Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 file association issue

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 file association issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi guys.. came across this issue on several brand new machines 2 x intel NUC 1 x microsoft surface pro 4 Booted up ran all the windows updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlenBabic, Oct 1, 2018.

1. AlenBabic Win User

Windows 10 1803 file association issue

Hi guys.. came across this issue on several brand new machines

2 x intel NUC

1 x microsoft surface pro 4

Booted up ran all the windows updates first.. so all fresh install

joined domain

installed filemaker

tried to associate filemaker file (.FMP12) to filemaker

selected the appropriate executable

does not associate.

Same process worked fine on 1709.

tired association before joining the domain.. same issue...

one of nuc machines reinstalled windows and did not update to 1803. file association worked fine..

unfortunately for surface I cannot revert back to 1709

even factory reset has kept the 1803 version

tried registry hack.. no go..

no matter what I do it just won't remember the file association

any help would be welcome

thank you

:)

AlenBabic, Oct 1, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 1, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    Lost file associations, esp RTF

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems.

First, what is your current build (Windows key + R, winver)?

- I'm not sure what that means- grammatically you're referring to a restore point... or perhaps you mean your other option is to upgrade?? But perhaps you are already using 1803, and you mean a restore point to 1803 base build.

Second, if you are on 1803, and have another restore point, that would be the obvious thing to try.
    However System Restore doesn't always work when you want it to- which is why we continually and frequently advocate the routine use of disk imaging e.g. using Macrium Reflect (free) + large enough external storage.

Do you use disk imaging by any chance?

If you have upgraded to 1803, then some people are encountering some difficulties. Perhaps that's what you're referring to.

Wordpad is included in the OS so can't be reinstalled separately.

There's no obvious cause, so I suggest a couple of basic steps:
    a. run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    from an admin command prompt and report the result

b. do an antivirus scan

Finally see:
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

- which may help you restore associations- but this depends on the underlying cause.

The Tutorial section from which that comes is worth being familiar with:
    Windows 10 Tutorials
    searchable list:
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index | Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Oct 1, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

Yeah, they play perfectly fine.

Thanks, this did the trick perfectly!

I'm scratching my head then, because so far every computer I update to 1803, even fresh installs, can no longer read the details of mkv files. But at least icaros fixes the problem for now. Hopefully the bug is fixed in Windows natively eventually.

newtekie1, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1803 file association issue - Similar Threads - 1803 file association

2. File Association issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Association issues in Windows 10: When installing an Adobe app, files associations work as expected. When I install a beta version of the same Adobe app, files association are moved to the beta version of the Adobe app. Once that happens, there is no way to move the file association back to the regular app...
  3. File Association issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association issues in Windows 10: When installing an Adobe app, files associations work as expected. When I install a beta version of the same Adobe app, files association are moved to the beta version of the Adobe app. Once that happens, there is no way to move the file association back to the regular app...
  4. File Association issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File Association Issue

File Association Issue: I have an issue with file associations that is not related to the bug in 1803 (KB4462919). I have updated to 1809 and to 1903 insider to verify if the issue would be solved, but it has not. I have some file types that will not associate with the application no matter what....
  6. About File Associations Re: 1803

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About File Associations Re: 1803: So I have seen plenty of what appear to me to be somewhat complicated fixes that I do not quite understand most dealing with the registry https://p0w3rsh3ll.wordpress.com/201...-associations/ so I was wondering if there is anything new out there that is for dummies. Came...
  7. About File Associations Re: 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    About File Associations Re: 1803: So I have seen plenty of what appear to me to be somewhat complicated fixes that I do not quite understand most dealing with the registry https://p0w3rsh3ll.wordpress.com/201...-associations/ so I was wondering if there is anything new out there that is for dummies. Came...
  8. File associations issue

File associations issue: I cannot change file associations for all file types. To be concise, if I right click the file then Properties then General Tab then Change (Opens with) then Choose the app I want, then ok, I receive a disappeared dialog window, the Change button starts flashing and the...
  9. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....
  10. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create association between macrium refletc file and an application

2. file association windows 10 version 1803

3. 1803 files accocation issue

4. cant change file association windows 10 1803,
  5. windows 10 1803 explorer bug file enumerationsn fix