] - Driver Easy
    2. How to Fix: 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10 Task Manager

I also tried to run a disk repair on Windows 10 and even "Reset to default" of the windows which means getting clean operating system - deleting all the files that I had and that did not help either.
    Still after booting the computer and during work the disk utilization is 100% fand the computer is very very slow.
    Do you have a solution?
    Is the hard disk malformed and is this what causes windows to show 100% disk utilization ?

Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [​IMG]

:)

odedidush, Jan 19, 2018
  2. SeanTobin Win User

System freezes and shows 100% disk usage on Windows 10.

My computer freezes and my task manager shows 100% disk usage. I turned off superfetch, updated all my drivers, and screamed at my computer multiple times without results.

Original title: Window 10 and 100% Disk Usage on Task Manager

SeanTobin, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Gil deG Win User
    Gil deG, Jan 19, 2018
  4. Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager

My guess is that this might be a side-effect of the Fall Creator's Update (FCU) being loaded onto your PC.

Microsoft very recently released their FCU to the general public, so PCs that were not seeing it previous, will start seeing it, and downloading it, now.

When I applied this to my PCs, it took over three HOURS for each PC, and it rendered the PC pretty much useless during that timeframe --due to the downloading, prep, and installation efforts required.

In Win10, the only indication you are likely to see regarding this, since Windows Update runs in the background, is a general slowdown of the PC, a lack of responsiveness, and the disk usage being very high while it is downloading the Upgrade files.

To check on this, go into Settings --> Update & Security --> Windows Update and look at the Update Status. If it is downloading the FCU files, you will see an indication there,

If that is happening, there is little you can do about this other than letting it finish, for if you reboot, that might hose up the PC, and if you cancel the Upgrade, it will simply start over again and do it later.

Mark Phelps, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Resource Monitor gives you a more detailed view of what files every process is accessing. That way you can see if some particular files are being constantly accessed.

Task Manager->Performance->Open Resource Manager->Disk->Sort by Total

Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [​IMG]

If that doesn't help then collect a log using the instructions from BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums and post the .zip file here so we can take a look at your config and event log to see if there's anything suspicious.

PolarNettles, Jan 19, 2018
  6. zinou Win User
    Is your disk SSD or mechanical ?

Have you checked the disk health with tools like DiskSentinel Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring

Ifyour disk is healthy then that mean it's not a hardware issue but software, andyou need Windows Performance Toolkit to identify the root cause;

• Open a command line as Administrator;
    • Type this command "wpr -start generalprofile -start CPU -start DiskIO"; this will start trace recording.
    • While recording the trace, try to work on your system for about 2 minutes.
    • Then type this command to stop trace recording "wpr -stop C:\Temp\MyTrace.etl". Make sure the folder where you record the trace exist.
    • Compress the resulting file (Important)
    • Share it through TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.
    I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you

zinou, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager

1. Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager - Similar Threads - 100% disk usage

2. Disk usage in task manager always at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk usage in task manager always at 100%: I have a HP Pavilion 15 cs1063cl. I have been using it for 4 years. I keep having issues with the disk being 100% all the time. I faced many problems trying to resolve this which brought new problems. But in the end I made a Clean Installation. Even now the disk is still in...
  3. Disk usage in task manager always at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk usage in task manager always at 100%: I have a HP Pavilion 15 cs1063cl. I have been using it for 4 years. I keep having issues with the disk being 100% all the time. I faced many problems trying to resolve this which brought new problems. But in the end I made a Clean Installation. Even now the disk is still in...
  4. Disk usage in task manager always at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk Usage stuck on 100% in Windows Task Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage stuck on 100% in Windows Task Manager: Hi, I have had this problem with my PC pretty much since I bought it 3 years ago and I have tried everything I can find to fix it. This problem was both on Windows 10 and 11.The only way to stop my PC Disk running at 100% is to turn my computer off by holding the power button...
  6. Disk Usage stuck on 100% in Windows Task Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Usage stuck on 100% in Windows Task Manager: Hi, I have had this problem with my PC pretty much since I bought it 3 years ago and I have tried everything I can find to fix it. This problem was both on Windows 10 and 11.The only way to stop my PC Disk running at 100% is to turn my computer off by holding the power button...
  7. 100% Disk Usage in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk Usage in Task Manager: Hi people of the r/windows 10 subreddit. I've had this problem for about a week now where the disk usage is at 100% constantly in the task manager. After a few minutes it goes down a bit but when I launch an app it almost instantly goes back to 100%. I tried a lot of fixes...
  8. Disk usage 100 % in task Manager

Disk usage 100 % in task Manager: my disk usage in task manger reaches to 100 % in very short intervals and the system become unresponsive. this problem is from day 1 in my system. I have read lots of solution on internet but nothing helps. Now I have final done a reset of windows by formatting complete...
  9. Windows 10 100% disk usage, Task Manager shows no program.

Windows 10 100% disk usage, Task Manager shows no program.: March 26th 2019 all the computers in my house are jumping to 100% disk. I troubleshooted one of the computers and went through a long list of things to get the disk down. I have disabled programs, made sure everything is up to date, even reset my computer to factory settings....
  10. Task manager showing disk usage 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task manager showing disk usage 100%: I have reset my laptop to factory settings still task manger showing disk usage 100 %. response is too slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-showing-disk-usage-100/ba3a557c-6680-4218-a375-12fb649c58a5

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell inspiron 15 5000 series windows 10 task manager shows cpu usage and c drive high usage on start up more than normal