Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives?

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 on a new HP desktop. I ran Windows updates, pulled a drive out of an old Windows 7 PC, connected it via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by d_logan, Nov 9, 2018.

1. d_logan Win User

Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives?

I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 on a new HP desktop. I ran Windows updates, pulled a drive out of an old Windows 7 PC, connected it via SATA to the new PC to copy data. I left it in overnight.

This morning I came in, unplugged the drive and connected it to the original machine to boot. NOPE!

The freakin' drive is bitlocked. I'm in the process of unencrypting it now (plugged back into the new HP Win 10 machine).

How was this decision made to automatically encrypt drives without even prompting the user? This is the most ridiculous decision ever!

We should have to turn bitlocker ON if we need it, not have to decrypt and disable if we don't! If you can't tell, I'm enraged with Microsoft at the moment.

:)

d_logan, Nov 9, 2018
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Viruzz Win User
    HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives?

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives?

1. Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives? - Similar Threads - 1803 automatically bitlocking

2. Bitlocker: automatically unlock removable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker: automatically unlock removable drive: Hello,I have a Windows 10 pro installation with Bitlocker enabled for C:/ and 3 additional hard drives.Hard drives and bitlocker:- C:/ enabled- D:/ disabled- X:/ enabled- Y:/ disabledC: and D: is my new windows 10 install. X: and Y: is my old windows 10 install that I plugged...
  3. Bitlocker: automatically unlock removable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker: automatically unlock removable drive: Hello,I have a Windows 10 pro installation with Bitlocker enabled for C:/ and 3 additional hard drives.Hard drives and bitlocker:- C:/ enabled- D:/ disabled- X:/ enabled- Y:/ disabledC: and D: is my new windows 10 install. X: and Y: is my old windows 10 install that I plugged...
  4. Bitlocker: automatically unlock removable drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 server with an OS drive encrypted with BitLocker and automatically unlocking the drive.There is also a data drive using RAID that is BitLocker encrypted and it requires a BitLocker password.Everytime the server reboots someone has to be there...
  6. BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 server with an OS drive encrypted with BitLocker and automatically unlocking the drive.There is also a data drive using RAID that is BitLocker encrypted and it requires a BitLocker password.Everytime the server reboots someone has to be there...
  7. BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically

Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically: Hi,I have recently reset my PC to have a clean installation of Windows in C drive. PC reset was successful but my D & E drives are automatically locked by Bitlocker. I have contacted Microsoft for resolution. It seems that the drives are locked automatically by Bitlocker due...
  9. Suspending Bitlocker is automatically reverted. Decrypting drive automatically starts...

Suspending Bitlocker is automatically reverted. Decrypting drive automatically starts...: I'm another victim of the bitlocker fiasco. What is going on here? I have removed all TPM codes. I believe my drive is NOT using bitlocker encryption (Lock icon on the drive is "unlocked", but I still see the option to suspend encryption with the very odd behavior that when...
  10. Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker

Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker: Hi, I recently bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and noticed that BitLocker had turned on automatically on both C and D drives. Is this normal?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new laptop auto bitlocking 2019

2. windows 10 1803 auto encrypt registry key