Windows 10: Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder

Discus and support Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When running disk cleanup, when I included 'clean up system files' the last entry was 'downloaded files 79gb'. The description was activex controls and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Simon.HCS, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Simon.HCS Win User

Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder

When running disk cleanup, when I included 'clean up system files' the last entry was 'downloaded files 79gb'. The description was activex controls and javaapplets temporarily stored in the downloads folder.

I don't know why I thought there could possibly be that volume of temporary system files but in the event, I stupidly hit enter and lost the entire contents of my download folder. There's nothing in trash and nothing in file history..... I have a screen print of the list but see no way to upload it here.

Any suggestions on what happened and how to recover the data?

Thanks

:)

Simon.HCS, Feb 9, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 9, 2019
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    WindowsApps Folder Cleanup

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I Suggest you to take ownership of the folder and attempt to delete the contents of the folder, I recommend you to try the below steps:

Step 1:

Follow the steps listed in
    Access Denied
    or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows.

Step 2:

Check for the article
    Disk cleanup
    in Windows 10

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking yes Or No.

Mithin EJ

Microsoft Community- Moderator

Mithin_EJ, Feb 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder

Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Feb 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder

1. Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder - Similar Threads - 1803 17134 Disk

2. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  3. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  4. Will deleting "Downloads" in Disk Cleanup completely erase everything in my downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Will deleting "Downloads" in Disk Cleanup completely erase everything in my downloads folder?: Im wondering this because im trying to speed up my pc and i saw the "Downloads" on disk cleanup. I have alot of stuff in there and i dont want want to delete it because idk if it will make me have to reinstall EVERYTHING such as Steam....
  5. Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders

Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders: Hi, I am using Disk cleanup tools to clean my PC once in a while. I found a problem while trying to clean my Download folder. As per the size stated in Disk Cleanup, my Download folder is empty 0kb. But in actual fact, there are still some big sizes folders in the Download...
  6. why is windows 10 deleting the contents of the download folder

why is windows 10 deleting the contents of the download folder: windows 10 is deleteing the contents from the download folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-windows-10-deleting-the-contents-of-the/1e629346-bd60-46b3-abbb-388e2897be81"
  7. Deleted "Download" folder files in using disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted "Download" folder files in using disk cleanup: I'm not aware that in newer version of Windows 10 (i don't know in what particular update) that they included in Disk clean up the deletion of Download files. And now i can't recover anymore my files even using any recovery tools. I already downloaded many files in download...
  8. Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder: I ran disk clean up last night, and noticed that the Downloads folder were an option. On account that I’ve used this tool for decades, and that it says that it removes «unnecessary files», I thought that I would clean up some leftovers from various updates. But instead it...
  9. My Win10 DOWNLOAD folder contents get deleted

My Win10 DOWNLOAD folder contents get deleted: This has to be in my Top 10 weirdest problems in all the years since Windows 98. For a week or so each day I replace the 1/2 dozen files in my Download folder. Then when I check the next day they are all deleted again... with both my Toshiba laptop and my Dell desktop....
  10. Disk Cleanup - downloads folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup - downloads folder: Just noticed that 1809 disk cleanup now has downloads in the list - could cause problems if you're not paying attention. I'm used to blindly ticking all boxes... [img] 122195

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 deleted my downloads folder contents

2. disk cleanup windows 10 downloads erased

3. undo deletind downloads via disk cleaner