Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but won't find shared files on network

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but won't find shared files on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I know this is not a unique problem, but all solutions that I have been offered do not work. Background. I have a three computer network in my home.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mayrob, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Mayrob Win User

Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but won't find shared files on network

I know this is not a unique problem, but all solutions that I have been offered do not work.

Background. I have a three computer network in my home. Two desktop PC's running Windows 7, and a laptop running Windows 7. The two PC's are connect to the network via a hardwired connection. The laptop is wireless. All three devices are on a workgroup name WORKGROUP. All three of my original devices share each others printers, and most importantly FILES.

My problem began last week when I acquired a new ACER laptop with Windows 10, 1803. I have been trying to connect to my other computers in the network.

1. I can see and connect to those computers from the Windows 10 laptop and share the printers and the Public Files.

2. I cannot access user files on those computer, and those computers cannot access user files on my new Windows 10 computer.

3. This is the screen that I get when attempting to connect.

Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but won't find shared files on network 609d6567-e368-4e8b-a53f-89d035718939?upload=true.png

4. I have been up and down the internet looking answers and everything that has been suggested does not work.

5. All computers are set to share.

Please help.

:)

Mayrob, Oct 1, 2018
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

printer won't work on network but will over usb

his printer has a built-in print server.

What you need to know what ip is being give to the printer. Perhaps you can print a status sheet from the printer.

Then Go to printers in control panel

add a new printer

local printer attached, uncheck automatically detect and install PnP printer

create a new port, select standard tcp/ip port

a new window should open and enter the ip there where it says printer name or IP address (port name then should be also be filled as you go)

and pretty much follow the rest of the steps, you will need to install the printer drivers.

These steps is the easy, but not the right way.

The right way is to use the network option on the initial screw and search for the printer server...but that can be tricky to configure.

3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

4. RWOne Win User

Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but won't find shared files on network

Can't share printer on my 10 with a win7 computer on the same network.

Start with basics, on your system re-share it out to everyone, no password, etc.

On an aside, printer sharing is not modern networking (by a longshot).

if you had a network capable printer, you install the SW on both machines, and both have access, no need for the computer it is attached to to be on for the other to have access, and less headaches than sharing.

Review and follow these steps:

How To Share A USB Printer Over Your Network In Windows 10

RWOne, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but won't find shared files on network - Similar Threads - 1803 finds computers

2. Can't find network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find network printer: Hi,I'm trying to add a network printer, but i'm having problems finding it.I'm connected to a wifi network configured as public. I have network discovery for public networks activated on advanced sharing settings, ans it's also allowed on firewall settings, but i can't find...
  3. Can't find network printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find network printer: Hi,I'm trying to add a network printer, but i'm having problems finding it.I'm connected to a wifi network configured as public. I have network discovery for public networks activated on advanced sharing settings, ans it's also allowed on firewall settings, but i can't find...
  4. laptop cannot find shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop cannot find shared printer: My laptop cannot find my shared printer on my desktop. Both are running Windows 10. Printer is wired to desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-cannot-find-shared-printer/6a086319-56d9-45bf-89c0-55edc24b01fc
  5. laptop cannot find shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop cannot find shared printer: My laptop cannot find my shared printer on my desktop. Both are running Windows 10. Printer is wired to desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-cannot-find-shared-printer/6a086319-56d9-45bf-89c0-55edc24b01fc
  6. Cannot find network printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot find network printer: I just had to do a fresh install of Windows. I have a networked printer, HP LaserJet 1320n, that cannot be found even if I put in the its IP address. What is the best forum to post this? Thanks, Jeff Windows 10.0.18363 149634
  7. Share printer wont find

Share printer wont find: how to add a Share printer which is in same network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-printer-wont-find/3e8dc33d-d6af-4fa5-987c-0589b3869d77
  8. Unable to find network printer

Unable to find network printer: Hi, I am using Win 10 version 1803 on my desktop . My desktop is connected via LAN with my dlink router. My printer epson l4160 is connect via wifi with the router . When I am going to Add a printer option , I can't find the printer . Add a bluetooth ,wireless or...
  9. 3d printer won't find computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3d printer won't find computer: Ok so I've just got a second hand UP mini 2, and I'm wanting to print some things ei: halo stuff And the printer won't connect to my computer and I've tried looking in YouTube but they are all just reviews. Halp me please...
  10. Find Printer network name

Find Printer network name: Hi, I am trying to find the network name of my printer to put in a Printer Queue shortcut I have tried these with no success. C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /o /n HP6CC21747B66E C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /o /n...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 1803 finds computers and printers but wont find shared files on network