Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 Hardware Watchdog Triggered a System Reset

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 Hardware Watchdog Triggered a System Reset in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; OK, I'm bringing this here because apparently I am no longer able to hold off the "upgrade" to Windows 10 (Pro) 1803. I have tried multiple times in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by FeMaster, Jul 22, 2019.

1. FeMaster Win User

Windows 10 1803 Hardware Watchdog Triggered a System Reset

OK, I'm bringing this here because apparently I am no longer able to hold off the "upgrade" to Windows 10 (Pro) 1803. I have tried multiple times in the past to "upgrade" to 1803 from 1709 and every single time I do, the system is seriously unstable, locks up, and then the Hardware Watchdog is constantly forcing a system reboot. I've rolled back multiple times to 1709 because of this, and I've NEVER have had a problem with 1709.

Well, since I'm now stuck with 1803, I want this problem fixed. Since it's a Microsoft created problem, I expect that Microsoft is going to be the one to help me fix it. Let me know what information you need and I will provide it to the best of my ability (in between the repeated crashes).

Details at this point:

Custom built PC running Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6700) Processor

8GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

Crucial BX100 250GB SSD

Two Western Digital 1TB HDDs with a Windows created Spanned Volume

Anything else, any logs, etc., let me know. I can't run this system like this, and it's pretty pointless to attempt to roll back to 1709 as I'm apparently not able to push off 1803 any longer.

Thanks!

:)

FeMaster, Jul 22, 2019
  2. #1Pupper Win User

"The system watchdog timer was triggered."

Exactly one week ago, my laptop froze hard. Everything on it stopped responding and I had to restart it.

Now, it did not freeze, but shut itself down as if it had suddenly run out of power (it had not and was still plugged in).

Both times, checking the event viewer revealed these messages:

Event ID: 13

Source: HAL

Task Category: None

"The system watchdog timer was triggered."

Quickly followed by:

Event ID: 41

Source: Kernel-Power

Task Category: (63)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

And:

Event ID: 142

Source: Kernel-Power

Task Category: (173)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset."

Based on what I read already, the watchdog timer is supposed to turn the computer off if it fails to respond for long enough (such as by getting stuck in an infinite loop). I want to know why it's doing this, though...

I'm kind of hoping that it's just some sort of heating issue that will go away if I clean it, but the temperature monitors are saying the temperature is fine. It also doesn't seem to have any malware that I know of. I also checked the RAM and the hard drive
    and those were fine too.

I'm feeling like it might be a hardware issue, but how can I diagnose that?

Edited to add: Just to be clear, there was no blue screen or error message either time. The first time it just froze completely and the second it shut itself down out of the blue while I was using the internet.

#1Pupper, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 22, 2019
  4. AndreePin Win User

DPC Watchdog Error

Hi,

DPC Watchdog Violation (error code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation) is a common issue in the Windows operating system. It's occurred due to some specific reasons, like unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version, hardware incompatibility
    issues, or system files are corrupted. To isolate this concern, kindly answer the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so
      far?

AndreePin, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1803 Hardware Watchdog Triggered a System Reset - Similar Threads - 1803 Hardware Watchdog

2. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: I have the following issue even after reinstalled win11 and all the drivers. My system keep crashing and restarting on his own.Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HAL"...
  3. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: I have the following issue even after reinstalled win11 and all the drivers. My system keep crashing and restarting on his own.Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HAL"...
  4. How to trigger reset for User

How to trigger reset for User: We have a user that cannot reset their password, they have tried office.com forgot password and we tried to reset a password reset via portal azure AD, no matter what method we do and no matter what kind of password we put 12-14-16 characters it does not take the password...
  5. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: Source: HALEvent ID: 13My system shows three of these errors in the last 24 hours. Any idea for a fix?CPU: 7800X3DGPU: 7900XTXMotherboard: ASUS X670E - PRO WIFIRAM: DDR5-6000 CL36...
  6. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: Source: HALEvent ID: 13My system shows three of these errors in the last 24 hours. Any idea for a fix?CPU: 7800X3DGPU: 7900XTXMotherboard: ASUS X670E - PRO WIFIRAM: DDR5-6000 CL36...
  7. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

8. Computer wakes from hibernation, triggered by "System time synchronized with the hardware...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer wakes from hibernation, triggered by "System time synchronized with the hardware...: Hi, I am having my PC come out of hibernation every morning at the same time, with the following trigger: The system time has changed to ‎2021‎-‎03‎-‎01T12:27:52.500000000Z from ‎2021‎-‎02‎-‎26T22:26:24.126921000Z. Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware...
  9. "The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns

"The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns: From time to time my laptop's screen turns black or shuts itself down randomly. This errors and more occurred before I clean installed Windows 10 two weeks ago, too. Everything else seem to work fine now, but this keeps bothering me. I checked the event viewer and I think...
  10. LiveKernelEvent triggered by a hardware error.

LiveKernelEvent triggered by a hardware error.: I checked Reliablity Monitor today and saw that a piece of hardware failed and stopped Windows from working. I left the computer on all night by accident as I saw that the error occurred before I woke up. Please tell me what the cause of this is. Here is what it says on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the system watchdog timer was triggered

2. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

3. this error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.