Windows 10: [Windows 10 1511] Problem with Menu Start shortcuts

Discus and support [Windows 10 1511] Problem with Menu Start shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear Friends First of all, hello to everybody! *Smile It's my first post here at this great TenForums. I have got a problem with proper sorting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by UTAVATU, Jul 3, 2016.

1. UTAVATU Win User

[Windows 10 1511] Problem with Menu Start shortcuts

Dear Friends

First of all, hello to everybody! *Smile It's my first post here at this great TenForums.

I have got a problem with proper sorting of my shortcuts in Menu Start. English is not my first language, so please forgive me my poor English. I will describe my problem as good as it's possible. I have installed for example Winamp and after installation, there is a shortcut named Winamp under "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". When I go to "Start>Menu Start>All programs" there are lots of shortcuts of installed programs and there is also my Winamp shortcut under letter "W". I would like to change name of the Winamp shortcut to "Nullsoft - Winamp", to have it located under letter "N", but when I change name to "Nullsoft - Winamp" it's still visible under letter "W" instead of "N" in my "Start>Menu Start>All programs".

I have tried deleting and creating once more shortcut to Winamp with name "Nullsoft - Winamp", but it's still not under the right letter, always "W" instead "N". I have checked something, when I click Properties of this shortcut I have got in field Target Path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe", so I have added after some case for example "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe" -anything and then I have saved such shortcut, guess what, my "Nullsoft - Winamp" is now at letter "N". When I go once more to shortcut Properties and remove "-anything" and my Target Path is once again "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe" and then I click save, my "Nullsoft - Winamp" is once again in wrong place, under letter "W".

I don't know, why this is happening. Are there any cache, settings, fix which I can use to have a proper sorting and order in my Menu Start? I hope you understand my English.

I would be glad for any help and support.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

:)

UTAVATU, Jul 3, 2016
  2. KEmail Win User

Windows 10 : Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming

Hello !

I'm using windows 10 buid 1511

I have a strange issue :

When I install a new program , a shortcut is created on start menu , and this shortcut is located correctly according to first letter , for example "Adobe Photoshop CC" , is located under "A" section on start menu.

But if I rename this shortcut to "Photoshop CC" , the shortcut remain under "A" section and will not go under "P" section as it should be.

There's no option to refresh or re-arrange items on start menu.

How can I resolve this problem ?

Thank you !

KEmail, Jul 3, 2016
  3. When i pin icon to Start Menu, it won't show.

Original title: windows 10 1511 update

I have just updated my windows 10 to the new release 1511.when I install some software/games it will no longer show a shortcut tile on the start menu. I can right click the application file and gives me the option to pin to start but when go there nothing
    is showing. Strange when on previous version all worked

JasonDevoy, Jul 3, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

I believe this is because the sort order is determined by the first letter of the file to which the shortcut points. So in your case the file is winamp.exe

When you changed the entry the shortcut no longer pointed to a valid filename and so Windows used the first letter of the shortcut name to position it in the list.

In Windows 10 there are all sorts of ways of starting programs and apps. So, if after clicking the start menu, you just type the first letter of the app you want, you will immediately get a list of all the apps starting with that letter. You may find this is quicker and easier to do.

philc43, Jul 3, 2016
  5. UTAVATU Win User
    Dear philc43

Thank you for your fast reply. Maybe you are right about quicker findings, but this is not a solution for my problem. I have this problem with every shortcuts of any installed applications. Why Windows 10 is still remember the old name of the shortcut and place it in All Apps under Menu Start with old first letter of shortcut naming? Maybe there is some database, cache or something similar, which need to be refreshed? Or maybe there is a problem with Menu Start elements, which also need to be refreshed?

Someone have got the same problem with Windows 10 1511?

Please try changing name of any of your shortcuts and see, if it is placed under right letter in All Apps under Menu Start.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

UTAVATU, Jul 3, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    As I explained, it is not the name of the shortcut that determines its sort order. It is the name of the file that the shortcut points to.

To prove this I just changed a shortcut I have for GIMP 2 which appears under the G section. My new shortcut name is My GIMP 2 and it still shows up under the G section because the new shortcut is still referencing a file called gimp-2.8.exe which begins with G.

philc43, Jul 3, 2016
  7. UTAVATU Win User
    Dear philc43

So you have the same problem, because this is a bug. I have called to my friend, which work with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB version and there is no such problem at all. He may change name of his shortcuts and there are also placed under a proper letter Menu Start under All Apps. So the Windows 10 has something wrong with version 1511, LTSB has got 10240 as latest build.

Thank you once more for your support.

Sincerely

UTAVATU, Jul 3, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Thanks for the follow up. Please report this to Microsoft via their Windows Feedback app. It is difficult to know what are bugs and what are features these days! *Smile

philc43, Jul 3, 2016
  9. UTAVATU Win User
    Dear philc43

Yep, that's true. I have workaround for my problem, just need to create vbs script that contains:

Code: Dim objShell Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") objShell.Run("""<target_path>""<arguments>") Set objShell = Nothing[/quote] For example, to create a shortcut to launch Steam in silent mode you need to create vbs file with:

Code: Dim objShell Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") objShell.Run("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe""-silent") Set objShell = Nothing[/quote] ...and give it a name: Valve - Steam.vbs, then create shortcut with it as Target Path, choose your shortcut icon from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe and name this shortcut as Valve - Steam.lnk. Final step is to copy Valve - Steam.lnk under %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

After this you will have Valve - Steam​ shortcut under letter "V" in All Apps under Menu Start! *Smile

Maybe someone will also search for a fix of the problem I have described for shortcuts in Windows 10 1511, so here you are *Wink Of course you need to delete the default shortcut for Steam created during installation of this application.

Sincerely

UTAVATU, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. [Windows 10 1511] Problem with Menu Start shortcuts - Similar Threads - 1511 Problem Menu

2. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  3. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  4. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  5. OneDrive Start Menu Shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Start Menu Shortcut: I used to have a shortcut on my Start Menu for OneDrive and no matter what I do I can not get it to stay there any longer....I create a shortcut and the next day its gone again. I really liked having it on the Start Menu instead of the Taskbar. Is there anything I can do??...
  6. Change Start Menu Shortcut

Change Start Menu Shortcut: I recently reinstalled a program and the shortcut in the start menu points to a incorrect location, so the program won't start. How do I change the shortcut to point to the correct location?...
  7. Missing shortcut on Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing shortcut on Start menu: Hi There, So I have a question if is ok. I put a folder on start menu : [img] (The "Downloads" Folder) If I click on it, this happens : [img] What should I do ? 57943
  8. Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu: Whenever I try to move, delete or rename a shortcut in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or its subfolders, appears this window (but the shortcut is moved, deleted or renamed without problems): [img] Really it is not a problem, but it seems that...
  9. Issues with Start menu icons after 1511

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with Start menu icons after 1511: Hi guys how are you? I have an issue after the upgrade to 1511 build, it was made via Windows Update Take a look at the image, the icons now at the start menu have diferent colors , before all had the same color , the grey one just like the team viewer icon for example...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914