Windows 10: Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu

Discus and support Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu in Cortana to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 version 1803 on a Surface Pro 4. Suddenly, Cortana stopped working and I am unable to type via the start menu. I tried... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by AngeloMercy, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu

I am running Windows 10 version 1803 on a Surface Pro 4. Suddenly, Cortana stopped working and I am unable to type via the start menu. I tried re-registering cortana via powershell, rebuilding the index file, checking if Cortana runs under another users profile, and made sure all windows updates were installed and the surface firmware and drivers were all up to date. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

:)

AngeloMercy, Dec 13, 2018

2. Unable to access Start menu and Cortana in Windows 10

Hello Kevin,

As you are unable to access Start menu and Cortana on your device we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu and Cortana?

This issue might have occurred due to missing/ corrupted system files on your device. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

• Press Windows + R keys, to open
      Run command.
    • Type cmd and hit Enter to open
      Command Prompt.
    • Type the command "sfc /scannow" without the quotes
      and hit Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu

Start menu and Cortana is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• What are the steps you have followed to reset your PC?

• Do you get any error code or error message?
    I would suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft help article to resolve issues with start menu and cortana. Refer to the below link:

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Arul_D, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu

1. Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu - Similar Threads - 1803 Cortana working

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps: Hello, I am unable to type in the search bar in start menu when I click search icon or when I disable the search icon and type directly to the Start menu. In Mail app I also can not type anything. However, I am typing this question using the exact same laptop, so the...
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: When I select the Start Menu, the menu does not appear. Same with using the Windows button on keyboard. I cannot access the Start Menu. How do I correct this? Thank you....
  6. Start menu not working, Cortana not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu not working, Cortana not working.: I'm on Windows 10 and the following stopped working: Start menu Cortana Notifications on task bar Wifi connections list button on task bar Windows + I ( We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date) I...
  7. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  8. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  9. Cortana and Start Menu aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu aren't working: I upgraded to Win 10 a week ago and after a long updating session was well pleased with the OS - everything seemed to work normally and much faster than before. However, a day after the last updates were installed (KB3081449 and KB3081448) my normal screen appeared with a...
  10. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pro version 1803 cortana doesnt show in start menu

2. unable to type in cortana windows 10

3. cortana not searching unable to type

4. windows 10 pro cortana doesnt show typed results,
  5. windows 10 1803 cortana i cant connect at the moment,
  6. Cortina not able to type,
  7. cortana not in start menu not installed,
  8. unable to access cortana in windows 10,
  9. unable to type on cortana